• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Inside Chris Kreider's Rangers Transformation From Streaky Scorer to Leading Man

Phil

3 hours ago, Pete said:

In last games post presser he literally called himself a backboard for skill guys. 😂

I'm so glad he's realized this. 

Funny how his contract went from a burden to a steal overnight. As far as the number retirement talk goes, I don't think there's any chance unless they win a cup. If they win a cup half the team's numbers will be retired.

1 minute ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Turning away from a hattrick in that last game was a really big deal IMO.  Good for the team on so many levels.

I wonder how much stock the team puts in him going to the ASG as well. You know, Mika had a chance to represent the Rangers and turned it down. Kreider has always attended. That might seem like a minor thing, but the captain of the team is more than just the guy who makes speeches, he has to be the face of the team in the media.

30 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Turning away from a hattrick in that last game was a really big deal IMO.  Good for the team on so many levels.

I have to say, I don't really see the point of that. He wasn't deferring to some 4th line plug or a guy on a goal-less streak.

If he deferred to Hunt, or Chytil or something, yea...that's a big deal. But when your out there with a guy who's got 52 points in 42 games...Go get your hat trick, dude!

I think the sentiment is great but the execution fell flat, for me.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I have to say, I don't really see the point of that. He wasn't deferring to some 4th line plug or a guy on a goal-less streak.

If he deferred to Hunt, or Chytil or something, yea...that's a big deal. But when your out there with a guy who's got 52 points in 42 games...Go get your hat trick, dude!

I just assume he peeled off because he k owes bread probably would never have shot it with Kreider around Kreids just wanted to make sure the final nail went in more than he cared for trying to get the hatty 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think that you may be over thinking it.  They are all selfless, at times to a fault and this is just reinforcing that.

Yeah, I'm not reading too far into that...He was probably like, "Fuck it, I have 2 already.  Let the Bread guy have one!"

It's an empty netter in a game that was about to be on ice....why complicate it with a pass that might get deflected or go astray?  I did like Panarin's reaction though!!!  LOL  He was like, "DUDE!!!  WHAT THE HELL!!!"

comedy central wtf GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

• LOL 1

17 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

I think that you may be over thinking it.  They are all selfless, at times to a fault and this is just reinforcing that.

I mean it wasn't keeping me up at night LOL, I think this fanbase tends to read too much into what leadership really is, and they tend to over-rotate on things like who's the last person or first person giving the high 5, or who amps up the team and the actual importance of all that.

But yea point taken. 🍻

Edited by Pete

59 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I just assume he peeled off because he k owes bread probably would never have shot it with Kreider around Kreids just wanted to make sure the final nail went in more than he cared for trying to get the hatty 

Agree here. The backcheck was strong enough where if Kreider kept on going the pass would of def been broken up

5 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

It was a good gesture for sure. I think a couple of these guys get caught up in that extraneous stuff that doesn’t matter at the team success level. Kreider was showing he just wants to win. Panarin would have tried forcing a low probability pass to him to go for the hatty instead of just icing the game with an easy open net.

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

It was a good gesture for sure. I think a couple of these guys get caught up in that extraneous stuff that doesn’t matter at the team success level. Kreider was showing he just wants to win. Panarin would have tried forcing a low probability pass to him to go for the hatty instead of just icing the game with an easy open net.

In this instance we agree but there is a larger problem with this team being unselfish.  Not with under a minute to go when we already have a 2-goal lead and the game is in the bag.  I mean in the normal run of events when the game is still in the balance.  Too often Mika or Panarin or Kreider or Strome will try for the extra pass and screw it up when they should be taking the damn shot.

Not really sure how to fix that.  GG needs to earn his money there.

K's number retired? You guys smokin' something during the nhL break? I'm enjoying the 'new' Chris as much as anyone but he has NOT demonstrated 'jersey-in-the-rafters' status IMO. Legit Q; IF they were to raise his number, would he show up?

We all know this guy's history of streaking boldly into our hearts (and goalies) then sadly disappearing for several games at a time...this year is different. But it in no way erases all of the years of heartbreak and frustration. Nah, Kreider needs to win a Cup as a NYR and perform at this newfound high level for several years before I buy a ticket to that retirement night.

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

K's number retired? You guys smokin' something during the nhL break? I'm enjoying the 'new' Chris as much as anyone but he has NOT demonstrated 'jersey-in-the-rafters' status IMO. Legit Q; IF they were to raise his number, would he show up?

We all know this guy's history of streaking boldly into our hearts (and goalies) then sadly disappearing for several games at a time...this year is different. But it in no way erases all of the years of heartbreak and frustration. Nah, Kreider needs to win a Cup as a NYR and perform at this newfound high level for several years before I buy a ticket to that retirement night.

It all depends on how the rest of his career arc goes. If he rides this deal out (and we have no real reason to believe he won't) — and especially if he wins a Cup on the way there — they very well might. He's already in Graves territory:

Graves: 507 points in 772 games (0.65 P/GP).
Kreider: 393 points in 620 games (0.63 P/GP).

Kreider also has 210 goals already. Graves ended up with 280 in his Rangers' career. Kreider may get his jersey retired on goals scored, alone.

• VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

It all depends on how the rest of his career arc goes. If he rides this deal out (and we have no real reason to believe he won't) — and especially if he wins a Cup on the way there — they very well might. He's already in Graves territory:

Kreider also has 210 goals already. Graves ended up with 280 in his Rangers' career. Kreider may get his jersey retired on goals scored, alone.

Barring captaincy and a cup, Kreider's retirement would feel a little more like a lifetime achievement award to me. 

Don't really know what the future brings, but a Kreider who scores, say, 200 goals on this contract (he's at 53 right now with 5.5 seasons left) - that's 2nd all time in goals as a Ranger, 3rd all time in games played barring injury, probably close to 700 points? Borderline, but the franchise records and the "what he means to this club" stuff could vault him over the top and make him worthy of the honor. 

He either captains or just generally leads the team to a cup though, and it's about as much of a lock as you're going to get. 

• VINNY! 1

25 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Barring captaincy and a cup, Kreider's retirement would feel a little more like a lifetime achievement award to me. 

Don't really know what the future brings, but a Kreider who scores, say, 200 goals on this contract (he's at 53 right now with 5.5 seasons left) - that's 2nd all time in goals as a Ranger, 3rd all time in games played barring injury, probably close to 700 points? Borderline, but the franchise records and the "what he means to this club" stuff could vault him over the top and make him worthy of the honor. 

He either captains or just generally leads the team to a cup though, and it's about as much of a lock as you're going to get. 

Again, Graves. You can call it  a "lifetime achievement award," but that bar's already been set by the number nine hanging in the rafters in honor of a player who has 70 more goals than Kreider does. Kreider's on pace for 57 this year. That would cut that margin to 46. With five years left to play on this deal. I'm pretty sure he's eclipsing that. Even if he regresses like Graves did back to a 20-goal-scorer for those five seasons, we're still looking at another 100 goals, which would have him finishing his Rangers' career (presumably) just two shy of Ratelle (336) for second all-time in goals.

Fact is, Kreider is probably a reasonable gamble to eclipse Ratelle given how he scores his goals. And this says nothing of a championship yet. If Kreider wins a Cup, forget it — it's a guarantee.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Again, Graves. You can call it  a "lifetime achievement award," but that bar's already been set by the number nine hanging in the rafters in honor of a player who has 70 more goals than Kreider does. Kreider's on pace for 57 this year. That would cut that margin to 46. With five years left to play on this deal. I'm pretty sure he's eclipsing that. Even if he regresses like Graves did back to a 20-goal-scorer for those five seasons, we're still looking at another 100 goals, which would have him finishing his Rangers' career (presumably) just two shy of Ratelle (336) for second all-time in goals.

Fact is, Kreider is probably a reasonable gamble to eclipse Ratelle given how he scores his goals. And this says nothing of a championship yet. If Kreider wins a Cup, forget it — it's a guarantee.

and man, do we ever love guarantees.

• VINNY! 1

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Counselor, you've presented a strong case and I cannot disagree with the numbers. 

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

While I wouldn't expect this level of play from Kreider for the rest of his contract, even if he plays similarly to it, it's still a really good value. Perhaps he's a late bloomer type? He's really not that old.

He's basically Dave Andreychuk. No one is immune from age or injury, but the way he scores his goals, it's entirely reasonable to believe he can be a productive player throughout the life of this deal.

It was shit on since the day it was signed, but his deal is completely reasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

He's basically Dave Andreychuk. No one is immune from age or injury, but the way he scores his goals, it's entirely reasonable to believe he can be a productive player throughout the life of this deal.

It was shit on since the day it was signed, but his deal is completely reasonable.

A good deal of the shit on Kreider's deal was hindsight in that 10 days later the league shut down, revenues froze, and then we won the fuckin draft lottery for Lafreniere. That, and I think half of us were convinced we were going to get a goddamn ransom from Colorado for him.

Regardless, his play style is kind of ageless; there's a really good history of players like him doing quite well into their 30s for exactly the reasons you've cited in earlier posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1