• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Heavily Pursuing Potential Trade for J.T. Miller

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

Anyway, it's been said already, but it bears repeating (if for no other reason than to make @The Dude dig up old posts of his that said the same but got no love):

Miller is perfect. Especially with retention. Can play center or wing, and can play both well. Moreover, he plays a style of game perfectly suited for playoff hockey. I've been all about Giroux, but if the assets to pull the deal off are effectively the same, I'd much rather Miller than Giroux simply because I think he'll give that 2RW or 3C spot an element they lack entirely right now.

He really is a perfect fit (as long as it's with retention). Still needs us to Reade Chytil at some point if he isn't included in the deal. 

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He really is a perfect fit (as long as it's with retention). Still needs us to Reade Chytil at some point if he isn't included in the deal. 

And that's probably fine; Chytil is many levels of disappointing but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that at his price tag someone thinks they can "fix" him.

15 minutes ago, G1000 said:

And that's probably fine; Chytil is many levels of disappointing but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that at his price tag someone thinks they can "fix" him.

100%. And I'd still love to see us pursue a real 3c. We have 1/2c. We even have 4c. 3c? Good row maybe? He dorks t really help Alf's growth though and whether we want to admit it or not, Alf isn't surpassing kreider or bread for years in all likelihood so getting him a 3c that might aid in his development but also solidify a defensive side as well should be a priority. 

8 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

If the Canucks trade JT Miller and retain 50%, they have $12.6mil in cap space to re-sign Brock Boeser, replace JT Miller's production, find a new starting goaltender, and then find four other forwards and a defenseman to fill out the roster. Luckily for them Boeser is having a very mediocre year, but I don't think they would want to put themselves in a cap crunch unless the returning assets are over the moon.

Kakko straight up with retention.  Anyone doing it?

2 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Play with the chips in front of you. Not with what you used to have. Miller is a different player than when we traded him. The landscape has shifted dramatically on that front 

But is he still an asshole or whatever his issuewas that got him dealt as a throw in?

Possibly going to his 3rd team in 4 1/2 seasons, tells me there might still be an issue with him. 

I pass and throw Kakko, Chytil and a pick at them for Horvat or Boeser. 

59 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Kakko straight up with retention.  Anyone doing it?

That would blow up in our faces for sure

he might not be putting a lot of points on the board but he’s more confident carrying the put and the light will go on

• Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, Go Blue said:

he might not be putting a lot of points on the board but he’s more confident carrying the put and the light will go on

And he is finally putting his skates on by himself.  Still isn't tying them though. But he's doing so much betterrrrrr.

• LMFAO 1

22 minutes ago, Go Blue said:

Probably not, but there's no reason to move him. He's a reliable player even if you can't rely on him to score.

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Because @Keirik is desperately trying to will this into existence.

I just want to go on record I said I wanted JT Miller first a couple of months ago lol. I’m just liking other options too and unsure which I like more 

Also to the peanut gallery that thinks Gourde can’t get traded, let’s keep in mind that Seattle traded Vanacek back days after drafting him. Plus they signed/drafted 12 guys that are either rfa or ufa next year so I think they know this is a long process. Hell they drafted two guys they didn’t even retain going into the year I think. I really think everyone on that roster is available outside of maybe Wennberg, Grubauer, Donskoi, McCann if the price is right. Plus they have 30m in cap space this coming offseason so even if they lost a Gourde, they are one of the few teams that could make a real splash in the offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I just want to go on record I said I wanted JT Miller first a couple of months ago lol. I’m just liking other options too and unsure which I like more 

Also to the peanut gallery that thinks Gourde can’t get traded, let’s keep in mind that Seattle traded Vanacek back days after drafting him. Plus they signed/drafted 12 guys that are either rfa or ufa next year so I think they know this is a long process. Hell they drafted two guys they didn’t even retain going into the year I think. I really think everyone on that roster is available outside of maybe Wennberg, Grubauer, Donskoi, McCann if the price is right. Plus they have 30m in cap space this coming offseason so even if they lost a Gourde, they are one of the few teams that could make a real splash in the offseason. 

Bluntly, I'm with you and I wouldn't push Gourde off the table here. Not that I'd prefer him, not that he's the right fit to replace Strome (I don't think SEA does anything with retention beyond this season), but because I have legitimately no fucking idea what Seattle's plan is besides "save cap space and be bad" and trading Gourde would check both boxes.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Bluntly, I'm with you and I wouldn't push Gourde off the table here. Not that I'd prefer him, not that he's the right fit to replace Strome (I don't think SEA does anything with retention beyond this season), but because I have legitimately no fucking idea what Seattle's plan is besides "save cap space and be bad" and trading Gourde would check both boxes.

That’s kinda where I’m at. The reason I say gourde is solely based on retention and how he seamless fits in at 3c or up and down the lineup.  Frankly, retention for Seattle is not even remotely an issue. I have no clue what Seattle is doing because they aren’t building a team around Giordano, Eberle, amd Gourde so my only guess is they got guys they thought were higher chips for maneuvers. 

Im just trying to think diamonds in the rough that fill a need or two and wouldn’t be just a pure rental. Miller isn’t, but he’s gone after next year anyway.  To me, it would be a genius move to get a 3c to play along ALF until he’s ready to take the next step and still be helping us for 3 seasons with very little cap cost. As long as Chytil goes the other direction, Gourde at half cap hit doesn’t affect our ability to resign Strome so we are good there. THEN we also look for that rental for this years playoff push with the still extra cap space we have. 

A 2 time cup winner at 3c that could cost 2.5m with a track record of sliding up the lineup and performing or down the lineup and still putting up a good 30 points is a real coup that we would look back on later thankful. Plus as I said, it’s not like he asked to go to Seattle. He was just a product of the numbers. 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

That’s kinda where I’m at. The reason I say gourde is solely based on retention and how he seamless fits in at 3c or up and down the lineup.  Frankly, retention for Seattle is not even remotely an issue. I have no clue what Seattle is doing because they aren’t building a team around Giordano, Eberle, amd Gourde so my only guess is they got guys they thought were higher chips for maneuvers. 

Im just trying to think diamonds in the rough that fill a need or two and wouldn’t be just a pure rental. Miller isn’t, but he’s gone after next year anyway.  To me, it would be a genius move to get a 3c to play along ALF until he’s ready to take the next step and still be helping us for 3 seasons with very little cap cost. As long as Chytil goes the other direction, Gourde at half cap hit doesn’t affect our ability to resign Strome so we are good there. THEN we also look for that rental for this years playoff push with the still extra cap space we have. 

A 2 time cup winner at 3c that could cost 2.5m with a track record of sliding up the lineup and performing or down the lineup and still putting up a good 30 points is a real coup that we would look back on later thankful. Plus as I said, it’s not like he asked to go to Seattle. He was just a product of the numbers. 

This is surely not a crazy idea, Keith. 

I'm basically all for getting that 3C without giving up the farm and pushing Strome out the door.  One of these guys is gonna land here, and I'm anxious to see who we get, but I've certainly seen worse choices than Gourde.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I would imagine Seattle would want a package starting with either Kakko or Lafraniere for Gourde, Giordano and retention.  

Yeah, no. Not even remotely close. They could want that all they want, but no.

Regardless of how they have underperformed, Yanni Gourde and Mark Giordano at his advanced age are not worth a #1 or #2 overall pick. I like both players, don’t get me wrong. But that is a hell fucking no.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I would imagine Seattle would want a package starting with either Kakko or Lafraniere for Gourde, Giordano and retention.  

I’m not really sure about that. Giordano is ufa at the end of the year and Gourde is a nice piece, but he wouldn’t command THAT much. 

• Keeps it 100 1