• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#41) Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes — Into the Storm

Phil

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And listen, they’re not gonna win all of them. Hell, they’ll probably have one or 2 where they come out flat and get smashed like a pancake.

But, they need to show up. These are such good lessons for how life is going to be in a playoff series. Not a lot of space, not a lot of time. Can’t live and die via special teams. Need to go out there, get after it for a full 60 and skate with these teams.

That Caps/Bruins game last night was a tough one.  Both those teams play a hard nosed style.  It felt kinda like watching a playoff game, Richie.  We're gonna have to be firing on all cylinders to beat those type of teams in a 7 game series.

10 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And listen, they’re not gonna win all of them. Hell, they’ll probably have one or 2 where they come out flat and get smashed like a pancake.

But, they need to show up. These are such good lessons for how life is going to be in a playoff series. Not a lot of space, not a lot of time. Can’t live and die via special teams. Need to go out there, get after it for a full 60 and skate with these teams.

Agree, and also pointing out too much is made of wins and loses here. Philly and Toronto were both wins, but Toronto is a win you can hang your hat on and Philly is a win where you burn the tape.

Also would be happy with a loss if you got anything... literally anything from the 3rd line and Kakko. I could live with that because you know that everyone else is gonna show up eventually, but you need depth to do anything.

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

the worst part of this game is it makes me sad that we're paying patrik nemeth to be a more expensive brendan smith 

I think we we're paying Smith $4.5 million for those 3 years, Val.  Funny how Schneider made Nemeth look a lot better in those last 2 games though.  ...says a lot about Schneider!!  😉

Just now, Pete said:

Of course. Because the numbers don't lie. He isn't the only one outside the BSBH bubble saying it. 

Yeah I know. There's no one in here saying they're the best team in the league either.

I think everyone is realistic with their expectations for this team. They'll probably lose a playoff series against Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Capitals, Avs, Vegas and would be 50/50 against Toronto, Pens. But they're not "a stone wrapped in foil". Having the best goalie and D-man in the league will mask a few flaws, but that's the luxury with having elite players. It's not like Vasi and Hedman wasn't a huge part of Tampa's last two cups.

• Cheers 1

They are right.. since the dawn of time, the Stanley Cup has been awarded to the team with the best analytical composition.

wait…. I’m being told it awarded to the team that wins their playoff rounds and defeats their opposition in the finals. 

• LOL 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Of course. Because the numbers don't lie. He isn't the only one outside the BSBH bubble saying it. 

We can say that this team is better than we probably expected them to be and at the same time acknowledge that they haven't won many games that you look at and go "that was a real damn good win against a real damn good team". Part of the reason for that is that they haven't played too many of those real damn good teams yet. Here and there we've had a few - we got worked by both Toronto and Florida back in November and stole some points from those games, but we're not looking at a huge sample size here.

At the same time, we've just beaten Toronto, and as you said - good team, good game, hang your hat. You've got Carolina, Minnesota, and Florida in the next 11 days, all of which should help us better understand if this team has what it takes to hold serve with teams widely perceived as better.

4 minutes ago, G1000 said:

We can say that this team is better than we probably expected them to be and at the same time acknowledge that they haven't won many games that you look at and go "that was a real damn good win against a real damn good team". Part of the reason for that is that they haven't played too many of those real damn good teams yet. Here and there we've had a few - we got worked by both Toronto and Florida back in November and stole some points from those games, but we're not looking at a huge sample size here.

At the same time, we've just beaten Toronto, and as you said - good team, good game, hang your hat. You've got Carolina, Minnesota, and Florida in the next 11 days, all of which should help us better understand if this team has what it takes to hold serve with teams widely perceived as better.

Fortunately for us, these good teams come at us at a time when players are more solidly in their roles and have been playing with their specific linemates for a considerable amount of time.  I'm thinking if we can go .500 against these teams down the stretch, it could give us a pretty decent fighting chance when the big dance is upon us.

I'm sure we'll make some moves at the deadline or thereabouts to solidify a few holes too! 

Edited by Ozzy
  • VINNY! 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

Fortunately for us, these good teams come at us at a time when players are more solidly in their roles and have been playing with their specific linemates for a considerable amount of time.  I'm thinking if we can go .500 against these teams down the stretch, it could give us a pretty decent fighting chance when the big dance is upon us.

For sure. 

I want to win em all - you can't, obviously - but if you don't win, you at least want to say "Okay, we held our own. A bounce here or there and it could have easily been us winning 3-2 instead of them." You don't want the games to look like that Philly game.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

For sure. 

I want to win em all - you can't, obviously - but if you don't win, you at least want to say "Okay, we held our own. A bounce here or there and it could have easily been us winning 3-2 instead of them." You don't want the games to look like that Philly game.

Exactly, G man!  The wins are important, of course.  But it's the compete level that I look for most in these type regular season games.  When the playoffs come, I'm thinking everything should be pretty well set in stone with us.

I think it’s less of protecting him and more of “let’s see really what he’s got” before the trade deadline passes. As much as these are test games, they also are test games to know your own players. I don’t think we have Shesty doubts in terms of opponents. 

• Keeps it 100 1

I like Gallant, but this is a horrendous call. Not only for the team, but also for Shesterkin who NEEDS to get experience in games against teams like this. Just a bad call. Igor is your starting goaltender; he needs to get the call against these tough teams both because he gives you your best chance at winning and because, like I just said, he needs to get experience.

Georgiev, in the past, hasn’t done terribly against stronger opponents. But, it’s not his job to play those teams unless situation dictates it (an injury, a protocol issue, etc). Igor has missed so many chances to play in big spots due to injury in the past, and tonight would have been a big spot for him.

I’m not waving the white flag here by any means; Georgiev may go out and throw up a 0 tonight like he has in the past against tough teams. But this is just another missed opportunity for Shesterkin, who, again, needs experience down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Edited by RichieNextel305

49 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm sure we'll make some moves at the deadline or thereabouts to solidify a few holes too! 

In my view, there's no way that the NYR will go .500 in the second half in this season. It's more likely, that they'll end up somewhere between .650-.750. That's should be enough to get into the playoff. The Athletic gives them 97% shot to make the playoff after 40 games, based on the remaining games and strength of the opponents. That's an improvement over the after 20 games 83% and after 30 games 90%..

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Tony D'Angelo for Trivia!!!!   ...I couldn't resist!!!  LOL

I hate that little prick!!  😃

The chances are that Turk has a good reason for the change, hope that Shesty is a ok.

Curious, when was the last time that the Rangers goalie got a penalty for fighting? That streak could break tonight... 😉🤣