• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Heavily Pursuing Potential Trade for J.T. Miller

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Unless they win a Cup this year!

Do you really believe that adding a single, or more players to the current roster will make that much of a difference?

Admittedly, I've never paid attention to the outcome of adding a rental player to any team by the trading deadline. The chances are that there had been a number of occasions, where the trade helped the team(s) to win the Cup, but I am not aware of...

7 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's funny how winning a cup excuses bad trades.

For example Gartner for Anderson

I wouldn't call that a bad trade. 

It's not like losing Gartner kept them from being a dynasty. 

Another source said that the Rangers are still taking a run at Canucks forward J.T. Miller, who has been the Rangers’ main focus of trade discussions for a while now. Vancouver’s new front office has a decision to make on whether to keep Miller, who is tied for 10th in the league in scoring with 21 goals and 61 points this season and has a year left on his contract at a $5.25 million cap hit. But the Canucks are still listening on Miller.

As of last week, it was thought the Canucks were insisting on young Rangers defenseman Braden Schneider in return. That’s a non-starter for the Rangers, so they may end up looking elsewhere unless Vancouver takes an interest in Nils Lundkvist as the prospect piece of a potential deal.

https://theathletic.com/3162662/2022/03/04/what-were-hearing-about-the-rangers-version-3-0-j-t-millers-trade-cost-kraken-targets-selling-cap-space-more/

4 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Do you really believe that adding a single, or more players to the current roster will make that much of a difference?

Admittedly, I've never paid attention to the outcome of adding a rental player to any team by the trading deadline. The chances are that there had been a number of occasions, where the trade helped the team(s) to win the Cup, but I am not aware of...

I mean it depends on the player. Adding JT Miller, getting Kakko back on the 3rd line I believe makes a big difference. Bigger of you can snag a low cost 3rd line wing or C.

Kreider Zib Lafreniere

Panarin Strome JTMiller

Lekhonen Goodrow Kakko

Hunt Rooney Reaves 

Frankly I'd start seeing what Barron can really do at 3C. 

If we acquire someone with a QO too high for us for next year, any chance we trade them in the summer to recoup some assets? Risky as we'd be in a tough spot of being unable to re-sign them, but we'd also have a valuable asset and definitely be able to get something in return.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

If we acquire someone with a QO too high for us for next year, any chance we trade them in the summer to recoup some assets? Risky as we'd be in a tough spot of being unable to re-sign them, but we'd also have a valuable asset and definitely be able to get something in return.

The concept, I agree with. The repercussions of this are not good though. The perception by players of our organization is that we're a Veg-O-Matic...dicing and chopping guys up indiscriminately.  Who'd want to play for a team where 'policy' is short-term use and discard? (Maybe that's not what you meant with your post.) I think players want long commitments overall and while you can get away with 1-2 quick roster trades it cannot become our M.O.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I mean it depends on the player. Adding JT Miller, getting Kakko back on the 3rd line I believe makes a big difference. Bigger of you can snag a low cost 3rd line wing or C.

Kreider Zib Lafreniere

Panarin Strome JTMiller

Lekhonen Goodrow Kakko

Hunt Rooney Reaves 

Frankly I'd start seeing what Barron can really do at 3C. 

Thanks...

It would be good to see JTMiller back in Rangers jersey, but the Canucks still could make the playoff. The GM might be crucified, if the trade is made and they don't make the playoff.

But I agree, if JTMiller helps the Rangers to win the Cup this season, it would be well worth of the trade...

9 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

I can totally see teams asking about Schneider but I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Drury moves him. He stabilized the third pair. Kid’s a stud and this team can’t afford a hole on defense. They’ve got other defensemen they can move. 

I love Miller and never wanted him traded in the first place, but I can’t help but wonder what happens to Strome..

Yeah I really like Schneider Jones on that third pair. You have mobility and strength at the same time for a great cost. 

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Don't be shocked when Miller comes here for Strome, Lundkvist and a second......

Doesn't address the depth issue but other moves will address that.

I'd be very shocked if Strome goes back in a deal.  Why would Vancouver do that?  Why would the Rangers move a key piece of their puzzle this year?  Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't something that happens much at the trade deadline.  Off-season, possibly.  

Just now, Kevin said:

I'd be very shocked if Strome goes back in a deal.  Why would Vancouver do that?  Why would the Rangers move a key piece of their puzzle this year?  Robbing Peter to pay Paul isn't something that happens much at the trade deadline.  Off-season, possibly.  

Strome feels completely safe to me through the season. It's possible, maybe even plausible, that he walks in free agency, depending on what they do to bolster their center depth, but any move they make here is going to be to add to the group including him, not substitute.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Strome feels completely safe to me through the season. It's possible, maybe even plausible, that he walks in free agency, depending on what they do to bolster their center depth, but any move they make here is going to be to add to the group including him, not substitute.

Hope so

4 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean this is a trade I make depending on the other pieces. Schneider is a third pairing defenseman on this team, a great young one, but an unnecessary asset. We need a 3c to compete. We have depth on defense. I don't think our stance should be that the kids are untouchable - you have to give to get, and its best to give from your depth which is our d prospects. 

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I mean this is a trade I make depending on the other pieces. Schneider is a third pairing defenseman on this team, a great young one, but an unnecessary asset. We need a 3c to compete. We have depth on defense. I don't think our stance should be that the kids are untouchable - you have to give to get, and its best to give from your depth which is our d prospects. 

Depends if we are building for this year or for 2-3 years down the road.  I understand the defensive talent pipeline is strong but even so, moving Scheider now might look like a GM firing offense in 2-3 years.

On the other hand everybody is untouchable until they are not.

29 minutes ago, Valriera said:

You also need a competent defensive group and quality depth, which Schneider gives you for this season and two more ahead of it. Again, similar to the Strome argument, I'd be doing what I can to minimize redundancy and/or underperforming players on the roster by offering up quality prospects and picks before I'd go offering away cost-controlled, successful young players.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Honestly, I couldn’t disagree more. With some of the contracts we have , Schneider is a 925k + 400k performance bonus cap hit per year until 24/25. That’s an extremely necessary asset.  There just simply will not be a better value for pennies on this roster. I get that makes his value so high for other teams but he is a stud in the making. He’s going to replace Trouba before this is all said and done. He just can’t be dealt in my opinion. Jones has the same cap hit for next year only. Having a 3rd pair for under 2m that isn’t a shit show is huge for us. 

I’d honestly rather give up two 1st round picks to get a Gourde with retention or a hefty price of a 1st, + 2 prospects not on our roster right now for Miller before giving up a Schneider. 

• Applause 1

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Honestly, I couldn’t disagree more. With some of the contracts we have , Schneider is a 925k + 400k performance bonus cap hit per year until 24/25. That’s an extremely necessary asset.  There just simply will not be a better value for pennies on this roster. I get that makes his value so high for other teams but he is a stud in the making. He’s going to replace Trouba before this is all said and done. He just can’t be dealt in my opinion. Jones has the same cap hit for next year only. Having a 3rd pair for under 2m that isn’t a shit show is huge for us. 

I’d honestly rather give up two 1st round picks to get a Gourde with retention or a hefty price of a 1st, + 2 prospects not on our roster right now for Miller before giving up a Schneider. 

Same. Especially because Schneider isn't selling hope anymore. he's selling wins. What's the likelihood you get someone equal or better on your NHL roster from this year or next year's first-round pick, and what are you doing to fill the void with someone that valuable in the interim?

Sorry, but I've got next to zero interest in moving Schneider.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

I wouldn’t trade Schneider in a deal for Miller. Miller is only a rental + 1 (year). Not enough to consider.

BUT I do not agree that Schneider should be untouchable. At one point nobody would have moved Brady Skjei after a strong rookie showing. Or even Michael Del Zotto. As much as I love what Schneider brings to the table, he will also be firmly entrenched as nothing more than a 3rd pairing D for the forseeable future. That’s not a position that has as large of an effect on the success of the team as, say, a high end middle-6 player at a bargain cap hit (say Gourde retained at 50%). Additionally, I’m not sold that Schneider actually ends up being a better long term piece than Lundkvist, or Jones for that matter, even if he has admittedly impressed more than those two to date. I think Jones in particular is extremely calm and steady with the puck. For all of them, it’s a small sample size. Sometimes you need to gamble if the deal is right.

Edited by rmc51