• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Inside Chris Kreider's Rangers Transformation From Streaky Scorer to Leading Man

Phil

On 1/20/2022 at 9:39 AM, Ozzy said:

That contract looks pretty damn decent right now!!!  I remember almost having a seizure when they resigned him....

Sometimes I like being wrong!!!!  LOL

I went back and read some of those posts from that thread the other day. You weren’t alone! 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Interesting question, maybe make a poll about it?

With a cup there's no doubt #20 ends up in the rafters, but without one it's not so easy.

But if he ends up #2 in goals, #1 in PPG's, one of four with >1000 games played and at some point gets named Captain I guess he deserves it.

I think if we win a cup this season and he continues his play and is a big part of leading us there, absolutely. He’s having the same season graves did when it happened. Very much a similar player too. Does graves’ number go without one? No I don’t think so and I don’t think ck does either.

these questions are bound to happen with Hank coming up but I think it’s important to reiterate an important fact: Hank was a hockey god. Not just a good player. A god. Like when people go to the hall of fame he is at the top top 1% of people that go, and he’s the only one of those never to win a cup. He is that good. An icon. Kreider is nowhere close to that, but with the season he’s having and if we win? Sure.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I went back and read some of those posts from that thread the other day. You weren’t alone! 

I wanted him gone so bad, Kev...I admit it.  I couldn't stand his invisibility act, and the funny thing is I think everyone knew he had what we see now, in him.

Glad the Rangers had more belief in him than me!!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lefty9 said:

I'm very happy for Kreider ,I think he got criticized way too much on here ,we expected as if he was a number one pick in the draft ,which he was not

No, we expected him to show up every night, which he is for the first time in his career.

• VINNY! 1

5 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Interesting question, maybe make a poll about it?

With a cup there's no doubt #20 ends up in the rafters, but without one it's not so easy.

But if he ends up #2 in goals, #1 in PPG's, one of four with >1000 games played and at some point gets named Captain I guess he deserves it.

this is a really misleading tweet. He's really not close to any of those. He's barely ahead of Stepan in those categories. https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/new-york-rangers-players-career-nhl-stats.html

2 minutes ago, josh said:

this is a really misleading tweet. He's really not close to any of those. He's barely ahead of Stepan in those categories. https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/new-york-rangers-players-career-nhl-stats.html

The guy is saying that if Krieder finishes his contract as a Ranger, at those averages, that's where he'd end up on the all-time list.

• VINNY! 1

I don't know about a retired number for Kreider.  He's been a good Rangers player, but retired number??

That would put him up there with Gilbert, Mess, and the rest....I'm not feeling him in that category.  Before this season, I think I would probably fall outta my chair if they asked me if Kreider's number should be retired.

I think he's finally come into his own, and I'm really glad the Rangers had the foresight and belief in him.  I didn't, and I admit it.  I almost had a stroke when they re-signed him to his current deal.  He's been absolutely FABULOUS this year, and I'm loving watching him play his game now.

• VINNY! 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I don't know about a retired number for Kreider.  He's been a good Rangers player, but retired number??

That would put him up there with Gilbert, Mess, and the rest....I'm not feeling him in that category.  Before this season, I think I would probably fall outta my chair if they asked me if Kreider's number should be retired.

I think he's finally come into his own, and I'm really glad the Rangers had the foresight and belief in him.  I didn't, and I admit it.  I almost had a stroke when they re-signed him to his current deal.  He's been absolutely FABULOUS this year, and I'm loving watching him play his game now.

If we win two cups ,ill retire the whole teams numbers 

• VINNY! 1

2 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

If we win two cups ,ill retire the whole teams numbers 

Tell me about it, Lefty!! 

I gotta tell you, dude...I'm starting to see this whole thing coming together.  It's really important to see what we do at the deadline, and who we trade for.  I'm seeing massive potential for a pretty decent size window of opportunity here now.

I just hope we push the chips to the middle of the table on Kakko and Laff, and I really pray they come up big.  Those 2 kids, I think are going to determine where we go over the next 10 years.  If they can produce like they're supposed to, we are in for one hell of a ride!!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I gotta tell you, dude...I'm starting to see this whole thing coming together.  It's really important to see what we do at the deadline, and who we trade for.  I'm seeing massive potential for a pretty decent size window of opportunity here now.

I just hope we push the chips to the middle of the table on Kakko and Laff, and I really pray they come up big.  Those 2 kids, I think are going to determine where we go over the next 10 years.  If they can produce like they're supposed to, we are in for one hell of a ride!!!

unfortunately they won’t, they’ll be good players but not what you expect from a 1OA and 2OA

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Hoping with you

I've made this dramatic movie in my head where we struggle a little at seasons end and secure the 6th spot in the playoffs.

GG promotes CK20 to captain and he makes a guarantee to win and then leads the team to the top in the playoffs.

Slow day at work fellas but what an exciting time to be a fan. Multiple candidates for captain and scoring from all over the lineup. Wow....Go Drury and Go GG!! Thank you!

On 1/27/2022 at 9:27 AM, lefty9 said:

I'm very happy for Kreider ,I think he got criticized way too much on here ,we expected as if he was a number one pick in the draft ,which he was not

I think if anything, this season has shown that the criticism was warranted. This is literally the guy we expected when we drafted him (though I think at the time he fancied his shot quite a bit more) and it took 12 years to there, but fuck it if he didn't at least get there for a season here.

As for the number retirement conversation - I think I'd be surprised if that happened, but if it did, I reckon it means that something truly great happened here. The Rangers have been extremely judicious with who gets their numbers retired - perhaps too much so that we even had to go back to make sure we covered guys like Bathgate, Hadfield, Ratelle, and Howell. 

This may well be a bubble year for him in terms of his final goal tally but I do not expect him to revert back to his historical average after this year is over either.

Snipers rely on great passing service from their team mates in order to score (just watch that Ovechkin "Why is he always here for breakfast?" commercial) and between Fox, Panarin, Mika and the rest I do not expect the service to dip significantly any time soon.  At this point I think staying healthy is the only wild card and he has been pretty durable overall.

"How he will get his assists? What then?"

Edited by Kick save and a beauty