• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers are in the 'Chychrun Sweepstakes'

Phil

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Corey Perry paced 15 goals and 35 points.  10 points in 22 playoff games.  Signed in Tampa for $1M.

Guys get over 35 they aren't getting term.  It's too risky.  Everyone knows the production can be gone in an instant.  If you haven't won its all about chasing a cup before you can't play anymore.

Right, and Pavelski has that in 30 games. He's pacing like 84 points. These aren't comparable.

27 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Spezza scored 10 goals and 30 points in 54 games last year.  15 goal 46 point pace.  If money was all that mattered he surely could have gotten more than Greg McKegg money.

42 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He's already made over $65 million in his career.  He can have a shot at a cup for $2 million or for an extra $3 million continue to play for shitty teams.

Dude you are grasping here.

Spezza has played in Toronto the last 3 seasons and probably doesn't want to uproot his family for another million somewhere; he is also from the Toronto area so I wouldn't discount that detail either.

The point that everyone is making about Pavelski is that there will be plenty of Cup contenders willing to give him 4+ million on a one or two year deal. Carolina, Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Nashville all fit that criteria.

40 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Spezza scored 10 goals and 30 points in 54 games last year.  15 goal 46 point pace.  If money was all that mattered he surely could have gotten more than Greg McKegg money.

12 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Corey Perry paced 15 goals and 35 points.  10 points in 22 playoff games.  Signed in Tampa for $1M.

Guys get over 35 they aren't getting term.  It's too risky.  Everyone knows the production can be gone in an instant.  If you haven't won its all about chasing a cup before you can't play anymore.

That's not over P/G and a 30 goal pace, and those guys were signed as 4th liners who happened to have great years.

9 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Dude you are grasping here.

Spezza has played in Toronto the last 3 seasons and probably doesn't want to uproot his family for another million somewhere; he is also from the Toronto area so I wouldn't discount that detail either.

The point that everyone is making about Pavelski is that there will be plenty of Cup contenders willing to give him 4+ million on a one or two year deal. Carolina, Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Nashville all fit that criteria.

In order to do that all those teams have to lose a current piece to fit Pavelski @ $4/5M+.

3 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Or it's an anomaly because in his 16 year career he's never finished over a point per game.  He had a recent stretch where he had 13 points in 6 games, featuring a 4 pointer against Chicago and a 5 pointer against Seattle.  If he wants to cash in good for him.

And of course an anomaly at 38 being wildly fucking productive never makes you more valuable than guys like Perry or Spezza... 🤔

9 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I guess it could work.

The problem here is that those guys got like ~30 playoff games between them and Trouba's the only with anything close to playoff experience. I guess we have the same problem right now with Miller tho.

Lindgren - Fox

(Solid "shutdown D") - Trouba

Miller - Schneider

Ideally I would go for something like this and rather use the assets on upgrading 3C/RW.

spacer.png

• VINNY! 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Fake account. Fake news.

Hey boss,

With San Jose being right in the thick of it in the West, I'm thinking the window on Hertl may be closing, or closed soon.  I mean, why would they trade arguably their best player while they're in the midst of contending for a playoff spot. 

Wouldn't they be buyers, rather than sellers?

I suppose the next 6 weeks will tell the tale.

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

Eh.

He'd be cheaper than Chychrun for sure, but he's....not really that good anymore.

Good players cost a premium. Bad players are cheap. Shocking!

I'll stick with the good ones, thanks.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Good players cost a premium. Bad players are cheap. Shocking!

I'll stick with the good ones, thanks.

That, for sure, and Leddy just reads to me like a guy that can plug in okay, but he's not going to meaningfully change this team. He was great in those first few Islander years, but I kinda think he's been coasting on that for a while.

4 hours ago, G1000 said:

That, for sure, and Leddy just reads to me like a guy that can plug in okay, but he's not going to meaningfully change this team. He was great in those first few Islander years, but I kinda think he's been coasting on that for a while.

How do the Isles look without him? He put up 31 points last year.  Not a coasting number. Especially since people are cumming loads over this Chychrun guy and his one good statistical season...

Guy turns it on in the playoffs.  A calming type that's been around and used in a variety of situations. I thought the need was playoff experience? Cup winners.  Well, he's exactly that.

The Rangers don't need to go big on a Dman. They have a butt load of prospects they will need to develop a handful of.  No need to take on a player that has consistently lost as a core member of a shitty team (Chychrun)

This grass isn't greener. It's got dandelions and crab grass entrenched in it.  (Chychrun)

I'd rather use the cap space at forward and for future contracts of atleast 2 of these defensive prospects. 

Unless they take Nemth. Hard no. 

Edited by The Dude

17 hours ago, G1000 said:

Eh.

He'd be cheaper than Chychrun for sure, but he's....not really that good anymore.

Leddy is an upgrade on Nemeth IMO. He has the playoff history, and can still skate, which is big for this team. I don’t think the Rangers need to break the bank as far as trades go for a defenseman; I’d like a veteran upgrade and one who won’t cost the farm. If Detroit falls out, I’d be all about seeing what it might cost. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, The Dude said:

How do the Isles look without him? He put up 31 points last year.  Not a coasting number. Especially since people are cumming loads over this Chychrun guy and his one good statistical season...

Guy turns it on in the playoffs.  A calming type that's been around and used in a variety of situations. I thought the need was playoff experience? Cup winners.  Well, he's exactly that.

The Rangers don't need to go big on a Dman. They have a butt load of prospects they will need to develop a handful of.  No need to take on a player that has consistently lost as a core member of a shitty team (Chychrun)

This grass isn't greener. It's got dandelions and crab grass entrenched in it.  (Chychrun)

I'd rather use the cap space at forward and for future contracts of atleast 2 of these defensive prospects. 

Unless they take Nemth. Hard no. 

The Islanders have nothing to do with the assessment - if that were the case, the Red Wings defense best be airtight. It's far from it.

Leddy's fallen off quite a bit in the past few years. He's no longer a positive possession player and hasn't been for a while. He's no longer a force on the back-end, and he's no longer a guy who you really want out there in all situations. He's steady, and he's undeniably an upgrade on Nemeth. 

Thing is, if you're targeting Chychrun, you're not targeting him to upgrade Nemeth (though I'd wager Nemeth would be in the deal for cap reasons). You're probably doing it for one of two reasons: either to upgrade on Miller and bring up Jones, or to upgrade on Jones and bump Miller down to the third pair. Chychrun's already signed through like 2025, and he's a good player in spite of his atrocious +/- rating - certainly a bargain at the price point.

I generally agree with you that the Rangers don't need a big swing on defense; I said earlier in this thread that Chychrun feels more like a luxury to me than a necessity. At the same time, pending the price, this is a smart longer-term move.

Thinking a bit more this move would make a decent amount of sense. I know we all complain about the third line sucking, which it does, but if you swap nemeth for this guy nobody is scoring on this team ever again with shesty in net. That’s a recipe for winning playoff games. 

I still spend my chips to get the right 3rd liner with retention for the medium term but I don’t think this is as bad of an idea as it seems