• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

Who?!?!

6'0, 200 lb RW.

Owns a projectable 6-0 frame. Has proven he can put up solid numbers at lower levels, plus play a reasonably physical and gritty game from the center position. Needs to get stronger physically to thrive playing his style at the National Hockey League level. Also, his all-round game may be a little lacking for the NHL.

Long Range Potential: Depth scoring forward.

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/19773/Ryan_Carpenter

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

But we're not really looking for a 4C and we cant have Carpenter playing anywhere else than the 4th line.

"Depth scoring forward" is a stretch lol. 4 goals and 9 points in his last 75 games. He was better under Galant for Vegas I guess, but meh.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

But we're not really looking for a 4C and we cant have Carpenter playing anywhere else than the 4th line.

"Depth scoring forward" is a stretch lol. 4 goals and 9 points in his last 75 games. He was better under Galant for Vegas I guess, but meh.

Much better under Gallant. Just like Reaves, who was met with similar "he does nothing" criticism.

4 hours ago, Karan said:

So, who are we expecting to be the prime sellers this season, with some juicy assets ripe for the picking?

For the surprise team, I think Calgary will cash out and move back into a bottom dwelling of shit in the near future. 

But the obvious sellers:

Philly has to tear it down.

Arizona definitely has a few names that need to go.

Anaheim has some expiring contracts that teams will want for a run.

Edmonton is likely to make a push after they fire their coach.

Detroit has some guys they should sell high on as upcoming UFAs. 

Isles should pack it in and get decent returns on cheap UFAs in Parise, Clutterbuck, Chara and Varlamov.

But I guess the Rangers are really the only decent team that can afford the big names.  

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Just need retention and Chytil to go the other way now or commit to trading him this offseason.

I’ve heard the arguments against him and I know he’s an A on Seattle but he didn’t ask to go there and he signed his contract 2 years prior to being exposed to expansion.

Reasons Why He’s a Great Fit

- can play RW or C

- can put up numbers in a top six role but seamlessly works out as a 3c as well

- cup pedigree

- character guy. Dude was an undrafted player that worked his way through the A until Tampa had no choice but to take him seriously and never looked back

- just turned 30 but doesn’t have a lot of miles. Was a rookie at 24 I believe

- plays in all situations 

- is under contract for a few more seasons so if you are giving away assets, I’d rather be getting a guy that helps us on cup runs for multiple years

- we need to realize Alf is not surpassing either Kreider nor Bread anytime soon. If we realize that, then it’s time to see who fits as a 3c on a line to not just help us win but help develop Alf. I believe Gourde 100% does that.

How We Fit Him

His cap hit is 5.166m until 2025. Chytil experiment is toast. We need retention which is fine for both Seattle or if we got a third team involved like Arizona. Seattle would have 30m in cap space. Arizona has 50m. We also need Chytil to go and lose his 2.3m cap hit. If you got a 2m in retention and traded Chytil, you are paying Gourde 3.16m to have him and trading Chytils 2.3m away. That’s a net gain of under 1m increase and having a player infinitely better suited for our team. That doesn’t affect our ability to retain other players.  
  What would a trade look like?

Well that’s the big question. Also Gourde has a ntc until this offseason when it goes to a limited one. This all assumes he doesn’t want to stay in Seattle and waste away until he’s 34/35. If you got a third team involved like Arizona and it’s true that Chychrun is available, then you see if Seattle is interested in a swap of Chychrun for Gourde. Then Arizona retains 2m or max 50% trading Gourde to us for Chytil, Lundkvist, and X (that’s a variable so who knows if they want a prospect or a pick. We have both in spades). 

It definitely can work and if Chytil goes and a little retention, we come away so much better tomorrow than we are today. And the beauty is that it still doesn’t take away from our ability to still add a playoff rental monetarily at least. 

If that's the cost. Absolutely. 

Just leave Schneider, Robertson, Jones and Kravtsov out of it. 

Chytil,  Lundkvist, and a conditional 1st. 

I might have to buy NHL 22.. 

• LOL 1

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Honest question: you trading kakko or lafreniere this year? I’m honestly into kakko if he’s the piece that gets us what we need with retention. No guts in that boy 

Neither.

But Kakko. He'd due a new contract.  Maybe sees an offer sheet this summer 

1 minute ago, Valriera said:

If we’re going to take the picks shouldn’t we be looking to feature him as main piece in the right deal for the third line? We didn’t need more prospects

Can't trade a player who signs an offer sheet.