• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

5 minutes ago, josh said:

Schneider plus plus is the cost for top line player with years left. 

Schneider is probably a better piece than anything Buffalo got for Eichel, and he’s signed for 5 years. Do you think Scheifele signed for 2 more has an Eichel price tag attached to him?

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Schneider is probably a better piece than anything Buffalo got for Eichel, and he’s signed for 5 years. Do you think Scheifele signed for 2 more has an Eichel price tag attached to him?

To be fair, Eichel is a difficult example to use as a baseline because he also required neck surgery.

25 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Wonder how much it would take to get Patrik  Laine  ,he has been on a tear

Interview came out today that Jarmo is pretty pissed at the "trade rumors" surrounding Laine and they're working on a long term extension. He's also publicly stated how much he actually likes being in Columbus, I believe.

Where Patrik Laine fits in long-term remains to be seen. The star winger is an RFA this summer and obviously, the Blue Jackets hope to sign him to a long-term deal. If that’s not doable, then some decisions might have to be made there. But that can wait until then. It’s pretty clear that the Blue Jackets GM is none too pleased that trade rumors have surfaced regarding Laine ahead of March 21 because it sounds as though Kekalainen hasn’t brought up his name once to any of his GM colleagues, as far as I can tell.

“Yeah it bothers me because people make up shit, that’s what bothers me,’’ Kekalainen said. “I understand that sometimes from conversations you have (with teams) some of it may leak out, and a name gets in there, but this is not a case like that. This is just somebody making shit up from their own speculation of what we might do. They make it up and hope for the headlines and hope for the clicks. I think that’s unethical. And I don’t have any time for it.’’

Edited by Cash or Czech

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Chytil for Debrusk straight up. (Debrusk for 3/3 year extension)

Thoughts?

I think DeBrusk would never do it. He's got a $4.4 million QO. His actual salary this year is $4.85 million. He's getting $5+ million on his next deal.

I've no idea why Boston would want to do this, either. They can actually get decent futures for DeBrusk, not a scrub selling hope like Chytil.

37 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think DeBrusk would never do it. He's got a $4.4 million QO. His actual salary this year is $4.85 million. He's getting $5+ million on his next deal.

I've no idea why Boston would want to do this, either. They can actually get decent futures for DeBrusk, not a scrub selling hope like Chytil.

It was mentioned that Debrusk may take less than the QO to get outta Boston.

I'm just trying to get rid of Chytil for a useful piece. Maybe 4milx3?

Chytil and......Kravtsov(tough sell on him right now) but i guess I'm gauging if this would be of interest to anyone?

I wonder what players like Chytil and Howden could be if the organization had been a bit patient with them and let Howden play in the AHL or let Chytil spend more time in the Czech league and come over when he was ready. Feel like we just rush these young players in and they don't get better and it hurts their development.

9 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I wonder what players like Chytil and Howden could be if the organization had been a bit patient with them and let Howden play in the AHL or let Chytil spend more time in the Czech league and come over when he was ready. Feel like we just rush these young players in and they don't get better and it hurts their development.

Unfortunately, as John tortotella wisely, always said, you can always tame a tiger but you can never paint stripes on a kitty cat.

pretty sure we know what chytil is

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Unfortunately, as John tortotella wisely, always said, you can always tame a tiger but you can never paint stripes on a kitty cat.

pretty sure we know what chytil is

Dean Lombardi*

We were giving Anson Carter crap last night for his NYR comments, BUT, is his comment about us being 'a year or so' away from being a real Cup contender wrong? Like the rest of you comrades in Blue, I don't want to wait another year or two for a Stanley Cup...but is it just wishful thinking? Adding 1, 2 or even 3 pieces; Does that push us to a Cup win?

Yeah, we can capture magic in a bottle, any team can. My concern is that even if we add some scoring punch, we still have a defense that doesn't appear to be able to lock our d-zone down for stretches of a period and that makes us look vulnerable. Period 1 last night was a bit tilted in the St. Louis favor for a while and the ending of period 2 had many of us opening windows looking at the ledge.

Taking off my blue-tint glasses for a minute or two, a clear-eyed vision sees that Anson's comments may not be too far off. Still, fuck him.

• Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

We were giving Anson Carter crap last night for his NYR comments, BUT, is his comment about us being 'a year or so' away from being a real Cup contender wrong? Like the rest of you comrades in Blue, I don't want to wait another year or two for a Stanley Cup...but is it just wishful thinking? Adding 1, 2 or even 3 pieces; Does that push us to a Cup win?

Yeah, we can capture magic in a bottle, any team can. My concern is that even if we add some scoring punch, we still have a defense that doesn't appear to be able to lock our d-zone down for stretches of a period and that makes us look vulnerable. Period 1 last night was a bit tilted in the St. Louis favor for a while and the ending of period 2 had many of us opening windows looking at the ledge.

Taking off my blue-tint glasses for a minute or two, a clear-eyed vision sees that Anson's comments may not be too far off. Still, fuck him.

I don’t think his comments were wrong. I, myself, am looking at this season with guided optimism. We have more top end talent than we have in recent memory, but behind that, we do have some dents in the armor that need fixing.

What turned me off about Carter last night was him: A.) Being a smug smart ass in the 2nd intermission after that brain fart at the end of the 2nd after he made his comments about us being a year away, and B.) The way he went about us making upgrades.

He essentially insinuated that any trade for an upgrade would cost a Lafreniere or a Kakko, which is such nonsense. I’m not disputing that a top-tier upgrade may get pricy as far as young players and prospects go, but the Rangers do have a prospect pool from which to dip their toes into if need be. And to acquire some pieces they may need as far as depth go wouldn’t necessarily cost all or most of those pieces. A top tier rental? Sure. But some depth for the 3rd line? I doubt it.

Thats all it was for me. I don’t disagree with the premise that we are a year away; I actually tend to lean that way myself. I do realize anything is possible if Shesterkin winds up standing on his head. But, I do believe you need to learn to walk before you run and that this years playoffs will be a good learning experience for this group. That’s basically what Carter said. What I didn’t like was his cockiness and smugness once the Blues came back after the 2nd as if to say “told you so.” Just was a little childish IMO.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

I mean, the Rangers ARE likely a few years away for being true beasts of the east, but they're punching WAY above where I thought they would this season. Unlike last time we made a run, the goal should be to sustain year after year, not just go all in and burn down the farm for one or two good runs. Should they go out and get a 3rd liner? Yes. Does that require trading Kakko or Lafreniere? Of course not. The nationally televised games are fun but I'd take anything the pundits say with a grain of salt. They're not watching the Rangers regularly. They don't know who's in the system. 

Realistically, the Rangers could go into the playoffs without doing anything at the deadline and I'd be okay with that. No matter who they pick up, a 1st round exit is likely (based on lack of experience). But the experience gained this year will be invaluable for future success. 

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I mean, the Rangers ARE likely a few years away for being true beasts of the east, but they're punching WAY above where I thought they would this season. Unlike last time we made a run, the goal should be to sustain year after year, not just go all in and burn down the farm for one or two good runs. Should they go out and get a 3rd liner? Yes. Does that require trading Kakko or Lafreniere? Of course not. The nationally televised games are fun but I'd take anything the pundits say with a grain of salt. They're not watching the Rangers regularly. They don't know who's in the system. 

Realistically, the Rangers could go into the playoffs without doing anything at the deadline and I'd be okay with that. No matter who they pick up, a 1st round exit is likely (based on lack of experience). But the experience gained this year will be invaluable for future success. 

Ya know what.....you are right. If we allow this group to grow with Kakko, Laf, Gauthier and Blais next year then maybe we are making slower progress but also not selling for a short term run. I like the idea. Upgrade line 3 and we are improving at a slower but steadier rate. *Tip my hat*

Two years ago when the Rangers were a bubble play-in team, we said they were two years away. Now two seasons later they sit 2nd/3rd in the Metro, have flirted with 1st in the Metro for stretches of the season, and we are saying they are a year or three away. No. We are legitimate contenders now, even if more than half of the reason for that is Shesterkin.

Speaking of that play-in experience, most of the core here was part of that thrashing by the Canes. You know it's in their memory bank for what's required once the playoffs hit. On top of that, we have a heavier team that plays with balls. We added additional veteran playoff experience to complement the core. We have an experienced coach with plenty of playoff experience at the top. We have plenty of assets to improve scoring and depth. Make the necessary moves to round the team out. The time to start taking punches is now.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Ya know what.....you are right. If we allow this group to grow with Kakko, Laf, Gauthier and Blais next year then maybe we are making slower progress but also not selling for a short term run. I like the idea. Upgrade line 3 and we are improving at a slower but steadier rate. *Tip my hat*

There is no way he’s in the same conversation as the others. Honestly I think he’s a goner in the off season.