• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kaapo Kakko Out with UBI; Considered "Weak, Too Weak"

Phil

14 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

This dude break his wrist or have ACL reconstruction? Feels like he has been out for months.

His last game was 1/21, so going on 2 months.  

Recovering from wrist surgery takes time, shit you basically have to build back strength and mobility which is totally wiped out after surgery.  

I had wrist surgery a few years ago and it took me a good 3-4 months to pick up something like 5 lbs, and I didnt have world class physical therapy 24/7.  

Fernando Tatis Jr. is going to have wrist surgery and he will be out a minimum of 3 months.  

10 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

His last game was 1/21, so going on 2 months.  

Recovering from wrist surgery takes time, shit you basically have to build back strength and mobility which is totally wiped out after surgery.  

I had wrist surgery a few years ago and it took me a good 3-4 months to pick up something like 5 lbs, and I didnt have world class physical therapy 24/7.  

Fernando Tatis Jr. is going to have wrist surgery and he will be out a minimum of 3 months.  

Yeah. Wrist injuries fucking suck. They take a long time to heal, long time to rehab. 

I think he's lucky to hit the ice before April. 

23 minutes ago, josh said:

Same people whining about the Buchnevich return are suggesting overpaying for vets that don’t check boxes and have big cap hits next season.

fuckin rangers fans, man. 

I believe I'm the only one who complains about the Buchnevich return.

So, what vets am I suggesting that don't check boxes or have contracts past this season? 

Penalty killer isn't a box that desperately needs to be checked IMO. I know it's atop of your priorities for some reason. 

One or more of:

Center with ability to carry the 3rd line and potentially slot up. 

Shooter 

Grinder who can legit slot up.

Face off guy.

Buzz saw. 

Are the only boxes I think need be checked.  

I just now talked in the Kane thread. That's the only name being discussed that carries a contract past this season (and Gourde, but....). 

I'm full blown Stastny or Copp and a shooting winger or 2. Kessel and Domi are my targets for the wing.  Kessel as a shooting winger and Domi as filler/ insurance/depth that can move around the lineup and play center in a pinch. I want a veteran D man like Leddy or obviously better... but at the right cost 

None of which are going to break the bank, nor carry over to next season. Some will say these are moves just to make moves and that theses guys don't move the needle enough. I think the Rangers need better than what they have as depth and these names are definitely better than what they have. Hunt, Brodz, McKegg, Gettinger, Gauthier, Nemeth, Hajek can alll be gone and replaced with better options for this one season run.

Stack the roster. These current depth options STINK. Use that cap space. If Kessel winds up being the 13th/14th forward, what do we lose? Money. 

• 3 weeks later...

No clue where Kakko fits right now. Our top 9 is put together nicely with Strome back and everyone is playing well. I think maybe he should make his way back on the 4th line RW with Motte/Brodz or Rooney. Ready to move up if play warrants and if top 9 starts to go stale (i.e., Vatrano goes cold, Chytil goes cold, Copp 2RW for whatever reason starts not to be an answer, etc.). I think he should earn his way back up the ranks. He could also really elevate the 4th line and we know he’s defensively sound.

For all his "great" play recently, Chytil has 1g, 3p in his last 10, 1 point in the last 5. He's looked better and more engaged, but he's still not good enough to be our 3C if we want to make some noise. I'm sorry, but Laf-Chytil as a duo has looked decent recently, but they're just not good enough.

When we have a full healthy roster, Chytil should be a healthy scratch:

Kreids-zib-Vat

Panarin-Strome-Copp/Kakko

Laf-Goodrow-Kakko/Copp

Motte - Rooney - Hunt/Brodz/Reaves

8 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

No clue where Kakko fits right now. Our top 9 is put together nicely with Strome back and everyone is playing well. I think maybe he should make his way back on the 4th line RW with Motte/Brodz or Rooney. Ready to move up if play warrants and if top 9 starts to go stale (i.e., Vatrano goes cold, Chytil goes cold, Copp 2RW for whatever reason starts not to be an answer, etc.). I think he should earn his way back up the ranks. He could also really elevate the 4th line and we know he’s defensively sound.

For me, Vatrano and Copp are both playing higher up the lineup then they should be. Vatrano moreso than Copp. He had a great start here but he's not going to sustain those point totals. 

I agree however that there's not an obvious spot for Kakko. It was 2nd line RW until Copp proved he can play there. Kakko wasn't very good on the top line so I don't think he's the answer there either. I wish he'd get back sooner rather than later so Gallant can play with the lines to see what works.

8 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

For all his "great" play recently, Chytil has 1g, 3p in his last 10, 1 point in the last 5. He's looked better and more engaged, but he's still not good enough to be our 3C if we want to make some noise. I'm sorry, but Laf-Chytil as a duo has looked decent recently, but they're just not good enough.

When we have a full healthy roster, Chytil should be a healthy scratch:

Kreids-zib-Vat

Panarin-Strome-Copp/Kakko

Laf-Goodrow-Kakko/Copp

Motte - Rooney - Hunt/Brodz/Reaves

Poor guy was sent to break the modern-day record for recent Rangers draft pick's points (also his and Kakko's career high) of 23 points. Once Lafreniere hit 25 points against Buffalo, Chytil was done.

But no - its that line. They have no identity. What are they there for?