• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#41) Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes — Into the Storm

Phil

4 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

In my view, there's no way that the NYR will go .500 in the second half in this season. It's more likely, that they'll end up somewhere between .650-.750. That's should be enough to get into the playoff. The Athletic gives them 97% shot to make the playoff after 40 games, based on the remaining games and strength of the opponents. That's an improvement over the after 20 games 83% and after 30 games 90%..

The chances are that Turk has a good reason for the change, hope that Shesty is a ok.

Curious, when was the last time that the Rangers goalie got a penalty for fighting? That streak could break tonight... 😉🤣

I meant against the Pens, Caps and 'Canes, Crooz...No doubt we'll be in the playoffs.  As a matter of fact I think the Eastern Conference is pretty set as far as the playoffs go.  What we see in there right now, shouldn't change very much.  Maybe just the positioning. 

I'm curious to why Georgie in this one, as well.  I hope someone asks him in the post-game press conference.

HINT HINT...@Uncle Larry....yeah you!!!  Ask him for us, please.

3 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

Gallant did this galaxy brain shit against Washington to start the season and they got thumped. Georgiev has been better for sure, but c'mon...

It's not like it's been Georgie only in that game, that had been thumped, the whole team had been. The Caps had been in their head and it remains to be seen, if that won't be the case in their next game against them.

Let's just wait until after the game to see how GG decision works out...

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Big one tonight, boys!!  No doubt!

No downplaying this one.  I'll bet this date has been circled on the calendar for about a month now.  My prediction is simple;  We're going to play a very tough, hard game against a solid team that like Pete said, is streaking right now.  Carolina is one of the best and this game is a great measuring stick at this point in the year.

I feel a Kakko night is upon us, @Pete.  Tonight is the night we kick this fucker's career into high gear.  No shit!  It's time!  Games like this is where you need guys to "show up".  Kakko can do that!  ...and he's gonna tonight!

Also watch for a great game from Trouba.  This is a game where his hits, and timely standing up at the blueline can make a huge difference.

We're taking this one tonight, guys....I see a 4-2 victory with Goodrow into an empty net!

Please deposit the above into the Hockey Names thread, sir!!  LOL

Ozzie, I am hoping for a kakko sighting

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I meant against the Pens, Caps and 'Canes, Crooz...No doubt we'll be in the playoffs.  As a matter of fact I think the Eastern Conference is pretty set as far as the playoffs go.  What we see in there right now, shouldn't change very much.  Maybe just the positioning. 

I'm curious to why Georgie in this one, as well.  I hope someone asks him in the post-game press conference.

HINT HINT...@Uncle Larry....yeah you!!!  Ask him for us, please.

Yeah, at this point the top four teams in the Met division are playing for home field advantage, that's about it.

It'll be interesting to hear Turk's explanation at the presser after the game. Since they will win, I'm going with your pick 👍, it won't matter that much. 😉

• Cheers 1

I'd prefer Igor of course

but George definitely turned it around when Igor went down

its 1 game for the team but it's a great challenge for George who I don't see going anywhere at this point, not to mention Igor does get damaged here and there

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Go Blue said:

I'd prefer Igor of course

but George definitely turned it around when Igor went down

its 1 game for the team but it's a great challenge for George who I don't see going anywhere at this point, not to mention Igor does get damaged here and there

Maybe Georgie is being showcased for trading purposes? I know, it would make no sense to trade him now, but who knows?

It’s actually the perfect game to start Geo the more I think about it. We know he will be fired up and focused with ADA staring the other direction. Team can rally and bond more. And if he is lights out? He proves to both the coaching staff and NHL teams looking for a goalie that he’s a gamer. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Maybe Georgie is being showcased for trading purposes? I know, it would make no sense to trade him now, but who knows?

Gallant seems to play this strategy where he starts his go-to in the easier game of a back-to-back; this is the second or third time he's done this. I think it's twofold: teams tend to respond with better effort when the backup is in net and Igor getting points out of AZ feels like a guaranteed bump in the standings, whereas playing Igor against Carolina and then Georgiev against AZ might cost you a point.

• VINNY! 1

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

It’s actually the perfect game to start Geo the more I think about it. We know he will be fired up and focused with ADA staring the other direction. Team can rally and bond more. And if he is lights out? He proves to both the coaching staff and NHL teams looking for a goalie that he’s a gamer. 

3 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Gallant seems to play this strategy where he starts his go-to in the easier game of a back-to-back; this is the second or third time he's done this. I think it's twofold: teams tend to respond with better effort when the backup is in net and Igor getting points out of AZ feels like a guaranteed bump in the standings, whereas playing Igor against Carolina and then Georgiev against AZ might cost you a point.

You guys may be on to something, and G's right...Gallant has done this before, a couple times.  We're gonna need both goalies down the stretch, and it may end up being a good strategy after all.  We shall see.  I trust Gallant and he's earned his right to make these calls, in my opinion...

No doubt Georgiev has all the motivation in the world, Keith!  LOL

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Keirik said:

For some reason I can see Geo getting tossed in this one.

• LMFAO 2

I got Eddie Giacomin...Here you go fellas:

December 14, 1974: https://bluelinestation.com/2021/12/14/december-14-new-york-rangers-history-recording-setting-brawl/

What happened on December 14 in the history of the New York Rangers

When it comes to the Rangers and penalties the names that come up are obvious.  Nick Fotiu, Troy Mallette, Tie Domi, Joe Kocur and Kris King.  One name that won’t come up is that of Greg Polis, a left winger who played four seasons for the Rangers in the late 1970s.   But guess who holds the franchise record for the most penalty minutes in one period?  Yup, Greg Polis.

Polis set the franchise record for the most penalty minutes in one period with 32 on this date in 1974 in the third period of a 6-2 road loss to the St. Louis Blues.

The game ended with a wild brawl between the two teams resulting in 180 minutes in penalties for both teams. With 186 PIM, they set a record for one period. They also set the NHL record for most penalty minutes in a game with 256 and penalties with 47.   Watch the whole video below…it’s worth it.

Those league records have since been shattered and the Rangers set their franchise record of 292 minutes in a 1988 game with the Penguins.  But, Polis is still in the record books.

The brawl began with Polis and Blues forward Claude Larose swinging their sticks at each other. It became a pitched battle with referees handing out four game misconducts, eight 10-minutes misconducts along with 10 fighting majors as well as three minor penalties.

Here are the Rangers who didn’t finish the game: Polis, Bert Wilson, Jerry Butler, Brad Park and Eddie Giacomin.  For the Blues it was Larose, Rick Wilson, Floyd Thomson, Bob Gassoff and Ace Bailey.  That doesn’t include Blues defenseman Larry Sacharuk who was tossed from the game in the second period.

Yes, both goalies left their creases and engaged in fisticuffs. Giacomin left the crease and got a third man in penalty and game misconduct.  Blues goalie John Davidson also left the crease when he saw Giacomin had gotten involved.  It was the first time a Rangers goalie had been ejected from a game.

Polis set the franchise record for the most penalty minutes in one period with 32 on this date in 1974 in the third period of a 6-2 road loss to the St. Louis Blues.

The game ended with a wild brawl between the two teams resulting in 180 minutes in penalties for both teams. With 186 PIM, they set a record for one period. They also set the NHL record for most penalty minutes in a game with 256 and penalties with 47.   Watch the whole video below…it’s worth it.

Those league records have since been shattered and the Rangers set their franchise record of 292 minutes in a 1988 game with the Penguins.  But, Polis is still in the record books.

The brawl began with Polis and Blues forward Claude Larose swinging their sticks at each other. It became a pitched battle with referees handing out four game misconducts, eight 10-minutes misconducts along with 10 fighting majors as well as three minor penalties.

Here are the Rangers who didn’t finish the game: Polis, Bert Wilson, Jerry Butler, Brad Park and Eddie Giacomin.  For the Blues it was Larose, Rick Wilson, Floyd Thomson, Bob Gassoff and Ace Bailey.  That doesn’t include Blues defenseman Larry Sacharuk who was tossed from the game in the second period.

Yes, both goalies left their creases and engaged in fisticuffs. Giacomin left the crease and got a third man in penalty and game misconduct.  Blues goalie John Davidson also left the crease when he saw Giacomin had gotten involved.  It was the first time a Rangers goalie had been ejected from a game.

Edited by Ozzy