• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

25 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

If the thought is finding a Gretzky type for the third line to right size any line Chytil is boat anchoring I'm all in. I don't think Rooney has been bad as the 4C. To me it's also  a huge black hole on the second line and nothing from the third are the elephant size turds. Kakko is just meh imo, better than Hunt, sure by far although maybe not points wise by much. Utterly disappointing offensively career to date, yeah no shit right??. At this point let him do his great advanced stats puck possession stuff on the 3rd line.  We'll see but lots of dead weight throughout the forward group I don't think it's just a couple of role players away we can get from the recycle bin.

Would love to be wrong.

The data would suggest you're actually wrong, so perhaps, happy news!

We don't care to enhance the powerplay or PK here. We're already great on special teams.  (2nd pp, 8th pk). So, the problem is 5v5 play.

Our top line of Kreider-Zib-Laf is fine at ES. Same with our Panarin-Strome-Kakko line - both are positive possession and positive chance lines (say whatever about Kakko, but the line flat out works when he's out there with Bread and Butter and that's all that matters at this point in the season). When you get to the third and fourth lines, they're just getting absolutely caved in on possession. The "best" third line that's seen more than like....20 minutes is Gauthier-Chytil-Laf - and that won't return since Kreider-Zib-Laf is caving folks on ES. The rest rely on Sammy Blais or do not have enough time to make heads-or-tails of whether or not they're even good. 

Just make the moves to get a few possession-drivers here. 

• Cheers 2

time will tell but I'm not sure possession drivers = putting the puck in the net. I want them to succeed. All the advanced stats are great I guess but the one I tend to value the most is where they sit even strength scoring. It's the same conversation Pete's been driving all season.

We live and die on the PP and Igor, which has put us in a good spot record wise and getting 5 and even strength last game was great. I'm not sure either is sustainable through the playoffs. 

Again happy if it is. Happy for those that look at our lineup and don't see as many turds as I do.  Happy to be dead wrong here, would have my crow server hot or cold - gladly. 

6 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

time will tell but I'm not sure possession drivers = putting the puck in the net. I want them to succeed. All the advanced stats are great I guess but the one I tend to value the most is where they sit even strength scoring. It's the same conversation Pete's been driving all season.

We live and die on the PP and Igor, which has put us in a good spot record wise and getting 5 and even strength last game was great. I'm not sure either is sustainable through the playoffs. 

Again happy if it is. Happy for those that look at our lineup and don't see as many turds as I do.  Happy to be dead wrong here, would have my crow server hot or cold - gladly. 

Possession doesn't put the puck in the net, but it does increase your odds of scoring, and certainly decreases the opponent's odds of scoring. I'd probably also argue that possession makes you far more likely to draw penalties, even in the playoffs.

Don't get any of this wrong - there are some turds in this lineup. I'm just saying that we're not a, say, Tomas Hertl away as much as we are "a few competent bottom six players" away because the top 6 has been fine.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

Possession doesn't put the puck in the net, but it does increase your odds of scoring, and certainly decreases the opponent's odds of scoring. I'd probably also argue that possession makes you far more likely to draw penalties, even in the playoffs.

Don't get any of this wrong - there are some turds in this lineup. I'm just saying that we're not a, say, Tomas Hertl away as much as we are "a few competent bottom six players" away because the top 6 has been fine.

This is all why I’ve been suggesting getting a person such as a Gourde or comparable guy that is best suited for a third line spot but can also slot up and down if necessary from injury or whatever. Realistically our top 6 once Kakko is back is fairly concrete for now. We need a third line that can do at least some damage from time to time. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm fully expecting Jarnkrok & Giordano being traded to the Rangers by this time next week.

Perhaps we get Kessel for a 3rd rounder too.

Gio and Kessel must know they would be rentals, I doubt they'd take a paycut sweetheart deal to stick around. Gio may have one more 3-5 mil season as a replacement 2nd 3rd pair guy and Kessel might. not want the pressure of large market media when he could take a smooth retirement in wonderful weather and lower expectations.

Won't complain if they're Rangers lifting the cup in the summer of course!

6 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Either that or their management are decent, normal human beings who understand the birth of a child is a special moment that should take precedence over playing a full game for an 18–36 team lol

Relax, just adding a touch of irony.

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

X- Phil Kessel for a mid round pick

XX & XXX- Rackel and Lindholm for Krav, Lundkvist, Nemeth and Gauthier.

All rentals playing for a contract going into the post season. Gives me goose bumps thinking how well that could pan out......

If they are giving up Kravstov and Lundkvist,  I want more than that. I guess you'd have to give more to get someone to take Nemeth,  but that's 2 of your top 4-5 prospects. Or are we realizing Lundkvist is not that good? 

Max Domi, Phil Kessel, Riley Nash and Nick Leddy are reasonable targets that won't cost the Rangers these prospects.  Though, I have no issues trading those prospects, I just want more for them. If they're in a package,  I want Giroux for them.  

6 hours ago, G1000 said:

The data would suggest you're actually wrong, so perhaps, happy news!

We don't care to enhance the powerplay or PK here. We're already great on special teams.  (2nd pp, 8th pk). So, the problem is 5v5 play.

Our top line of Kreider-Zib-Laf is fine at ES. Same with our Panarin-Strome-Kakko line - both are positive possession and positive chance lines (say whatever about Kakko, but the line flat out works when he's out there with Bread and Butter and that's all that matters at this point in the season). When you get to the third and fourth lines, they're just getting absolutely caved in on possession. The "best" third line that's seen more than like....20 minutes is Gauthier-Chytil-Laf - and that won't return since Kreider-Zib-Laf is caving folks on ES. The rest rely on Sammy Blais or do not have enough time to make heads-or-tails of whether or not they're even good. 

Just make the moves to get a few possession-drivers here. 

Wasn't Kakko moved off the Panarin line and moved up to the Zib line before getting hurt, in an efforttogethim going? I don't recall Kakko really clicking on the Panarin line. It alway irks me thinking back to last season, when Panarin was said to not want Kakko on his line. 

I disagree. They need an upgrade on the RW. Either a shooter or a grinder that can contribute.  Like Blais.. Only healthy.  

14 hours ago, Pete said:

I should have stopped reading after the author led with "Rangers General Manager Chris Drury has been patiently waiting for a track to explode on..."

Very poorly writen and edited piece that I'd take with a grain of salt. Not saying it won't happen, this guy is just repeating rumors and sprinkling in his own flavor, I'm just not convinced he has " sources". 

That’s the only part I liked!

love that song 

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, josh said:

Soft player that never plays a full 60 and a defensive detriment… as a playoff add for this team? 

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Im assuming youre talking about Kessel.

Yeah. Who needs a playoff performer who can be almost a PPG guy, when you have Dryden Hunt? Let's improve that PK... 

The cost is just a must do. Like I said.  If he doesn't fit. He's your 13th forward. If he does fit. Hello even strength production.  He,  or any of the other names I mentioned are inexpensive upgrades on what they currently have. 

If cost isn't an issue, sure. There's better.  I just think Drury isn't looking big. Nor can he really afford to. I go for quantity right now. More depth. More options. Different looks. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, josh said:

The 5 on 5 issue is they don’t work. No effort and ”weak defensively” according to fancy shats. 

Eye test shows they don't shoot enough or have possession guys who are able to contribute to the scoresheet. Nor do they have a gritty forward that can legit slide up the lineup. 

Get a bunch of different types. See what works. Use different guys for different match ups come playoff time.

Not only do they have the cap space, but the ability to have the roster space if they demote the trash and unused players to Hartford/waivers/smaller trades.  Mckegg, Chytil, Nemeth, Hunt, Hajek, Gauthier can all be replaced with an array of different players. They have spots that they could be using on better players.  Obviously they aren't flipping the entire bottom 6, but 2-3 -4 of those names shouldn't be here. 

If they can't go big, get depth. It won't cost them anything they'll miss and almost anything is an improvement on what they currently have. 

Edited by The Dude

21 minutes ago, josh said:

Gauthier-Chytil-Kessel

that should get them the cup!

kessel has 6 ES points in his last, what, 25/30 playoff games. 

?? 

Panarin- Strome-Kessel  

We are replacing Hunt. I don't get how you're still holding on to the notion that he brings anything to that line.

What ever RW that is brought in,  is to be placed with Strome and Panarin. Who knows maybe even Zib and Kreider too. 

Imagine Panarin threading the needle to a guy who can seriously shoot, on that right side. Tip ins, rebounds and so on. When Kessel is on, he's always in a good position to shoot. A guy like that creates a little more room. He'd draw defenders if they click. If they don't. Try him with Zib. If that doesn't work. Oh well. Extra forward. 

Just curious.  Is that 6 ES points bad? What's a guy like Giroux have? 

Edited by The Dude

Not for nothing.. He's ranked pretty decent among active players for ESP  in the playoffs... Ahead of Giroux, Killorn,  Kopitar,  Forsberg, Kuznetsov....

Eye mutha fuckin test DAT.  LOL

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-active-players-all-time-playoff-even-strength-points-leaders.html

spacer.png

I'm pretty shocked myself. Some names on here have me scratching my head. 

Sorry for the 5 edits 

Edited by The Dude

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not for nothing.. He's ranked pretty decent among active players for ESP in the playoffs... Ahead of Giroux, Killorn,  Kopitar,  Forsberg, Kuznetsov....

Eye mutha fuckin test DAT. LOL

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-playoff-even-strength-goals-per-60-leaders.htmlspacer.png

I'm pretty shocked myself. Some names on here have me scratching my head. 

That’s a long time ago. Recently, he produces at the same level as Ryan Carpenter and Oscar Lindberg at even strength 

4 hours ago, josh said:

That’s a long time ago. Recently, he produces at the same level as Ryan Carpenter and Oscar Lindberg at even strength 

Having a hard time finding playoff game logs that show ESP. Where are you finding that? Last game I see him in Pitt was against the Rangers in April of 19. ESG..  I dont feel like looking and scrolling over. 

Going to bed. 

Edited by The Dude