• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Heavily Pursuing Potential Trade for J.T. Miller

17 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I wouldn’t trade Schneider in a deal for Miller. Miller is only a rental + 1 (year). Not enough to consider.

BUT I do not agree that Schneider should be untouchable. At one point nobody would have moved Brady Skjei after a strong rookie showing. Or even Michael Del Zotto. As much as I love what Schneider brings to the table, he will also be firmly entrenched as nothing more than a 3rd pairing D for the forseeable future. That’s not a position that has as large of an effect on the success of the team as, say, a high end middle-6 player at a bargain cap hit (say Gourde retained at 50%). Additionally, I’m not sold that Schneider actually ends up being a better long term piece than Lundkvist, or Jones for that matter, even if he has admittedly impressed more than those two to date. I think Jones in particular is extremely calm and steady with the puck. For all of them, it’s a small sample size. Sometimes you need to gamble if the deal is right.

The thing is, it's best that he's entrench the 3rd pairing. That's perfect for a 20 year old and perfect for his development. A 3rd pairing on an NHL roster isn't the same as being stuck to a 4th line role as a forward is. He's still going to play 15+ minutes a game and will see plenty of matches against top lines on the road. 

Schneider has already impressed me a he'll of a lot more than Skjei did early on. We just over valued Skjei as an organization 

This isn't the same at all to me

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

Schneider to me is the heir apparent to Trouba.  Not only that, but this kid has a lot more talent than Skjei to me.

I hear your point RMC.  I just really have a hard time finding a reason to move a guy like Schneider.  All the tools, all the talent, and seemingly a pretty good Hockey IQ...at the ripe old age of 20.  He should be a Ranger for at least the next 10-12 years and I expect him to be that immovable pillar of defense, the way he's taking to it.

• VINNY! 2

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

I wouldn’t trade Schneider in a deal for Miller. Miller is only a rental + 1 (year). Not enough to consider.

BUT I do not agree that Schneider should be untouchable. At one point nobody would have moved Brady Skjei after a strong rookie showing. Or even Michael Del Zotto. As much as I love what Schneider brings to the table, he will also be firmly entrenched as nothing more than a 3rd pairing D for the forseeable future. That’s not a position that has as large of an effect on the success of the team as, say, a high end middle-6 player at a bargain cap hit (say Gourde retained at 50%). Additionally, I’m not sold that Schneider actually ends up being a better long term piece than Lundkvist, or Jones for that matter, even if he has admittedly impressed more than those two to date. I think Jones in particular is extremely calm and steady with the puck. For all of them, it’s a small sample size. Sometimes you need to gamble if the deal is right.

45c131dd-072f-4048-9879-3fdcb44f9c83_tex

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Schneider to me is the heir apparent to Trouba.  Not only that, but this kid has a lot more talent than Skjei to me.

I hear your point RMC.  I just really have a hard time finding a reason to move a guy like Schneider.  All the tools, all the talent, and seemingly a pretty good Hockey IQ...at the ripe old age of 20.  He should be a Ranger for at least the next 10-12 years and I expect him to be that immovable pillar of defense, the way he's taking to it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Keirik said:

The thing is, it's best that he's entrench the 3rd pairing. That's perfect for a 20 year old and perfect for his development. A 3rd pairing on an NHL roster isn't the same as being stuck to a 4th line role as a forward is. He's still going to play 15+ minutes a game and will see plenty of matches against top lines on the road. 

Schneider has already impressed me a he'll of a lot more than Skjei did early on. We just over valued Skjei as an organization 

This isn't the same at all to me

We have plenty of options for 3rd pairing developmental role. Jones, Lundkvist, Robertson, etc. So I get the point, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Schneider in that role specifically. To a large degree, I'm just stirring the pot of conversation, playing devil's advocate. I think of the popular names we have heard in the rumor mill (Miller, Rakell, etc.), nobody gets the needle moving at all when it comes to Schneider, but it feels like we are taking the easy way out to just say he's untouchable. There may be a name that pops up that moves that needle. I'm reluctant, but open at this stage of the game.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

We have plenty of options for 3rd pairing developmental role. Jones, Lundkvist, Robertson, etc. So I get the point, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Schneider in that role specifically. To a large degree, I'm just stirring the pot of conversation, playing devil's advocate. I think of the popular names we have heard in the rumor mill (Miller, Rakell, etc.), nobody gets the needle moving at all when it comes to Schneider, but it feels like we are taking the easy way out to just say he's untouchable. There may be a name that pops up that moves that needle. I'm reluctant, but open at this stage of the game.

Gallant likes a traditional 3rd pairing - big, strong dudes. Jones and Lundkvist dont show/play this way.

I'm 100x more confident in Schneider moving up to take more minutes due to an injury than anyone else that has played on that bottom pair.

7 minutes ago, josh said:

Schneider understands his role (and limitations) much better than Skjei ever did in NY. K'Andre falls into that trap once in awhile, too.

Was that on Skjei or was that more on the organization for putting him into a top pairing role, which exposed him? He was asked to do more than he was capable of doing. To a lesser degree, they are doing the same with Lindgren, who is also not a top pairing guy. Fox is sort of keeping him afloat up there.

1 minute ago, josh said:

Gallant likes a traditional 3rd pairing - big, strong dudes. Jones and Lundkvist dont show/play this way.

I'm 100x more confident in Schneider moving up to take more minutes due to an injury than anyone else that has played on that bottom pair.

Yeah, me too. Zero disagreements at all. I have loved what Schneider has shown. But if we play the injury depth game, who moves up if Zibanejad gets hurt? I would contend that we are weaker up front, with less depth to cover for injury. If the right name pops up, I might be willing to sacrifice my preferred option on 3rd pairing D for a better long term option in the top 6.

11 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I would agree if his contract wasn’t until 24/25. That lines him up exactly where Troubas nmc changes to a ntc and Lindgren is also up rfa. I think you can say the same about Lundkvist but he hasn’t impressed me nearly as much and is a bit undersized. I just think we have such a unique situation to have a guy nhl ready so young that still is only going to get bigger and better while still being dirt cheap until we have exactly more cap freedom. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, josh said:

Trouba buyout (when Schneider is due his contract) is $4m, 4, 2, 2 instead of $8mx2.

Or you bridge him for 2 season, re-up when Trouba's contract expires

Hard to project out that far without knowing what these players will do by then, but it's hard to see Schneider racking up points, which could keep his number low.

2 minutes ago, josh said:

I was going to say I would like to see Schneider hit a little more, but 29 is a good total for the amount he's played.

And he's only 11th on the team in hits/60. Pfft.

I think he's also better suited to the 3rd pairing than Lundkvist by a mile. Lundkvist needs a solid defensive partner to be successful, and needs PP time as well. He's not going to get any of that on this NHL squad. Schneider is just so solid and steady. He can step up into the play and help on offensive, but he's also steady in his own zone and doesn't shy away from physical contact. I don't think he'll ever command crazy money if we learn from the example of how overpaid Trouba is (valuable to our team, but overpaid). 

• Applause 1

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

They won’t move Schneider in any deal unless it’s for an amazing player with a few years left

Its Lundkvist that will go. And the other obvious pieces like Georgiev, Kravtsov and picks

I think they’re still reluctant to move Chytil too. His name gets kicked around for obvious reasons, but I don’t see them as super willing to move him. 

• Like 1