• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers are in the 'Chychrun Sweepstakes'

Phil

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree. That's why I'm all over JT Miller with retention. I'd rather sell what it takes to get Miller at 50% and get 2 kicks at the can with him. This year at 2RW, maybe next year he shores up 3C. 

Yup, I like Miller. Especially with retention. I don't know what that costs (probably a lot), but if it's 50% retained then we're talking about being able to afford Strome and taking two kicks at the can, as you said. 

• Keeps it 100 1

I like Chychrun and think he makes our top 4 D as rock solid as any in the league. It all makes too much sense. Young, locked up on a very reasonable contact for several years. 

with that said, I'm hesitant to give up assets/eat up cap room for him. I think we should show some faith in Schneider right now. I also have a hard time putting together a deal that doesn't just seem like our spare parts for their cadillac.  We need the contracts to match

Hard to see a deal that doesn't involve Lindgren going the other way. Which I am not necessarily opposed to, depending on the rest of the deal. 1 for 1 I make that deal but that's not what the Yotes are looking for.

To Dallas:                                 To NYR:

Chytil                                        Pavelski

Georgiev                                  Holtby

Robertson

2nd round pick

To Arizona:                               To NYR:

Miller                                         Chychrun 50% retained

Lundkvist                                  

Krav

Conditional 1st round pick      *1st round pick if NYR make it to the conference finals, otherwise a second round pick

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

To Dallas:                                 To NYR:

Chytil                                        Pavelski

Georgiev                                  Holtby

Robertson

2nd round pick

To Arizona:                               To NYR:

Miller                                         Chychrun 50% retained

Lundkvist                                  

Krav

Conditional 1st round pick      *1st round pick if NYR make it to the conference finals, otherwise a second round pick

Paying out the ass to get Chychrun at 50% is just impractical. I'm interested in him, but that's gutting the entire rebuild in two trades. One of which is exclusively for rentals.

• VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Paying out the ass to get Chychrun at 50% is just impractical. I'm interested in him, but that's gutting the entire rebuild in two trades. One of which is exclusively for rentals.

Gutting the entire rebuild?  The D for the next three years would be:

Lindgren - Fox

Chychrun - Trouba

Jones - Schneider

Trouba is the oldest at 27.  All the rest are 23 and under.  Chytil sucks.  

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Gutting the entire rebuild?  The D for the next three years would be:

Lindgren - Fox

Chychrun - Trouba

Jones - Schneider

Trouba is the oldest at 27.  All the rest are 23 and under.  Chytil sucks.  

Assets. You're selling off four of their former first round picks, a second round pick, and two futures for one player beyond this season. That's awful asset management regardless of how strong the defense becomes. You're leaving yourself without the means to improve the team in later years.

• Like 1

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

Assets. You're selling off four of their former first round picks, a second round pick, and two futures for one player beyond this season. That's awful asset management regardless of how strong the defense becomes. You're leaving yourself without the means to improve the team in later years.

Sure, until you see the names.  Like Lias, Chytil and Krav don't have huge value right now.  You're also brining back a 23 year old first round pick in Chychrun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Sure, until you see the names.  Like Lias, Chytil and Krav don't have huge value right now.  You're also brining back a 23 year old first round pick in Chychrun.

I can’t stand Chytil. I’m not trading him for a one-year rental. That’s just not how you use players with term.

I’d willingly part with any of those players. The names aren’t the issue. The issue I take is throwing them all away in two moves that don’t help the team too much in the long-run. Neither of those moves address RW or 3C needs beyond this season and you’re sacrificing most of the major assets accrued through the rebuild. It doesn’t make sense to me at all.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

24 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I can’t stand Chytil. I’m not trading him for a one-year rental. That’s just not how you use players with term.

I’d willingly part with any of those players. The names aren’t the issue. The issue I take is throwing them all away in two moves that don’t help the team too much in the long-run. Neither of those moves address RW or 3C needs beyond this season and you’re sacrificing most of the major assets accrued through the rebuild. It doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Ok, but how else are you fixing the RW and 3C holes?  I don't have an issue with CK-Zib-Kakko and Panarin-Strome-Blais next year.  I don't see them adding some young 3C with the cap situation going forward.  What I can see is an older guy like Pavelski resigning on the cheap to try and win a cup like Spezza in Toronto and Thornton in Florida. 

Moral of the story, if your fixing the RW depth or 3C hole via trade, you're trading roster players not prospects because you have to offset the cap hits.

Edited by Long live the King
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Screenshot-2022-01-20-103055.png

If the Rangers manage to trade for Pavelski and then sign him for around 25% less than they're going to pay Kakko and at a flat 75% pay cut from his current salary, in spite of the fact that he's somehow still a point a game player?

C'mon man.

19 minutes ago, G1000 said:

If the Rangers manage to trade for Pavelski and then sign him for around 25% less than they're going to pay Kakko and at a flat 75% pay cut from his current salary, in spite of the fact that he's somehow still a point a game player?

C'mon man.

He's gonna be 38 next year.  It all depends how he wants to end his career.  You think anyone is gonna give him term on a deal?  Where's he gonna have a better shot at a cup that can pay him more than $2M a year?

28 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He's gonna be 38 next year.  It all depends how he wants to end his career.  You think anyone is gonna give him term on a deal?  Where's he gonna have a better shot at a cup that can pay him more than $2M a year?

So what? He's a point a game center on an offensively mediocre team. That he's going to be 38 doesn't change the fact that he's going to be highly sought after when he hits the market for his scoring, his defense, his leadership and much more.

He'll get 5M+. He might not get more than 2 years on the deal, but he's getting far, far more than 2m.

33 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

38 points in 36 games and pacing 30+ goals....You're bananas if you think he's taking 2M.

12 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Spezza scored 10 goals and 30 points in 54 games last year.  15 goal 46 point pace.  If money was all that mattered he surely could have gotten more than Greg McKegg money.

Rare exception, though. Most guys don't do this.

Why sign for pennies to play with the Rangers when he can just go to the Panthers for like $4 million?