• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

2 hours ago, josh said:

Keith wouldn’t even comment on his wife’s sister, who most likely looks similar to his wife 

84218a52-ddf6-4529-9a05-e687bca836b4_tex

In reality they really don’t look too much alike. At my wedding I think I did get caught looking at my sister in laws cleavage though. 

A month to go.. and lots of work to be done.. I don't know the names of the guys coming in but what I really want to see is:

Kreider/Zib/Laf

Bread/Strome/New Guy

New Guy/Goodrow/Kakko

Hunt/ Rooney/Reeves

Lindgren/Fox

Miller/Trouba

New Vet/ Schneider

Rickard Rakell

So if it’s rentals that Drury must seek out, perhaps the best rental right wing is out in Southern California. Rickard Rakell isn’t the 30-plus goal scorer he was five years ago, but he’s on pace for 23 goals this season, which already puts him on the top line at the Garden.

Rakell grew up in Swedish youth hockey riding shotgun to Mika Zibanejad, so there’s a familiarity there. The Ducks have faded after a surprising first half and currently sit just outside the playoff picture.

He also won’t cost a first-rounder and Nils Lundkvist, which may be Drury’s ceiling for a trade offer. Rakell might not even cost a first-rounder at all, depending on the prospect going the other way. If it’s one of the Rangers’ two second-rounders in the upcoming draft plus Matthew Robertson, that might be enough to add a dependable right wing where the Rangers currently have none.

Andrew Copp

Speaking of friends of current Rangers, Jacob Trouba’s NHL BFF Andrew Copp is showing up on plenty of trade boards, including The Athletic’s. The top-nine winger maybe doesn’t have the skill to be a regular top-six forward, but he could smooth out a lot of the third-line rough edges. He’s become a semi-reliable scorer the past few seasons in Winnipeg, too, near a 20-goal pace this season.

He’s a very young pending UFA at 27 and, even though he’s coming off a one-year deal at $3.64 million average annual value, he’s the sort of forward you find room for once you have him. That might make his trade cost a little higher than you’d think for a player who’s never topped 39 points, but Drury and Gerard Gallant have gotten an awful lot out of Barclay Goodrow so far.

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is not a rash actor by any means, and the Jets are trying to get back in the playoff hunt during a disappointing season. This one will not be an easy buy but is worth considering for the Rangers.

Phil Kessel

Call this “Plan K.” Sources indicate that Kessel, still plugging away in Arizona, has been available for weeks for nothing more than a mid-round pick, with the Coyotes willing to eat half of his $6.8 million cap hit. He has 33 points in 50 games, and his status as a less-than-enthusiastic team player is pretty overrated.

If Kessel is still sitting there as the minutes tick down toward the deadline on March 21 and the Rangers are still in need of top-six help on the right side, maybe they make a call. But likely not before then.

https://theathletic.com/3141878/2022/02/22/what-were-hearing-about-the-rangers-version-2-0-trade-targets-are-emerging-but-how-realistic-are-they/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• Thanks 3

Copp for sure.  Winnipeg sits 7 points out of a wildcard spot with 3 other teams still above them.  I'm not sure how long Cheveldayoff needs to wait before realizing that they aren't making the playoffs this year.  I don't see the point in holding him to the deadline for the Jets.  Other similar type of options are probably available.  

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Copp for sure.  Winnipeg sits 7 points out of a wildcard spot with 3 other teams still above them.  I'm not sure how long Cheveldayoff needs to wait before realizing that they aren't making the playoffs this year.  I don't see the point in holding him to the deadline for the Jets.  Other similar type of options are probably available.  

I'm thinking once the deficit hits 12 or 15 points, or if they go into a long losing slide of 5 games or more.  That pretty much closes the book on "Lose-a-peg". 

I don't think he could justify closing the book on this season at only 7 points.  I think if they trade Copp, it'll be at the deadline....probably one of those last second moves too.

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm thinking once the deficit hits 12 or 15 points, or if they go into a long losing slide of 5 games or more.  That pretty much closes the book on "Lose-a-peg". 

I don't think he could justify closing the book on this season at only 7 points.  I think if they trade Copp, it'll be at the deadline....probably one of those last second moves too.

He'll give it two more weeks. The teams ahead of him are the Kings, Stars, and Predators, and neither of those teams has given any reason to believe they're consistently this good. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Kessel for mid round pick WITH retention? Where do I sign? Fuck yeah. 

This is hard to fathom. I would think Kessel has more value than that and I'm quite surprised that the Yotes haven't had a taker at that rate. Makes a good deal of sense for us if that's really the asking price.

Just now, josh said:

Don't need Kessel. Pass first righty that has 4 ES goals in 50 games, and is notoriously bad defensively. 

This is my feel too.  I know the price is minimal but he doesn't seem to help the current set-up of the Rangers.  I want a more well-rounded option as a player, not a well-rounded person.

• Keeps it 100 2

2 minutes ago, josh said:

Don't need Kessel. Pass first righty that has 4 ES goals in 50 games, and is notoriously bad defensively. 

Playoff performer who is typically a shoot first guy. Winner. Cheap.

Get him for peanuts and get more players. Stack the depth chart and who ever isn't a fit, sits. Having Kessel as a potential depth forward at 50% retained is some NHL 22 dream shit. If it's possible, you have to get him.

13 minutes ago, josh said:

I get where you're coming from, but our options at RW from the 2nd line down at this moment are all far, far worse than Phil Kessel. He may not be the best answer, but he's absolutely an answer, doubly so at that price, triply so on the fact that he's a UFA, and certainly so if you're willing to bet that playing with Panarin and Strome is an upgrade over playing with Lawson Crouse and Alex Galchenyuk.