• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

Are we really doing this again? Julien Gauthier is not a good fit for this team. He's had a golden opportunity with Kravtsov deported, Blais hurt, and Kakko hurt to prove that he can do the top 6 thing, and he's played so poorly that he's been replaced by Johnny Brodzinski and Dryden Hunt. He can't do the bottom six thing - that's evident enough.

I'd say we're beating a dead horse at this point, but this horse doesn't even have flesh to beat anymore. We're exhuming empty graves.

58 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah it's sickening isn't it (me being "devout").  I think with an opportunity, this guy can be productive in the NHL. He'll put it together somewhere else. Mike Knuble part 2. 

I think you’re right regarding Gauthier eventually becoming something. I’ve been a proponent of his last year (begging Quinn to give him a fair shake) and most of this year. There’s some descriptions of his play (invisible, soft, etc) that I think are wildly inaccurate. But I also think Gallant has given him more chances slotted up the lineup and I don’t think Goat took advantage. He has a gifted size/speed combination, but he just can’t finish worth a damn. Kreider used to have all kinds of issues finishing his breakaway and “drive to the net” chances as well. It took him years to start finishing better. So there’s hope for Goat, but we can’t be waiting for it right now. I see little to no chance of cracking the lineup rest of season after the moves that were made.

Not sure what they will do with him in the offseason, but I’m like 95% sure he won’t be here. Blais/Motte/Goodrow/Reaves leaves no room at the inn for bottom 6 wings next season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

In consistent Kreider struggling to finish was still a 20 goal scorer.  Gauthier has 5 goals in 93 games.

Well, yeah. That’s why Kreider stuck with the team and Gauthier can’t cement a spot. Learning to finish better is why Kreids went from 20 goals to 30 goals. And now to 40-50 goals this year.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Well, yeah. That’s why Kreider stuck with the team and Gauthier can’t cement a spot. Learning to finish better is why Kreids went from 20 goals to 30 goals. And now to 40-50 goals this year.

Kreider was always an NHL player.  Learning to finish better made him a first line player instead of a middle 6 guy.  Gauthier isn't an NHL player.  He doesn't have the game to find his scoring in the bottom 6 and work his way up.  

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

So that career trajectory puts Goat at 11 goals a year. I think we can pass.

Mercogliano was interviewed on the latest episode of Blueshirts Breakaway and effectively said he sees Gauthier as the "16th forward" when the team is healthy. In effect, he's done here. If someone wants to cry over the perception of spilled milk on this, have at it, but this one's cut and dry.

I'd go so far as to say Gauthier, Hajek, and Georgiev are all dead men walking.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Mercogliano was interviewed on the latest episode of Blueshirts Breakaway and effectively said he sees Gauthier as the "16th forward" when the team is healthy. In effect, he's done here. If someone wants to cry over the perception of spilled milk on this, have at it, but this one's cut and dry.

You missed McKegg. I hope 😆

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

So that career trajectory puts Goat at 11 goals a year. I think we can pass.

He’d have 11 goals right now and get more ice time as a result if he finished even just a third of his chances. But he hasn’t so he doesn’t. C’est la vie. Gauthier didn’t even cross my mind when filling out my “all healthy” lineup. If I’m like Arizona though? Yeah, I’m interested in him to see if he appreciates in value at a bargain price. Buy low. Really low.

• VINNY! 1

12 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

He’d have 11 goals right now and get more ice time as a result if he finished even just a third of his chances. But he hasn’t so he doesn’t. C’est la vie. Gauthier didn’t even cross my mind when filling out my “all healthy” lineup. If I’m like Arizona though? Yeah, I’m interested in him to see if he appreciates in value at a bargain price. Buy low. Really low.

I'm a little surprised the Rangers didn't dump a couple of their 23/24-year old RFAs on Arizona or Seattle — both of whom are well under the 50 contract limit. I guess there's still time, but Reunanen, Gauthier, Hajek, Richards, etc. aren't long for the org.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm a little surprised the Rangers didn't dump a couple of their 23/24-year old RFAs on Arizona or Seattle — both of whom are well under the 50 contract limit. I guess there's still time, but Reunanen, Gauthier, Hajek, Richards, etc. aren't long for the org.

I thought Hajek in particular was toast. I don’t know how he hasn’t been traded in some capacity. Nobody wants to give this kid a better look at all? For a 5th-7th? If not, he’s worthless. Waive him to either get claimed or go back to Hartford to play.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Drury was probably too busy working on all the other deals to get rid of RFAs not long for the organization.

I'm sure he'll look to replenish some mid round picks by getting rid of some of them at the draft.

6 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I thought Hajek in particular was toast. I don’t know how he hasn’t been traded in some capacity. Nobody wants to give this kid a better look at all? For a 5th-7th? If not, he’s worthless. Waive him to either get claimed or go back to Hartford to play.

I guess, yeah. It's confounding what they're doing with him, in particular. He's getting paid to practice and watch games from the press box every night. A literal traffic cone for drills is a million times cheaper (and probably more effective).

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Drury was probably too busy working on all the other deals to get rid of RFAs not long for the organization.

I'm sure he'll look to replenish some mid round picks by getting rid of some of them at the draft.

Right. Still plenty of time. Their rights are still held. Plus, with what he's traded out, Drury can probably recoup some later round picks for 2022 (missing 2nd, 3rd, own 4th, 7th) or 2023 (missing 3rd, 4th, 5th).

47 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right. Still plenty of time. Their rights are still held. Plus, with what he's traded out, Drury can probably recoup some later round picks for 2022 (missing 2nd, 3rd, own 4th, 7th) or 2023 (missing 3rd, 4th, 5th).

What's cool about that is that most other teams draft picks in those rounds will probably be better picks than our own, considering we finished as high in the standings as it looks we're going to.

• VINNY! 1

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Gauthier and Hajek are likely going on waivers with intent to send them down, Brodz likely to be sent down, but I think they still need another roster spot or 2 once Kakko and Rooney are back. I think they love Mckegg too much to risk losing on waivers and Hunt is royalty.  

Who's crying over spilled milk? I pretty much said exactly what you just enlightened us with. 

Edited by The Dude

16 hours ago, G1000 said:

Are we really doing this again? Julien Gauthier is not a good fit for this team. He's had a golden opportunity with Kravtsov deported, Blais hurt, and Kakko hurt to prove that he can do the top 6 thing, and he's played so poorly that he's been replaced by Johnny Brodzinski and Dryden Hunt. He can't do the bottom six thing - that's evident enough.

I'd say we're beating a dead horse at this point, but this horse doesn't even have flesh to beat anymore. We're exhuming empty graves.

When exactly did this top 6 thing happen? I don't recall. Please do inform me. 

Hey, let's talk about Chytil being an ugly fuck and how we don't like him some more though. 

There's plenty of dead horse shit around here. There's literally 2-3 people here talking about how they believe Gauthier is better than this. 

9 hours ago, Phil said:

Have to admit Drury did a really good job here. By the sound of it he was looking at all options, big and small. All the right type of players. It looks like he had a plan and also a strict "budget". Not gonna give away our best prospects (Schneider, Lundkvist, Otthman, Cuylle, Jones, Kravtsov) and not any 1st rounders. I think that's a smart move. We're really gonna need contribution from ELC the next 2-5 years. Rangers have also been good at drafting players late in the 1st (Kreider, Skjei, Schneider, Miller, Lundkvist).

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:30 AM, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Have to admit Drury did a really good job here. By the sound of it he was looking at all options, big and small. All the right type of players. It looks like he had a plan and also a strict "budget". Not gonna give away our best prospects (Schneider, Lundkvist, Otthman, Cuylle, Jones, Kravtsov) and not any 1st rounders. I think that's a smart move. We're really gonna need contribution from ELC the next 2-5 years. Rangers have also been good at drafting players late in the 1st (Kreider, Skjei, Schneider, Miller, Lundkvist).

I agree.

He traded B to B-minus assets or below, for 4 NHL players who can help now and actually fit the needs and chemistry of this team.

He did great.

And didn’t give up any OMG YOU TRADED THAT! Kind of things for anyone he acquired.

That said.

I still think he should go for a swing big move this summer.

But that’s market and cap dependent 

15 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I agree.

He traded B to B-minus assets or below, for 4 NHL players who can help now and actually fit the needs and chemistry of this team.

He did great.

And didn’t give up any OMG YOU TRADED THAT! Kind of things for anyone he acquired.

That said.

I still think he should go for a swing big move this summer.

But that’s market and cap dependent 

There is no cap this summer. 

A "big" move would definitely include a player of note moving out.