• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

4 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Yeah, but hard to see a team retaining money on a contract for 3 more years after this. Barring a significant overpayment in assets. And I don’t mean assets we are all ok with losing anyway.

They have no farm.  They need bodies to fill both an NHL and AHL roster next year. Its a quantity over quality deal.

Chytil, Gauthier, Hajek, Reunanen, Lundkvist, Krav send em all with some picks.  Bring linemates Gourde and Jarnkrok back.

3 hours ago, Long live the King said:

They have no farm.  They need bodies to fill both an NHL and AHL roster next year. Its a quantity over quality deal.

Chytil, Gauthier, Hajek, Reunanen, Lundkvist, Krav send em all with some picks.  Bring linemates Gourde and Jarnkrok back.

this, deal from strength here and solve the need we have. This team is a cup contender this year  with any nhl third line and some serviceable rw 

3 hours ago, Long live the King said:

This in no way makes their team better today or tomorrow, so why make this move? It's a lateral at best. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This in no way makes their team better today or tomorrow, so why make this move? It's a lateral at best. 

I think that’s a bit of a stretch. There is filler in there for sure but picks + Kravtsov and Lundkvist alone are two good prospects plus those picks can be used or drafted for who knows what. 

id probably look at Gourde with retention for Kravtsov, Lundkvist, a 1st and a 2nd that can become a 1st the following year if the Rangers get to the third round.  You’re talking two prospects that already have some NHL experience and two high picks. Seattle has only 16 guys under contract next year. 6 forwards I believe. Hell, throw in Jarnkrok who is UFA this summer and I’ll throw in Chytil too.

Realistically we all like to talk about upgrades but there aren’t exactly many spots to upgrade when it comes to impact spots on offense.  

you aren’t upgrading the offensive spots occupied by Kreider, Ziby, Bread, Laf, and realistically Kakko if you believe in his actual talent and potential. That leaves Stromes spot which we want to try to keep for him and your top 6 really is pretty set for a good 3 years or so. So that leaves you with either perpetual rentals which can sometimes be an overpayment or not make a big impact since they are there for a short time and gone. 

That means we really should only be interested in being creative to get value. I personally think even if it’s Miller, Gourde, Scheifele, whoever there has to be retention involved .If Drury isn’t going to do that then he better suck it up and invite a Kravtsov back the minute his season is over because we certainly aren’t going to have tons of cap to improve much outside of hoping our talented guy can give you production at a cheap price. 

• Like 1

So, any theories on why the Rangers aren't jumping on this market and making a move yet?  

I literally keep expecting every day to hear news of a big trade, but so far, nothing.  Especially with the recent injuries to Rooney, and Kakko before that...you'd think they would want to get some reinforcements in here sooner rather than later.  

I mean, let's face it, whoever they draw in Round 1, it's going to be a battle.  Be it Pittsburgh or Washington or Carolina...

So, given all the Cap Space and given the way this season has gone so far, what's the hold up here?  Sounds like some of the sellers are ready to go, Rangers know, or should know by now, what they need...let's go already.

Are they waiting for specific teams / specific targets who may not be available just yet (and may not be available at all, at least at a reasonable price)?  

There's a few factors on why Drury hasn't pulled the trigger on a trade.

First off is what teams are asking for.  Drury isn't trading Kakko, Lafraniere, Schneider.

Secondly I don't think some of the rumored available players aren't actually getting traded like Pavelski, Hertl, JT Miller.

Lastly since the team keeps winning Drury isn't rushing into anything.

• Keeps it 100 1

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

I think that’s a bit of a stretch. There is filler in there for sure but picks + Kravtsov and Lundkvist alone are two good prospects plus those picks can be used or drafted for who knows what. 

id probably look at Gourde with retention for Kravtsov, Lundkvist, a 1st and a 2nd that can become a 1st the following year if the Rangers get to the third round.  You’re talking two prospects that already have some NHL experience and two high picks. Seattle has only 16 guys under contract next year. 6 forwards I believe. Hell, throw in Jarnkrok who is UFA this summer and I’ll throw in Chytil too.

Realistically we all like to talk about upgrades but there aren’t exactly many spots to upgrade when it comes to impact spots on offense.  

you aren’t upgrading the offensive spots occupied by Kreider, Ziby, Bread, Laf, and realistically Kakko if you believe in his actual talent and potential. That leaves Stromes spot which we want to try to keep for him and your top 6 really is pretty set for a good 3 years or so. So that leaves you with either perpetual rentals which can sometimes be an overpayment or not make a big impact since they are there for a short time and gone. 

That means we really should only be interested in being creative to get value. I personally think even if it’s Miller, Gourde, Scheifele, whoever there has to be retention involved .If Drury isn’t going to do that then he better suck it up and invite a Kravtsov back the minute his season is over because we certainly aren’t going to have tons of cap to improve much outside of hoping our talented guy can give you production at a cheap price. 

Holly.scrap ,that could be 4 first rounders for Gourde 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Holly.scrap ,that could be 4 first rounders for Gourde 

Yeah. It’s a bit high, but if it means you’re getting Gourde for 3m or so for 3 more years and we already have a top 6 riddled with 1st rounders ourselves and other prospects still in the wings like Cuylle and Othmann we have highly rated, we have the ability to make this happen. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah. It’s a bit high, but if it means you’re getting Gourde for 3m or so for 3 more years and we already have a top 6 riddled with 1st rounders ourselves and other prospects still in the wings like Cuylle and Othmann we have highly rated, we have the ability to make this happen. 

Yup, especially if they added pieces like Giordano and Jarnkrok, as has been mentioned.

Just looking at the Seattle roster...

Any interest in Eberle?   

Or a reunion with Blackwell?

Most of the guys talked about are still in playoff hunts. Hertl, anyone on Seattle or Philly, are probably the only  sets of names linked that are realistic today. But that goes for any other team looking too. Philly I still don’t see going to us

Just now, Tomas Sandstrom said:

Yup, especially if they added pieces like Giordano and Jarnkrok, as has been mentioned.

Just looking at the Seattle roster...

Any interest in Eberle?   

Or a reunion with Blackwell?

No to Eberle. Blackwell maybe but as a throw in, not a target. 

10 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

And all we could get for Buchnevich was Blais and a 2nd rounder.

It really sucks that Blais got hurt.  Trade looks a lot worse right now because of it.  

I thought he was playing real well before the injury, and he's got the type of game that could elevate in those tight, playoff type games.  I think that's a pretty big loss for this team, especially when you look at our 3rd and 4th lines...he's 100% an upgrade over some of the players Rangers have been rolling out.

1 minute ago, Tomas Sandstrom said:

It really sucks that Blais got hurt.  Trade looks a lot worse right now because of it.  

I thought he was playing real well before the injury, and he's got the type of game that could elevate in those tight, playoff type games.  I think that's a pretty big loss for this team, especially when you look at our 3rd and 4th lines...he's 100% an upgrade over some of the players Rangers have been rolling out.

It's true. He's really the player they want Hunt to be, but isn't. Blais would be perfect on that 2nd line. His game is more polished and skilled than Hunt but the same motor, compete level, and bite.

• Applause 2

Just now, Pete said:

It's true. He's really the player they want Hunt to be, but isn't. Blais would be perfect on that 2nd line. His game is more polished and skilled than Hunt but the same motor, compete level, and bite.

Plus Blais doesn't get knocked off the puck when the wind blows on him like Hunt does.

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Blais has 39 points in 133 games. 25 point player. 0 goals and 4 points in 14 games here. He’s not a top 6 player. He hasn’t shown promise of such either. He’s a high end 4th liner, decent 3rd liner.

I think the thought is that during the Blues cup year, Blais played in the top 6 occasionally and did fairly well. I do have a feeling that if we went all season with Blais, we might be having similar conversations about him not being a top 6 guy as we do with Hunt but we won’t know for now.  

18 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I think the thought is that during the Blues cup year, Blais played in the top 6 occasionally and did fairly well. I do have a feeling that if we went all season with Blais, we might be having similar conversations about him not being a top 6 guy as we do with Hunt but we won’t know for now.  

I get that, but that’s looking like an exception more than a rule to where he fits in a lineup given the entire body of his career. Dude is gonna be 26 next year and hasn’t done anything to suspect he’s actually a top 6 player.

Meanwhile we keep trying to rotate through bottom 6 players to play with Panarin and Strome, and pass it off as some kind of good strategy.

Blais has dealt with injuries and COVID stoppages in his young career.

He's not even 26 but hasn't played the equivalent of 2 full seasons. Nobody knows what he is, yet.

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Blais has dealt with injuries and COVID. He's 26 and hasn't played the equivalent of 2 full seasons yet. Nobody knows what he is, yet.

I don’t even disagree with that. Still can’t assume he’d look good in the top 6.

Also:

Blais = 25, less than two full seasons = we don’t know what he is.

Gauthier = 24, less than two full seasons = we know what he is.

Chytil = 22, less than 3 full seasons = we know what he is.

• The Chyt! 1

28 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Blais = 25, less than two full seasons = we don’t know what he is.

Gauthier = 24, less than two full seasons = we know what he is.

Chytil = 22, less than 3 full seasons = we know what he is.

Correct. Because we've seen Chytil for 200+ games and Gauthier for all we've needed to see and Blais for 14 games. So, yea.