• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lundkvist 'Blue Chip Most Likely to Be Played' at Deadline?

Phil

45 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Why wouldnt anyone want to give up Lundkvist for a "rental"?  East is open to make a run, what does one need to make a deep run?  A top notch/hot goalie (Shesterkin checks the box), an above average PP (Rangers check the box), some grit/nastiness (Rangers check the box).  By trading Lundqvist they can check more boxes (3rd line C?, 2nd line RW?, 6 or 7 D?, added depth?).  And quite possibly the "rental" would sign another contract (Giroux?) w/ the NYR.  Maybe the "rental" means more for the growth and experience.  Lundkvist isnt Makar/Fox, at this time he's a marginal defenseman where the Rangers have plenty of depth to make him expendable.  He shouldnt be the hang-up to making a move now.  

I wasn't even going to go this deep but it's a great point -- depending on who we're talking about here, it's entirely possible whoever they get isn't a one-off, but someone who sticks around another year or two.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Is Lundkvist high end after a  bland start to his NHL career as well as what looks like an even worse go at it in the AHL?

Even Hajek produced in his shirt stint down there. 1 assist in 8 games isn't looking too high end.  He's either very unhappy or very regular/not good. 

I deal him ASAP before the potential plummet in value. If he went to A and dominated, I'd agree with you. 

You have to give him time. And yes, I think he’s a high-end prospect. 

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I wasn't even going to go this deep but it's a great point -- depending on who we're talking about here, it's entirely possible whoever they get isn't a one-off, but someone who sticks around another year or two.

Define rental, too. 

I know I've shat on this idea in the past, however I can't help but wonder. If you pick up a guy like Pavelski, or Giroux, or really any of these OGWACs we're thinking are strong mid-six fits who have made something like $65-75M in their careers and the last thing they need is the cup - is there a better place to sign going into next season than us? Vezina caliber goalie, Norris winning defender, two of the top goalscorers in the NHL, three of the top 15 point-getters in the NHL - the pieces are there for a really convincing argument that you come to NY for a great chance at a cup. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

You seriously talking about a cup win this year?  

i hear the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale. Interested?

Yes, we've been over this a million times. We are. We have the trade deadline by a stranglehold because we're cap salient and we're a piece or two away from a serious run. Pieces we can get, because point A. 

Might not win it, but failing to try this season should be a terminable offense for Drury.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

Just now, G1000 said:

Yes, we've been over this a million times. We are. We have the trade deadline by a stranglehold because we're cap salient and we're a piece or two away from a serious run. Pieces we can get, because point A. 

Might not win it, but failing to try this season should be a terminable offense for Drury.

I dont see it that way.  This team has more holes than swiss cheese and 1 or 2 pieces will not make us favorites. Our bottom six has McKegg and Gauthier, Reeves and Hunt. Our Dis totally inexperienced except for Trouba. What Cup run? 

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

I dont see it that way.  This team has more holes than swiss cheese and 1 or 2 pieces will not make us favorites. Our bottom six has McKegg and Gauthier, Reeves and Hunt. Our Dis totally inexperienced except for Trouba. What Cup run? 

Naming the guys getting replaced by our deadline moves and then ignoring that we have the frigging Norris winner on D doesn't make your argument any more convincing. Not to mention that Ryan Reaves has gone further in the playoffs more times than anyone on our roster short of Barclay Goodrow and Sammy Blais.

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

Naming the guys getting replaced by our deadline moves and then ignoring that we have the frigging Norris winner on D doesn't make your argument any more convincing. Not to mention that Ryan Reaves has gone further in the playoffs more times than anyone on our roster short of Barclay Goodrow and Sammy Blais.

Now you going to attribute Blues and Vegas playoff success to Ryan Reeves?

and if you claim Ryan Reeves with the most experience in the playoffs on this team, i rest my case. 

Edited by CCCP

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

But who cares? They have a flier with cap space this year and assets to burn. Why not plug the holes and roll the dice? There is literally no reason not to.

Kravtsov isn't coming back. There's no room for Lundkvist. They have picks to trade. Those assets alone should get 1-2 quality upgrades. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Now you going to attribute Blues and Vegas playoff success to Ryan Reeves?

and if you claim Ryan Reeves with the most experience in the playoffs on this team, i rest my case. 

I literally didn't, but whatever makes your argument right and mine wrong, right? 

Just now, Pete said:

But who cares? They have a flier with cap space this year and assets to burn. Why not plug the holes and roll the dice? There is literally no reason not to.

Kravtsov isn't coming back. There's no room for Lundkvist. They have picks to trade. Those assets alone should get 1-2 quality upgrades. 

By all means they should try but even adding 1 or 2 pieces isnt enough for this season IMO. 
also, i dont like the idea of trading high end prospects like Lindkvist for over the hill rentals. Packaging him up with others for a legit player that can play for years to come, that’s what i’d expect.  

19 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Define rental, too. 

I know I've shat on this idea in the past, however I can't help but wonder. If you pick up a guy like Pavelski, or Giroux, or really any of these OGWACs we're thinking are strong mid-six fits who have made something like $65-75M in their careers and the last thing they need is the cup - is there a better place to sign going into next season than us? Vezina caliber goalie, Norris winning defender, two of the top goalscorers in the NHL, three of the top 15 point-getters in the NHL - the pieces are there for a really convincing argument that you come to NY for a great chance at a cup. 

Right. This is exactly what I'm getting at. It's not apples-to-apples, exactly, but I'm looking at the Marty St. Louis trade here as an example. Grizzled veteran, highly-productive, in search of a Cup.

• VINNY! 1

32 minutes ago, CCCP said:

You seriously talking about a cup win this year?  

i hear the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale. Interested?

I guess MTL, Dallas, STL, Nashville should have just packed it in in the last few years and not think about possibly making a run to the Stanley Cup Final 1/2 way through the season.  

We saw what MTL did last season, Dallas was a 5 seed, STL was last in the NHL at the 1/2 way mark, Nashville was the #8 seed that made it to the Final.  

Edited by Blue Heaven
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

20 minutes ago, G1000 said:

This, this, this, this, this.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

I guess MTL, Dallas, STL, Nashville should have just packed it in in the last few years and not think about possibly making a run to the Stanley Cup Final 1/2 way through the season.  

We saw was MTL did last season, Dallas was a 5 seed, STL was last in the NHL at the 1/2 way mark, Nashville was the #8 seed that made it to the Final.  

Not just them — anyone who isn't subjectively determined to be "likeliest" to win the Cup, apparently.

It's the same argument I run into no matter who the person. "Well, I don't think they can win." Great. That's flimsy evidence to suggest they shouldn't capitalize on this incredible opportunity to swing for the fences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

This, this, this, this, this.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

And honestly what the fuck is it really going to cost us to bring in, say, Lehkonen, Pavelski or Gingeroux, and lets say for fun, 3 months of Hampus Lindholm? 

1st, 3rd, Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Robertson? Maybe one more piece?

11 minutes ago, CCCP said:

By all means they should try but even adding 1 or 2 pieces isnt enough for this season IMO. 
also, i dont like the idea of trading high end prospects like Lindkvist for over the hill rentals. Packaging him up with others for a legit player that can play for years to come, that’s what i’d expect.  

There is a benefit for this team being more than one and done. Saying that they shouldn't make moves to go on as deep around as possible because you don't think they're going to win a cup is robbing them of experience.

Saying we shouldn't trade a guy who's probably never going to get meaningful minutes for the Rangers in exchange for guys who might get you past R1 and maybe deep/beyond R2 has more value to this team today than yet another prospect. 

It's also highly debatable right now if Nils is high end or just highly touted. 

• Like 2
  • VINNY! 1

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

Schneider has already surpassed him and you've got Fox for 10 years and Trouba for 4 more, and likely an extension...and even so, what are you gonna do? Keep him in the AHL until he's 26 and Trouba is gone and he still will be 3rd pair with little PP time?

The D is set, especially on the right side, for years. There are even RD prospects behind Nils who are suited for 3rd pair. There's no spot for him.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to keep him just because. His role shouldn't be "AHL fodder, injury filler for bottom pair"...he's not that guy. 

38 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly. He, more than anyone, should want more. I've no problem moving him, and I don't need another 20-year-old for him. Just need something useful.

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Why wouldnt anyone want to give up Lundkvist for a "rental"?  East is open to make a run, what does one need to make a deep run?  A top notch/hot goalie (Shesterkin checks the box), an above average PP (Rangers check the box), some grit/nastiness (Rangers check the box).  By trading Lundqvist they can check more boxes (3rd line C?, 2nd line RW?, 6 or 7 D?, added depth?).  And quite possibly the "rental" would sign another contract (Giroux?) w/ the NYR.  Maybe the "rental" means more for the growth and experience.  Lundkvist isnt Makar/Fox, at this time he's a marginal defenseman where the Rangers have plenty of depth to make him expendable.  He shouldnt be the hang-up to making a move now.  

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

28 minutes ago, G1000 said:

You guys are on to something here, and I really wasn't thinking that this year would be "the year", but why the hell not??

Seems like the foundation for this is now pretty well set.   Did it happen faster than we think?  Yeah, and thank god!!

Fuck it, why not roll the dice?  Lundy is a good player and he's basically Trade money.  He most likely won't make it here but what he can bring us may be exctly what we need to fill a gap...maybe going forward too, like Phil said.

Fuck it...I'm in!

Man, it's fair. If you asked us in October what the goal was, it's "make playoffs, take step". We're one of the top 5 teams in the NHL so far. We have a few statement wins and a few games that exposed us. We have the most advantageous cap situation we're ever going to have. Half the value in a rebuild is to have this exact conversation at some point - who fits, who doesn't, who do we need to trade to get the pieces for this team to win a Cup? 

Go for it. The worst that happens is, what? We lose a guy like Kravtsov who would never play for us anyway? Or a Lundkvist, who is clearly blocked from being impactful on our roster? Or Robertson, same? Or even if it costs us a Chytil - are we really that mad?

• Like 2
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Had/have high hopes for Nils but unfortunately you’re right I’m not seeing a spot for him unless Miller is moved.

my only problem with trading him now is that his value may be at arguably the lowest it’s been since he’s been drafted. 

Nah, even then. Lundkvist plays the right. Miller plays the left. Lundkvist is staring down a daunting NHL path with the Rangers. Especially if he wants to be on the PP. Fox is here for a decade. Trouba is here for like half that. Schneider is far more suited for a third-pairing while he lays in wait to replace Trouba, eventually.

Who here is Nils going to conceivably beat? He has no future here. None.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

There is a benefit for this team being more than one and done. Saying that they shouldn't make moves to go on as deep around as possible because you don't think they're going to win a cup is robbing them of experience.

Saying we shouldn't trade a guy who's probably never going to get meaningful minutes for the Rangers in exchange for guys who might get you past R1 and maybe deep/beyond R2 has more value to this team today than yet another prospect. 

It's also highly debatable right now if Nils is high end or just highly touted. 

I guess. I’d go more for experience and seasoning than actual cup run.  Just dont want lose our prospects and picks for someone who’s not going to be around next fall. We have highly talented prospects in the system in Othmann, Cuyle, Jones, and yes Lunkvist. Just dont want to gut this for a false hope. 

When you have the best goaltender in the league, why the hell not throw the kitchen sink at the deadline. 

Banners fly forever, and as we hae unfortunately seen - the opportunity to make a real run at one doesn't happen very often. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Man, it's fair. If you asked us in October what the goal was, it's "make playoffs, take step". We're one of the top 5 teams in the NHL so far. We have a few statement wins and a few games that exposed us. We have the most advantageous cap situation we're ever going to have. Half the value in a rebuild is to have this exact conversation at some point - who fits, who doesn't, who do we need to trade to get the pieces for this team to win a Cup? 

Go for it. The worst that happens is, what? We lose a guy like Kravtsov who would never play for us anyway? Or a Lundkvist, who is clearly blocked from being impactful on our roster? Or Robertson, same? Or even if it costs us a Chytil - are we really that mad?

Those are trade chips for sure. But like i said, i dont like the idea of trading them for rentals who most likely wont be here come September.  I’s rather package them for a regular

4 minutes ago, CCCP said:

I guess. I’d go more for experience and seasoning than actual cup run.  Just dont want lose our prospects and picks for someone who’s not going to be around next fall. We have highly talented prospects in the system in Othmann, Cuyle, Jones, and yes Lunkvist. Just dont want to gut this for a false hope. 

No one is suggesting they gut the farm. What's being backed here is strategically dealing from organizational depth.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1