• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

3 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I'm just underwhelmed by this dude. I don't like the likely price tag of acquisition, and it's not an area of need. Banishing Kravstov to the desert is funny and spiteful, but I'd rather use him to land a forward - where we have gaping holes.

Good player in a bad situation thing. imo. 

I think we all agree we'd rather use assets to fix the forward group, but it's also pretty rare that a defender of Chychrun's caliber on a really favorable contract hits the market, and he'd honestly fix a key issue (the left side of our defense is not very good).

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

Good player in a bad situation thing. imo. 

I think we all agree we'd rather use assets to fix the forward group, but it's also pretty rare that a defender of Chychrun's caliber on a really favorable contract hits the market, and he'd honestly fix a key issue (the left side of our defense is not very good).

🤔

The HNIC crew said the Rangers have inquired on Jake DeBrusk and we reported they’ve talked with the Canadiens about Artturi Lehkonen. Calle Jarnkrok was on our very early list of possible forward additions to the bottom six and it’s believed the Rangers have talked with the Kraken. Everything has been preliminary on the forward front, but that urgency may step up as we get inside of eight weeks to the trade deadline.

https://theathletic.com/3087120/2022/01/23/five-thoughts-on-a-rangers-loss-a-chris-kreider-fueled-win-and-a-trade-rumor/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

Lehkonen and Jarnkrok are exactly the sort of players we need to be adding in the middle-bottom 6. Like it a lot

I doubt they go for both. The fact they're looking at Carpenter, Jarnkrok, Lehkonnen, etc. tells me they're probably adding one of these players — whoever they like and who won't break their arm to acquire.

Drury is notoriously quiet with his intentions and trades/negotiations. Now, in 1 week, we have all of these leaks? And he's so egotistical, he'd cut off negotiations if someone leaked it from the other team.

i call

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, josh said:

Drury is notoriously quiet with his intentions and trades/negotiations. Now, in 1 week, we have all of these leaks? And he's so egotistical, he'd cut off negotiations if someone leaked it from the other team.

i call

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

Leaks may be coming from other teams? 

On 1/21/2022 at 3:20 PM, Keirik said:

Just need retention and Chytil to go the other way now or commit to trading him this offseason.

I’ve heard the arguments against him and I know he’s an A on Seattle but he didn’t ask to go there and he signed his contract 2 years prior to being exposed to expansion.

Reasons Why He’s a Great Fit

- can play RW or C

- can put up numbers in a top six role but seamlessly works out as a 3c as well

- cup pedigree

- character guy. Dude was an undrafted player that worked his way through the A until Tampa had no choice but to take him seriously and never looked back

- just turned 30 but doesn’t have a lot of miles. Was a rookie at 24 I believe

- plays in all situations 

- is under contract for a few more seasons so if you are giving away assets, I’d rather be getting a guy that helps us on cup runs for multiple years

- we need to realize Alf is not surpassing either Kreider nor Bread anytime soon. If we realize that, then it’s time to see who fits as a 3c on a line to not just help us win but help develop Alf. I believe Gourde 100% does that.

How We Fit Him

His cap hit is 5.166m until 2025. Chytil experiment is toast. We need retention which is fine for both Seattle or if we got a third team involved like Arizona. Seattle would have 30m in cap space. Arizona has 50m. We also need Chytil to go and lose his 2.3m cap hit. If you got a 2m in retention and traded Chytil, you are paying Gourde 3.16m to have him and trading Chytils 2.3m away. That’s a net gain of under 1m increase and having a player infinitely better suited for our team. That doesn’t affect our ability to retain other players.  
  What would a trade look like?

Well that’s the big question. Also Gourde has a ntc until this offseason when it goes to a limited one. This all assumes he doesn’t want to stay in Seattle and waste away until he’s 34/35. If you got a third team involved like Arizona and it’s true that Chychrun is available, then you see if Seattle is interested in a swap of Chychrun for Gourde. Then Arizona retains 2m or max 50% trading Gourde to us for Chytil, Lundkvist, and X (that’s a variable so who knows if they want a prospect or a pick. We have both in spades). 

It definitely can work and if Chytil goes and a little retention, we come away so much better tomorrow than we are today. And the beauty is that it still doesn’t take away from our ability to still add a playoff rental monetarily at least. 

And...

• The Chyt! 1

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Gourde is really growing on me!  Dude is a gamer!  I hope this is the guy we go after.

Gudas is a big dude, too.

Kracken went on to win the game following the fight, too

Edited by josh
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, josh said:

Gudas is a big dude, too.

Seriously!!!  Props for Gourde droppin' the mitts with him.  Gudas even gave him a pat on the fanny after the bout...I dig that kind of respect!  That's the kind of character player we can use up the middle on that 3rd line.