• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kaapo Kakko Out with UBI; Considered "Weak, Too Weak"

Phil

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I never knew how much we'd miss him!  Holy shit!  Our lack of depth is "very apparent" when he's not in the lineup.

Define "miss."

They'd be better with him than without him, but let's not make him out to be some major offensive loss. He had five goals in 37 games — on pace for 11 on the year.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Define "miss."

They'd be better with him than without him, but let's not make him out to be some major offensive loss. He had five goals in 37 games — on pace for 11 on the year.

I hear ya Phil, but he is a pretty decent NHL player, and he has more talent than guys like Hunt, and whomever we're patching his absence with.  It pushes guys up the lineup that I feel don't fit his spot, or the spot they're filling without him in there.  It's not like we're replacing his 50 goal season, but I just don't think we have anyone in the cupboard that is even on the same level as Kakko right now.

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I hear ya Phil, but he is a pretty decent NHL player, and he has more talent than guys like Hunt, and whomever we're patching his absence with.  It pushes guys up the lineup that I feel don't fit his spot, or the spot they're filling without him in there.  It's not like we're replacing his 50 goal season, but I just don't think we have anyone in the cupboard that is even on the same level as Kakko right now.

Yes, more talent. Not a meaningful difference in scoring. Hunt is on pace for 5 goals, Kakko 11. You can look at that and say "it's double," and you'd be right, but the end result is still eleven goals, total. All I'm saying is that with or without Kakko, they need real help, because he doesn't help that much.

• Keeps it 100 1

I know he doesn't necessarily help on the scoresheet, but he does help at 5v5. He'd be a great plug on either the Strome/Panarin line or a third line with Goodrow. Even if he's not scoring, he's at least helping the team win hockey games more than Hunt, McKegg, Gauthier et all. I wish we knew more about the injury and an ETA on return.

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

I know he doesn't necessarily help on the scoresheet, but he does help at 5v5. He'd be a great plug on either the Strome/Panarin line or a third line with Goodrow. Even if he's not scoring, he's at least helping the team win hockey games more than Hunt, McKegg, Gauthier et all. I wish we knew more about the injury and an ETA on return.

That's where I ultimately want him for the playoffs with one more winger on the other side. I suggested Lehkonen or Tierney for this exact role weeks ago.

Lehkonen-Goodrow-Kakko or Goodrow-Tierney-Kakko — either way, huge pain the ass to play against.

• VINNY! 2

Kakko = slightly better plug. In all likelihood based on what he's shown to date he's not going to move the needle.  Given the choice I'd still take the slightly better plug.  Plugs just aren't going to cut it though.

Edited by jsrangers

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Kakko's only job would be to push Hunt/Goodrow/McKegg down the lineup, so however much of a benefit you see that as, is how much you miss Kakko.

Right, or more specifically, to push McKegg out. That, I think, is a significant addition by subtraction, but big picture, they need a 2RW, cause Kakko ain't it either. He's barely more productive than Jesper Fast was.

To put Kakko’s production into perspective, he is producing basically the same as the board’s whipping boy Chytil, in significantly more minutes and opportunity with high end linemates. He’s a defensively responsible player so he’s more trustable than other options, but the production is a problem. He’s not a good top 6 player right now and, quite frankly, he never has been.

He’s had stretches of pretty good hockey before, but never really high end talent flashes. I’m not sure he’s had a moment like Lafreniere had last night, for example, or ever started showing flashes like Laf has over his last handful of games. But maybe it’s just been so long I don’t remember. Don’t get me wrong, Kakko has a place on an NHL roster, but I don’t see more than a decent bottom 6 guy right now and that’s only because he isn’t a liability defensively. He’s not untouchable anymore if the right trade presented itself.

• VINNY! 1

8 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

To put Kakko’s production into perspective, he is producing basically the same as the board’s whipping boy Chytil, in significantly more minutes and opportunity with high end linemates. He’s a defensively responsible player so he’s more trustable than other options, but the production is a problem. He’s not a good top 6 player right now and, quite frankly, he never has been.

He’s had stretches of pretty good hockey before, but never really high end talent flashes. I’m not sure he’s had a moment like Lafreniere had last night, for example, or ever started showing flashes like Laf has over his last handful of games. But maybe it’s just been so long I don’t remember. Don’t get me wrong, Kakko has a place on an NHL roster, but I don’t see more than a decent bottom 6 guy right now and that’s only because he isn’t a liability defensively. He’s not untouchable anymore if the right trade presented itself.

I think one of the lessons we need to take from Lafreniere and to a lesser extent Miller is that confidence plays a key role in success, and Kakko has never quite looked confident. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I'm still a believer in Kakko alongside Bread and Strome.  I think he looked good there for a stretch early in the year.

CK - Zib - Laf

Bread - Strome - Kakko

Names - Copp - Goodrow

Rooney - Barron - Reavo

Hunt

Make it happen Drury.

I don't know that this is doing much of anything to improve the 5v5 margins. It's effectively putting all your offensive hopes into Kakko and praying it works. That said, Namestnikov + Copp are solid additions. Same line of thinking I have on Tierney or Lehkonen.

If this were what were done, though, I'd be trying Namestnikov on the right of Panarin and Strome, then going Goodrow-Copp-Kakko.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't know that this is doing much of anything to improve the 5v5 margins. It's effectively putting all your offensive hopes into Kakko and praying it works. That said, Namestnikov + Copp are solid additions. Same line of thinking I have on Tierney or Lehkonen.

If this were what were done, though, I'd be trying Namestnikov on the right of Panarin and Strome, then going Goodrow-Copp-Kakko.

I think it does.  I'm still a believer because he was on that line when he started the point streak he was on in mid November.  The point streak dried up when he was moved to the top line.  

Panarin - Strome - Kakko = 164:21 @ 5v5, 7 GF 3 GA

CK - Zib - Kakko = 254:47 @ 5v5, 9 GF 6 GA

So better results for Kakko on line 2.

Panarin - Strome - Hunt = 189:43 @ 5v5, 7 GF 9 GA

Panarin - Strome - Goodrow = 113:20 @ 5v5, 7 GF 7 GA

I think the key here is that confidence can do wonders for Kakko being a young kid, just like we're seeing with Laf right now.

And for the new 3rd line.  Copp has 9 goals and 21 points 5v5.  Names has 12 goals and 22 points 5v5.  They are replacing Chytil/Gauthier who have combined for 8 goals and 17 points 5v5.  Then Kakko 4 goals and 12 points 5v5 in 37 games is replacing Hunt 3 goals and 9 points 5v5 in 48 games.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

It’s a left wrist injury, as per Brooksie.

Can Kaapo Kakko be that player when he returns from what has been revealed as a left wrist injury? Maybe, for the Finn did just fine slotting in when Artemi Panarin was sidelined with COVID-19 earlier, but president-general manager Chris Drury may not want to leave that to chance.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/03/rangers-formula-for-victory-may-not-play-as-well-in-postseason/

he's still weaks away from returning which to me would make it even more of a mistake for Drury to think Kakko is the answer in anyway to moving this team forward the rest of this season including the playoffs.  Healthy now or weaks ago and I don't think he moves the needle. At this point he's just a guy, better than Hunt but still just a guy, Jag if you will.  Maybe next year.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, Long live the King said:

I think it does.  I'm still a believer because he was on that line when he started the point streak he was on in mid November.  The point streak dried up when he was moved to the top line.  

CK - Zib - Kakko = 254:47 @ 5v5, 9 GF 6 GA

So better results for Kakko on line 2.

Panarin - Strome - Hunt = 189:43 @ 5v5, 7 GF 9 GA

Panarin - Strome - Goodrow = 113:20 @ 5v5, 7 GF 7 GA

I think the key here is that confidence can do wonders for Kakko being a young kid, just like we're seeing with Laf right now.

And for the new 3rd line.  Copp has 9 goals and 21 points 5v5.  Names has 12 goals and 22 points 5v5.  They are replacing Chytil/Gauthier who have combined for 8 goals and 17 points 5v5.  Then Kakko 4 goals and 12 points 5v5 in 37 games is replacing Hunt 3 goals and 9 points 5v5 in 48 games.  

Kakko just makes more sense on line 2 with Panarin and Strome. 

They need to find 2 more forwards in the trade market. Period.

Even with Kakko eventually returning and soaking up those minutes and with LaFreniere starting to score some and produce more, the depth isn’t there. 
While I’ll commend Goodrow for as good as he’s been and as important as he is to them, he doesn’t belong playing in the top-6 as much as he has been.

Ideally, go get a scoring winger and a checking winger. 

7 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

he's still weaks away from returning which to me would make it even more of a mistake for Drury to think Kakko is the answer in anyway to moving this team forward the rest of this season including the playoffs.  Healthy now or weaks ago and I don't think he moves the needle. At this point he's just a guy, better than Hunt but still just a guy, Jag if you will.  Maybe next year.

Kakko should be on the 3rd line for the playoffs. His strength is defense anyway and he doesn’t score, so that’s the role he should be playing rest of season. Goodrow-X-Kakko. It might even be able to generate some clutch offense depending on X. Next year he can compete for a top 6 spot again.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Kakko just makes more sense on line 2 with Panarin and Strome. 

They need to find 2 more forwards in the trade market. Period.

Even with Kakko eventually returning and soaking up those minutes and with LaFreniere starting to score some and produce more, the depth isn’t there. 
While I’ll commend Goodrow for as good as he’s been and as important as he is to them, he doesn’t belong playing in the top-6 as much as he has been.

Ideally, go get a scoring winger and a checking winger. 

3c?

4 hours ago, josh said:

Goodrow is better in the Qing. He can be used as an emergency C if something happens. He shouldn’t  be the option, though 

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

2nd line RW and 3rd line C.

Chytil, Lundkvist and Georgiev will be enroute somewhere else in a couple weeks hopefully with the plugs for those holes coming back!

I’m good with either to be honest.

Usually easier to find W this time of year, so that’s probably more plausible 

Can we talk about Kakkos ceiling? What comps are we looking at? I dont want JT Miller remorse if he were dealt but I also don't want to hold on since he is probably our most valuable young asset at the moment. Would you trade him for the right package at the moment?

Kakko and Lundkvist for JT Miller?

I think this convo needs to be had because we need to decide if we are trying to win a cup with this core or not? Are we waiting 3-5 years for hopeful development or making a push?

Edited by jsm7302