• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

44 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Two years ago when the Rangers were a bubble play-in team, we said they were two years away. Now two seasons later they sit 2nd/3rd in the Metro, have flirted with 1st in the Metro for stretches of the season, and we are saying they are a year or three away. No. We are legitimate contenders now, even if more than half of the reason for that is Shesterkin.

Speaking of that play-in experience, most of the core here was part of that thrashing by the Canes. You know it's in their memory bank for what's required once the playoffs hit. On top of that, we have a heavier team that plays with balls. We added additional veteran playoff experience to complement the core. We have an experienced coach with plenty of playoff experience at the top. We have plenty of assets to improve scoring and depth. Make the necessary moves to round the team out. The time to start taking punches is now.

I’m not disputing much of that either. No one knows for sure how the playoffs will unfold. History tends to lean toward the way of what I said earlier that teams typically need to have their hearts broken a time or two before finding out what it takes to win it all. That’s my reasoning for why they may need a year. Talent wise? They’re there. They have the top end talent. They have an elite goaltender, a Norris winner defenseman followed up by a solid (but largely young and still learning) defensive core. They have a guy who may score 50 goals up front to pair with two of the better players in the world in Zibanejad and Panarin. They have bangers and size. They do lack some depth. And that could be a killer. But there is no such thing as a perfect team. For all we know, this team, with a tinker or 2, may have the talent and the drive to take it to a parade. But again, it’s all a process. And unfortunately, more times than not, a lot of the time part of that process is getting your hopes shattered a time or 2.

We’ll see how it unfolds. One thing though: this team is gonna be around for awhile. They’re not going anywhere.

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m not disputing much of that either. No one knows for sure how the playoffs will unfold. History tends to lean toward the way of what I said earlier that teams typically need to have their hearts broken a time or two before finding out what it takes to win it all. That’s my reasoning for why they may need a year. Talent wise? They’re there. They have the top end talent. They have an elite goaltender, a Norris winner defenseman followed up by a solid (but largely young and still learning) defensive core. They have a guy who may score 50 goals up front to pair with two of the better players in the world in Zibanejad and Panarin. They have bangers and size. They do lack some depth. And that could be a killer. But there is no such thing as a perfect team. For all we know, this team, with a tinker or 2, may have the talent and the drive to take it to a parade. But again, it’s all a process. And unfortunately, more times than not, a lot of the time part of that process is getting your hopes shattered a time or 2.

We’ll see how it unfolds. One thing though: this team is gonna be around for awhile. They’re not going anywhere.

I totally get that. At the same time, franchises that have been playoff battle tested like Nashville, Vegas, Sharks, Rangers of 2010s, etc., have had their hearts broken and tested to the nth degree, yet they have never won. I would contend that it just appears a team needs to be battle teated because the odds of winning are so low regardless of how good or tested a team is. Maybe it helps the percentages some. 8% instead of 5%? Maybe? Even a team you’re willing to assign as high as a 25% chance of winning is still well more likely to lose. It’s as much luck, bounces/calls going your way, and staying healthy as anything else.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I totally get that. At the same time, franchises that have been playoff battle tested like Nashville, Vegas, Sharks, Rangers of 2010s, etc., have had their hearts broken and tested to the nth degree, yet they have never won. I would contend that it just appears a team needs to be battle teated because the odds of winning are so low regardless of how good or tested a team is. Maybe it helps the percentages some. 8% instead of 5%? Maybe? Even a team you’re willing to assign as high as a 25% chance of winning is still well more likely to lose. It’s as much luck, bounces/calls going your way, and staying healthy as anything else.

Yep, we wound up going down the route of the late 90s/early 00s Ottawa Senators. Always there, good stretch of being big time competitors and just never made it over the hump.

Theres never going to be a proper formula; teams win in a zillion different ways. We’ll see how this all unfolds. I think we’ll all be happy just to see some playoff hockey back around these parts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Two years ago when the Rangers were a bubble play-in team, we said they were two years away. Now two seasons later they sit 2nd/3rd in the Metro, have flirted with 1st in the Metro for stretches of the season, and we are saying they are a year or three away. No. We are legitimate contenders now, even if more than half of the reason for that is Shesterkin.

Speaking of that play-in experience, most of the core here was part of that thrashing by the Canes. You know it's in their memory bank for what's required once the playoffs hit. On top of that, we have a heavier team that plays with balls. We added additional veteran playoff experience to complement the core. We have an experienced coach with plenty of playoff experience at the top. We have plenty of assets to improve scoring and depth. Make the necessary moves to round the team out. The time to start taking punches is now.

I think in the bubble we were saying they were 2-3 years from making the real playoffs. And that turned out to be true. I think now they're 2 years from being in the conversation with the Vegas, Aves, and Tampas. ie. the teams that are actual contenders year after year. 

• Keeps it 100 1

In three years what? The main players are playing their prime hockey. You won’t have that in 3 years. Not Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider. Fox won the Norris, Shesterkin a leader for the vezina.

it’s unrealistic to expect Kreider to be a top goal scorer, Zibanejad a top scoring center, AND Panarin a top 5 scorer?

im not saying you sell the farm. But you can NOT waste this season and next season.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

I don't know why anybody is upset about Carter's comments... A little bit of a correction, he did not say that you have to trade Laf or Kakko to upgrade... All he did was ask Tocchet if he would trade those players and Tocchet didn't answer. Maybe the follow-up question to that would have been "well who are you willing to trade?" We'll never know because they cut to commercial.

Also two things can be true at the same time... Yes it is true you have to go for it this year because you cannot waste prime years of 3 of the only 5 players on the team who are doing anything... But it's also likely true that they are a season or two away from being a serious contender rather than a team that just makes the playoffs. Half the league makes the playoffs. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don't know why anybody is upset about Carter's comments... A little bit of a correction, he did not say that you have to trade Laf or Kakko to upgrade... All he did was ask Tocchet if he would trade those players and Tocchet didn't answer. Maybe the follow-up question to that would have been "well who are you willing to trade?" We'll never know because they cut to commercial.

Also two things can be true at the same time... Yes it is true you have to go for it this year because you cannot waste prime years of 3 of the only 5 players on the team who are doing anything... But it's also likely true that they are a season or two away from being a serious contender rather than a team that just makes the playoffs. Half the league makes the playoffs. 

Agreed. Didn't even see the comments, but these aren't mutually exclusive things. 

Two league sources indicated that the Rangers have shown increased interest of late in Ducks winger Rickard Rakell, a pending UFA who has 15 goals this season and is on pace for his first 20-goal season since 2017-18.

Rakell makes a lot of sense for the Rangers, as outlined in version 2.0: He’s a rental and shouldn’t cost a big premium, although one of the sources said the price should still be a first-round pick at this point. He’s a right wing, which the Rangers need. And he played his youth hockey in Sweden with fellow 2011 first-rounder Mika Zibanejad.

If the Rangers decide that their first-rounder should be spent on a defenseman (highly unlikely, but hey, we have to discuss it), Mark Giordano is on their radar. Seattle needs picks and prospects to add to their rather empty pipeline, and Giordano is likely to be the top trade chip they have, even though he’s the first Kraken captain.

More likely to have been discussed in what’s believed to have been very preliminary talks between the two teams are forwards. Calle Jarnkrok is believed to be on the Rangers’ list, and the interest in a versatile bottom-six forward might be higher with Kevin Rooney now sidelined on a week-to-week basis with an upper-body injury.

https://theathletic.com/3162662/2022/03/04/what-were-hearing-about-the-rangers-version-3-0-j-t-millers-trade-cost-kraken-targets-selling-cap-space-more/

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

And he played his youth hockey in Sweden with fellow 2011 first-rounder Mika Zibanejad.

This shouldn't matter. Lafreniere is Zib's RW. 

It would however be a very Rangers thing to finally see production from Laf and then make a move like this.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This shouldn't matter. Lafreniere is Zib's RW. 

It would however be a very Rangers thing to finally see production from Laf and then make a move like this.

You are assuming they would be playing on the same line.  Might not be the case.

That connection may just help make the transition smoother...it's always nice when you know someone like that as you are moving from one team to another.

Just resetting the lay of the land a bit here:

The East remains damn-near ironclad in its playoff teams. Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Rangers, Caps, Bruins. The next closest team is the Jackets, a full 10 points off the pace. That means your sellers are, in almost no uncertain terms here - the Jackets, Islanders, Flyers, Devils, Red Wings, Senators, Sabres, Canadiens.

The West has somehow gotten murkier. While Colorado, St Louis, and Calgary remain near-locks, there are just seven points separating the Wild and the Canucks, with the Stars, the Predators, the Oilers, the Kings, the Ducks, and the suddenly sputtering Golden Knights all in the mix.  Moneypuck suggests that the Ducks and Canucks are most likely to be fucked.

The true sellers in the west right now are Winnipeg, San Jose, Arizona, Seattle, Chicago. A three game losing streak could end the Ducks or Canucks pretty quickly - gone the wrong way, it could put Dallas or Nashville in a weird spot too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

From that article:

Seattle’s rentals

Kraken assistant GM Jason Botterill was at the Garden on Wednesday, and Seattle has been open for business for a while. “There’s no untouchables there,” a league executive said.

Yanni Gourde. @Keirik @LarryBrooks

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • LMFAO 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Of all the moves we've talked about, getting Gourde for ~$3M AAV is the best thing that could happen. 

Yeah, but hard to see a team retaining money on a contract for 3 more years after this. Barring a significant overpayment in assets. And I don’t mean assets we are all ok with losing anyway.

38 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

From that article:

Yanni Gourde. @Keirik @LarryBrooks

The way things are moving, it really feels like this realm is going to be a primary focus, even more than a 2RW if the org really believes that Kakko is ultimately the answer there.

As an example, which is more prudent — a complicated deal to retain on Gourde to get him in while he's still under contract for three more seasons, or dealing expendable, but not back-breaking futures for someone like Copp? Either way you get that defining third-line center to pair with Goodrow to give you a viable threat from that unit.

I still think you can potentially acquire a RW here, too, to push Hunt down regardless. Preferably one who can swap in/out with Kakko as needed. If Kakko comes back and still does little to move the 5v5 needle, you move up whoever that player is. Not that I'm suggesting him, but if it were a player like Josh Anderson, it's not terribly difficult to do so, because his style of play can lend itself to a full-bore checking unit or a more skilled approach. Less so with someone like, say, Johansson.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

The way things are moving, it really feels like this realm is going to be a primary focus, even more than a 2RW if the org really believes that Kakko is ultimately the answer there.

As an example, which is more prudent — a complicated deal to retain on Gourde to get him in while he's still under contract for three more seasons, or dealing expendable, but not back-breaking futures for someone like Copp? Either way you get that defining third-line center to pair with Goodrow to give you a viable threat from that unit.

Getting Gourde at a cap hit ($3M or less) that still allows you to potentially entertain re-signing Strome or another 2C is the ultimate move. It trumps everything else. Copp, while a good target, won’t be affordable for us after this season.

Here’s a hot take: I’d probably part with Schneider if I had to for Gourde @ 50%. And that’s the kind of gut punch it would take for that kind of retention, for that kind of player.

Seattle is also particularly interesting because they have the second fewest number of players signed in their system in the NHL. I think they're a prime team to "dump" young RFAs on, and the Rangers have a bunch to offer, especially on the blue line.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

I still think you can potentially acquire a RW here, too, to push Hunt down regardless. Preferably one who can swap in/out with Kakko as needed. If Kakko comes back and still does little to move the 5v5 needle, you move up whoever that player is. Not that I'm suggesting him, but if it were a player like Josh Anderson, it's not terribly difficult to do so, because his style of play can lend itself to a full-bore checking unit or a more skilled approach. Less so with someone like, say, Johansson.

NAMES!

• VINNY! 1