• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#41) Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes — Into the Storm

Phil

9 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Cloutier is a good guess, that could be it.

I don't think Henrik had one since he only has 18 career penalty minutes, most likely just 9 minor penalties.

I pulled the box score. Cloutier got a (really well deserved) misconduct for beating on Tommy Salo. I wonder if there's been one since.

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I pulled the box score. Cloutier got a (really well deserved) misconduct for beating on Tommy Salo. I wonder if there's been one since.

I'm thinking probably not. Most of the Rangers goalies really aren't very hot headed or get involved in that manner. It's not like we've had some Ron Hextalls or Billy Smiths here. lol

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I think it’s less of protecting him and more of “let’s see really what he’s got” before the trade deadline passes. As much as these are test games, they also are test games to know your own players. I don’t think we have Shesty doubts in terms of opponents. 

Nah Turk doesn't strike me as the kinda coach that needs to spot-test players, just listen to some of his pressers man. He seems to be a very instinctive guy and seems to have a pretty good handle on what Georgie has to offer as he's spoken very highly of him after that recent stretch.

I think this is just a case of not wanting to gamble trying to get 4 pts and end up with nothing, and instead get a sure shot 2 pts. The team's going to be fatigued tomorrow and they'll need all the goaltending support they can get. So it makes sense to put Shesty in against Arizona rather than Georgie who's coming in cold and you don't know what performance to expect from him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

38 minutes ago, Keirik said:

It’s actually the perfect game to start Geo the more I think about it. We know he will be fired up and focused with ADA staring the other direction. Team can rally and bond more. And if he is lights out? He proves to both the coaching staff and NHL teams looking for a goalie that he’s a gamer. 

Exactly. I'm glad you came around 😛 Not much to lose really, and everything to gain if he pulls it off. 
Although I think you maybe overthinking the ADA-factor on Georgie's mindset. I don't know, I think he's going to be more preoccupied with dealing with one of the best offensive units in the league rather than to get one over that guido. 

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm thinking probably not. Most of the Rangers goalies really aren't very hot headed or get involved in that manner. It's not like we've had some Ron Hextalls or Billy Smiths here. lol

Hextall is incredible. He has more PIMs than guys you'd think it was impossible.

How a goalie...a GOALIE - has 569 career PIMs....wow

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I got Eddie Giacomin...Here you go fellas:

December 14, 1974: https://bluelinestation.com/2021/12/14/december-14-new-york-rangers-history-recording-setting-brawl/

What happened on December 14 in the history of the New York Rangers

When it comes to the Rangers and penalties the names that come up are obvious.  Nick Fotiu, Troy Mallette, Tie Domi, Joe Kocur and Kris King.  One name that won’t come up is that of Greg Polis, a left winger who played four seasons for the Rangers in the late 1970s.   But guess who holds the franchise record for the most penalty minutes in one period?  Yup, Greg Polis.

Polis set the franchise record for the most penalty minutes in one period with 32 on this date in 1974 in the third period of a 6-2 road loss to the St. Louis Blues.

The game ended with a wild brawl between the two teams resulting in 180 minutes in penalties for both teams. With 186 PIM, they set a record for one period. They also set the NHL record for most penalty minutes in a game with 256 and penalties with 47.   Watch the whole video below…it’s worth it.

Those league records have since been shattered and the Rangers set their franchise record of 292 minutes in a 1988 game with the Penguins.  But, Polis is still in the record books.

The brawl began with Polis and Blues forward Claude Larose swinging their sticks at each other. It became a pitched battle with referees handing out four game misconducts, eight 10-minutes misconducts along with 10 fighting majors as well as three minor penalties.

Here are the Rangers who didn’t finish the game: Polis, Bert Wilson, Jerry Butler, Brad Park and Eddie Giacomin.  For the Blues it was Larose, Rick Wilson, Floyd Thomson, Bob Gassoff and Ace Bailey.  That doesn’t include Blues defenseman Larry Sacharuk who was tossed from the game in the second period.

Yes, both goalies left their creases and engaged in fisticuffs. Giacomin left the crease and got a third man in penalty and game misconduct.  Blues goalie John Davidson also left the crease when he saw Giacomin had gotten involved.  It was the first time a Rangers goalie had been ejected from a game.

Polis set the franchise record for the most penalty minutes in one period with 32 on this date in 1974 in the third period of a 6-2 road loss to the St. Louis Blues.

The game ended with a wild brawl between the two teams resulting in 180 minutes in penalties for both teams. With 186 PIM, they set a record for one period. They also set the NHL record for most penalty minutes in a game with 256 and penalties with 47.   Watch the whole video below…it’s worth it.

Those league records have since been shattered and the Rangers set their franchise record of 292 minutes in a 1988 game with the Penguins.  But, Polis is still in the record books.

The brawl began with Polis and Blues forward Claude Larose swinging their sticks at each other. It became a pitched battle with referees handing out four game misconducts, eight 10-minutes misconducts along with 10 fighting majors as well as three minor penalties.

Here are the Rangers who didn’t finish the game: Polis, Bert Wilson, Jerry Butler, Brad Park and Eddie Giacomin.  For the Blues it was Larose, Rick Wilson, Floyd Thomson, Bob Gassoff and Ace Bailey.  That doesn’t include Blues defenseman Larry Sacharuk who was tossed from the game in the second period.

Yes, both goalies left their creases and engaged in fisticuffs. Giacomin left the crease and got a third man in penalty and game misconduct.  Blues goalie John Davidson also left the crease when he saw Giacomin had gotten involved.  It was the first time a Rangers goalie had been ejected from a game.

Ace Bailey,by then a scout, died when his plane crashed into WTC on 9/11. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Cr00zng said:

Maybe Georgie is being showcased for trading purposes? I know, it would make no sense to trade him now, but who knows?

I don't think you could move him at this point

hes proved adequate

if Igor went down you'd really be up a creek

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I remember Glen Hanlon getting fiesty and swinging his ax with intent

Edited by Go Blue
  • LMFAO 1