• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

If Jenner happened to be available:

Chytil, Nemeth, Lundkvist, 1st

for

Jenner and Gavrikov (50% retained to help next year).

Really tight squeeze getting Strome/Kakko/Blais re-signed though.

Whatever. Let me dream that Jenner could actually be had and we could have a Goodrow-Jenner pairing on the 3rd line for the next 4 seasons. Don’t even care who gets lined up with them. Blais, Kakko, etc.

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

for

Whatever. Let me dream that Jenner could actually be had and we could have a Goodrow-Jenner pairing on the 3rd line for the next 4 seasons. Don’t even care who gets lined up with them. Blais, Kakko, etc.

That would make the roster very complete. I don't see it happening though. His contract is actually affordable. I thought he made more. 

Edited by The Dude

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

for

I’d love both of those players. Jenner is the perfect third line center and Gavrikov is probably one of the more underrated defensemen in the league. Gavrikov plays consistent top matchups and would provide a legitimate partner for Schneider. You can play every defensive pair against anyone if you acquire him.

The news about us even inquiring on Forsberg confirms to me that Drury is going to go swinging for the fences. Forsberg is the biggest potential name available, and is hardly a fit here given the positions he plays and the positions we need to fill. It may have been just an inquiry, but to me it speaks volumes about what Drury is thinking. We all somewhat assumed this so it’s not a drastic surprise. I just wonder what he actually keys in on and lands. We have the pieces and the space. If Nashville were to actually move Forsberg, it would likely be a straight rental and would be dependent on whether or not he can play a position he hasn’t really played.

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The news about us even inquiring on Forsberg confirms to me that Drury is going to go swinging for the fences. Forsberg is the biggest potential name available, and is hardly a fit here given the positions he plays and the positions we need to fill. It may have been just an inquiry, but to me it speaks volumes about what Drury is thinking. We all somewhat assumed this so it’s not a drastic surprise. I just wonder what he actually keys in on and lands. We have the pieces and the space. If Nashville were to actually move Forsberg, it would likely be a straight rental and would be dependent on whether or not he can play a position he hasn’t really played.

Could just be gauging asking prices for comparison on players that fit the team’s needs more. If Nashville is asking for a 1st, top prospect, and a roster player for Forsberg, is Pavelski worth the same ask? Probably not. Adjust expectations and offers according to the market. If Forsberg hypothetically represents the top, it’s down from there. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Could just be gauging asking prices for comparison on players that fit the team’s needs more. If Nashville is asking for a 1st, top prospect, and a roster player for Forsberg, is Pavelski worth the same ask? Probably not. Adjust expectations and offers according to the market. If Forsberg hypothetically represents the top, it’s down from there. 

Agreed. I do think he's going to try for a significant trade (that 2RW), but calling on everyone is part of the job. It helps you guide the market.

8 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

It may seem like we don't need our 1st and 2nd round draft picks at the moment, but for cap reasons, in the coming years we are going to desperately need decent players on entry level contracts, and you get those through draft picks.

That's a good point. The Rangers will probably need ELC players 3 years from now more than they even need them now. They might prefer to trade prospects on ELCs like Lundkvist, Z. Jones, Robertson, etc., instead of trading their picks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sod16 said:

It may seem like we don't need our 1st and 2nd round draft picks at the moment, but for cap reasons, in the coming years we are going to desperately need decent players on entry level contracts, and you get those through draft picks.

It’s a fair point but we also need those exact same low cost contracts next year as well with a stagnant cap. A pick that probably won’t see nhl ice for 3 years is valuable but we need those same savings right now. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

17 hours ago, Keirik said:

It’s a fair point but we also need those exact same low cost contracts next year as well with a stagnant cap. A pick that probably won’t see nhl ice for 3 years is valuable but we need those same savings right now. 

I'm in this boat. We've got ELCs to burn for the cap-stagnant years right now, especially with key pieces signed rather long term. Othmann, Schneider, Cuylle, and a few others make it so picks in this draft at least aren't quite necessary assets. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

Honest question, and not advocating it myself. Only asking because it was a discussion tonight among friends.

Arizona is basically giving Kessel away. I’ve read they would retain salary and not expect much back (I’ve read as little as a 2nd or 3rd). Given our incredibly low depth, would it really hurt to bring him in? Wouldn’t impede us from making other moves. And given our depth….

Just spitballing. I know he’s older. But in the right environment, he can produce again.

25 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Honest question, and not advocating it myself. Only asking because it was a discussion tonight among friends.

Arizona is basically giving Kessel away. I’ve read they would retain salary and not expect much back (I’ve read as little as a 2nd or 3rd). Given our incredibly low depth, would it really hurt to bring him in? Wouldn’t impede us from making other moves. And given our depth….

Just spitballing. I know he’s older. But in the right environment, he can produce again.

Yes, if all else falls through. There's a reason 31 teams aren't biting. Kessel isn't good anymore. The Yotes are horrible, yes, but he's doing very little to help.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, if all else falls through. There's a reason 31 teams aren't biting. Kessel isn't good anymore. The Yotes are horrible, yes, but he's doing very little to help.

Oh believe me I know. That was the debate. Me? I’m indifferent. That being said, for the rest of the season, is he worse than what we’re running out there? Let’s say you get Kessel, and then in another month a trade opens up to upgrade again, would you rather have Kessel as part of your depth for nothing or Dryden Hunt? I see both sides of the coin.

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Oh believe me I know. That was the debate. Me? I’m indifferent. That being said, for the rest of the season, is he worse than what we’re running out there? Let’s say you get Kessel, and then in another month a trade opens up to upgrade again, would you rather have Kessel as part of your depth for nothing or Dryden Hunt? I see both sides of the coin.

Probably. He's just older Chytil in a lot ways, and his age has mostly taken away what made him exceptional — his shot and his skating.

I'm completely unimpressed by him in every way. The only reason I'd even say yes is just to try it, assuming all other deals fall through.

• VINNY! 1

Winnipeg is interesting.  They already swapped Liane for PLD.  The are up against the cap with not a lot coming off and PLD needs a new deal.  This is where the thinking comes in that they may move Scheifele and rebuild with PLD - Perfetti - Lowery down the middle.

Scheifele and Copp for Strome, Chytil, Lundqvist and picks.  They could then rent Strome to someone else for more picks/prospects.

I think the contract uncertainty is weighing on Strome and Pannarin.  Rip the band-aid off, and let's do that hockey.

20 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Winnipeg is interesting.  They already swapped Liane for PLD.  The are up against the cap with not a lot coming off and PLD needs a new deal.  This is where the thinking comes in that they may move Scheifele and rebuild with PLD - Perfetti - Lowery down the middle.

Scheifele and Copp for Strome, Chytil, Lundqvist and picks.  They could then rent Strome to someone else for more picks/prospects.

I think the contract uncertainty is weighing on Strome and Pannarin.  Rip the band-aid off, and let's do that hockey.

Schiefele is one of the few players who have been mentioned that is a clear upgrade on Strome(at face value, I haven't looked at all the numbers). That said, he needs a new deal and we're not going to be able to afford his raise without another move.

Meanwhile you can just sign Strome for about what Schiefele makes and be happy with with your known quantity....Something many Rangers fans have a tough time with.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

I think the bit of a slump Strome has been in has soured people on him a bit. LLTK raises a good point about the uncertainty maybe weighing down on them a bit 

I do agree with the it aint broke don't fix it mentality though. he'll be a consistent 60 point guy here. But if he thinks he can go to UFA and get $7mil + on the market, than we need to make a move to fill that spot ASAP

I dont move him in a deal that involves a pending UFA though

I don't see Strome signing with another team.

Rangers know he plays well with Panarin and Strome likes it here.

If Drury makes any significant trade it's for a 2nd line RW or a 3rd line center.

Otherwise it's just going to be a minor upgrade on the bottom six and possibly a left d for the the 3rd pair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I don't see Strome signing with another team.

Rangers know he plays well with Panarin and Strome likes it here.

If Drury makes any significant trade it's for a 2nd line RW or a 3rd line center.

Otherwise it's just going to be a minor upgrade on the bottom six and possibly a left d for the the 3rd pair.

If we come in offering $5mil x 4 years and he talks to another team that wants to offer him $6mil x 6 years, You gotta assume he says thanks to the NYR for trading for him and getting him his bag. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Schiefele is one of the few players who have been mentioned that is a clear upgrade on Strome(at face value, I haven't looked at all the numbers). That said, he needs a new deal and we're not going to be able to afford his raise without another move.

Meanwhile you can just sign Strome for about what Schiefele makes and be happy with with your known quantity....Something many Rangers fans have a tough time with.

Sort of. He still has two more years after this season on his deal.

19 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I think the bit of a slump Strome has been in has soured people on him a bit. LLTK raises a good point about the uncertainty maybe weighing down on them a bit 

I do agree with the it aint broke don't fix it mentality though. he'll be a consistent 60 point guy here. But if he thinks he can go to UFA and get $7mil + on the market, than we need to make a move to fill that spot ASAP

I dont move him in a deal that involves a pending UFA though

There’s a lot of debate that the team is actually broken, glued together by goaltending and a PP.