• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

There’s a lot of debate that the team is actually broken, glued together by goaltending and a PP.

I won't say we don't have our issues. And I'm not suggesting we don't trade for anyone. We have a shit ton of cap space and a short window to use it so I agree, we should go for it

I was more referring to Strome as our 2C with Panarin specifically. We can trade for something that looks like an upgrade but we won't know for sure how it works. If you have a 60 point guy as your 2C and you know he works well with Panarin, I don't think we should mess with it.

30 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I don't see Strome signing with another team.

Rangers know he plays well with Panarin and Strome likes it here.

If Drury makes any significant trade it's for a 2nd line RW or a 3rd line center.

Otherwise it's just going to be a minor upgrade on the bottom six and possibly a left d for the the 3rd pair.

I think this is what we we're hoping, at least the Stromer Boner fan club, but if that were really the case they'd have agreed on a team friendly extension by now and put this behind them.

2 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I won't say we don't have our issues. And I'm not suggesting we don't trade for anyone. We have a shit ton of cap space and a short window to use it so I agree, we should go for it

I was more referring to Strome as our 2C with Panarin specifically. We can trade for something that looks like an upgrade but we won't know for sure how it works. If you have a 60 point guy as your 2C and you know he works well with Panarin, I don't think we should mess with it.

But it's starting to not work and, while it worked great in the last 2 regular seasons, I'd say there are more question marks about that duo's ability to preform in the playoffs than a Scheifele/Panarin duo.

10 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I think this is what we we're hoping, at least the Stromer Boner fan club, but if that were really the case they'd have agreed on a team friendly extension by now and put this behind them.

Kreider wasn’t re-signed until deadline day in 2020. The team was on the bubble rather than cemented into a spot though.

19 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Neither side has any pressure to give in a little at this time.  Eventually they both will have to decide what they want to do, but in the end I would bet Strome re-signs here.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Kreider wasn’t re-signed until deadline day in 2020. The team was on the bubble rather than cemented into a spot though.

They also traded captain Callahan because they couldn't agree on an extension.

Last report I know of for Strome is that the two sides aren't close.  Also, I'm not suggesting trading him instead of letting him walk rather simultaneously upgrading the 2C spot and removing the distracted slumping player.

Scheifele, to me, is arguably the most interesting name we've heard yet, specifically because he's not a rental, or even a rental+ (guys with one extra season). He has two years left, so it's not a long-term deal, but he's locked up to a really attractive number that you might even be able to pay the Jets to eat on because it's only two years left to bring him to under $6 million in AAV?

That, and his style of play, size, aggression, etc. are really interesting dynamics that would stand in stark contrast to Strome.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

But it's starting to not work and, while it worked great in the last 2 regular seasons, I'd say there are more question marks about that duo's ability to preform in the playoffs than a Scheifele/Panarin duo.

I do agree that the Panarin/Strome combo is showing chinks in the armor. They are both in that playmaker mold. Passing is both player’s strong suit. It sort of remains to be seen how they would work with a bonafide shooter/goal scorer on the wing, but if we can’t supply them with that then maybe they should be broken up to see how it goes.

It might be heresy to suggest breaking up Kreider/Zibanejad, but I’d be open to changing up the top 6. Zibanejad and Lafreniere both clearly have excellent shots. Maybe pair them with a playmaker in Panarin. Strome might also be well served being a playmaker to a Kreider and Kakko/“RW trade” pairing. This has potential to load the first line up too much, however if Strome is a legit 65 pt guy, he should be able to perform at a 2C pace with those guys. I’d be willing to try it anyway.

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Neither side has any pressure to give in a little at this time.  Eventually they both will have to decide what they want to do, but in the end I would bet Strome re-signs here.

That's where this discussion is coming from.  Strome's recent play is the pressure that's building.  He only has 5 points in 10 games over the last month.  He has to get out of this slump ASAP.

55 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sort of. He still has two more years after this season on his deal.

30 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Yea.  Scheifele has two more years at $6.125.  

Then that makes less sense, it's pennywise pound foolish. Sign Strome now for Schiefele contract, $6x5 and leave it there.

Moving Strome for Schiefele just creates a problem in a season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Panarin's on pace for 86 points and Strome on pace for 56 so it's a reach to say it's "not working" just because they aren't as productive as last year, they still produce enough for their roles.

We also don't have any information at all about Schiefele ability to perform with Panarin, period...So not sure how the last sentence holds any weight.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Then that makes less sense, it's pennywise pound foolish. Sign Strome now for Schiefele contract, $6x5 and leave it there.

Not at all.  While it does create a problem in the summer of 2024 when Scheifele is a UFA, Scheifele is a major upgrade.   Over the last 5 years Scheifele paces 33.4 goals and 83.8 points per 82 games.  Better size than Strome, better defensively than Strome, good history of playoff production.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Panarin's on pace for 86 points and Strome on pace for 56 so it's a reach to say it's "not working" just because they aren't as productive as last year, they still produce enough for their roles.

We also don't have any information at all about Schiefele ability to perform with Panarin, period...So not sure how the last sentence holds any weight.

See previous reply.  Scheifele is a 30 goal scoring, point per game player over the last 6 years.  I don't see him producing less with Panarin.

• Like 2
  • VINNY! 1

49 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I assume Brooks will be writing about Scheifele tomorrow

He already did on Feb. 15th, page 14 in this thread.....Boomer mentioned Scheifele's name on the air that is who the Rangers should target, I posted here if he was available, a few hours later it was in the next Brooks article.  

5 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Not at all.  While it does create a problem in the summer of 2024 when Scheifele is a UFA, Scheifele is a major upgrade.   Over the last 5 years Scheifele paces 33.4 goals and 83.8 points per 82 games.  Better size than Strome, better defensively than Strome, good history of playoff production.  

Kreider and Trouba NMCs downgrade to limited NTCs that summer as well. It’s somewhat plausible that Schneider makes Trouba expendable at that point. Even with Trouba’s resurgence this year, and I would even say he’s earning it in full this season, the contract still sticks out like a sore thumb when it’s 2nd pairing and you’ve got Fox at the top.

It’s also really hard to predict the cap situation that far out. What if Lafreniere explodes rest of year and next? What if Kakko signs a 2 year bridge after this season and explodes in time for 2024 RFA negotiations? Then it might be nice not having the money committed to a Strome or Scheifele. They can figure out what to do at that point and how best to utilize the cap.

25 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Like I said, I would be on board with him as far as the player, but the fact that he's an upgrade to Strome means he's going to cost more. Probably too much more.

21 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

See previous reply.  Scheifele is a 30 goal scoring, point per game player over the last 6 years.  I don't see him producing less with Panarin.

No one saw a lot of things happening with trades and UFAs, but they happen. Did you think we would be having this conversation when the Rangers traded Ryan Spooner?

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Like I said, I would be on board with him as far as the player, but the fact that he's an upgrade to Strome means he's going to cost more. Probably too much more.

Yea, it's totally kicking the long term 2C can down the road...but it's a much nicer can and the road hopefully has a couple cup runs.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

No one saw a lot of things happening with trades and UFAs, but they happen. Did you think we would be having this conversation when the Rangers traded Ryan Spooner?

This has nothing to do with a legit 1C's production tanking because he is now forced to play with Panarin.  And even if that were the case, go Panarin/Zib and CK/Scheifele/Laf.

Edited by Long live the King

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd agree, if they were in any kind of sell-mode, or had any real reason to move pieces out. They won't be, though. They'll be gunning for a Cup in both years, and likely relying heavily on Scheifele to add that extra dynamic the top-six is missing.

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

This part is absolutely true, though. I should note that I'm not actively looking to move Strome out. Signing him is still my primary goal, but if they can't get him to the term and number they're comfortable with, Scheifele feels like exactly the right target this off-season.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Scheifele, to me, is arguably the most interesting name we've heard yet, specifically because he's not a rental, or even a rental+ (guys with one extra season). He has two years left, so it's not a long-term deal, but he's locked up to a really attractive number that you might even be able to pay the Jets to eat on because it's only two years left to bring him to under $6 million in AAV?

That, and his style of play, size, aggression, etc. are really interesting dynamics that would stand in stark contrast to Strome.

Is it worth Schneider plus plus plus?