• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vegas About to Run the Lightning's 'Over the Cap' Playbook; Stone to LTIR for Rest of Season?

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Vegas About to Run the Lightning's 'Over the Cap' Playbook; Stone to LTIR for Rest of Season?
4 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't see the big deal. 

Same. This has actually been happening forever. The Bruins, years ago, did the exact same thing with Miro Satan toward the end of the year. He was making like $4+ million and would have put them over the cap, but was hurt, so they put him on LTIR, and he was back for the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Same. This has actually been happening forever. The Bruins, years ago, did the exact same thing with Miro Satan toward the end of the year. He was making like $4+ million and would have put them over the cap, but was hurt, so they put him on LTIR, and he was back for the playoffs.

Right. And I'm sure if given a choice, players aren't going miss time. Nobody's faking an injury and missing months so their club can be over the cap.

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

No I’m sorry but it’s cheating. Why have a cap at all? This just benefits rich teams and promotes inequity, and last season at least, it’s hard to argue that it didn’t play a factor in the cup win

Well it's not cheating because it's in the rules.

Look, Fox was hurt and the Rangers were winning, if for some reason he was out until the playoffs and the Rangers grabbed Chychurin and then got Fox back for the playoffs....No one would complain.

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well it's not cheating because it's in the rules.

Look, Fox was hurt and the Rangers were winning, if for some reason he was out until the playoffs and the Rangers grabbed Chychurin and then got Fox back for the playoffs....No one would complain.

We have the cap space for that though.

What we need to explore is trading for Liane, resigning him, and having Panarin on LTIR all season next year.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

We have the cap space for that though.

What we need to explore is trading for Liane, resigning him, and having Panarin on LTIR all season next year.

Come onnnnnn! Clearly I was just painting a picture of the hypocrisy!

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Right. And I'm sure if given a choice, players aren't going miss time. Nobody's faking an injury and missing months so their club can be over the cap.

11 hours ago, Phil said:

And no team is going to forge docs, either, for that matter. This is just much ado about nothing. Shit happens.

I mean, frankly, I give these teams credit for being able to be this nimble around such a tight cap.

I do agree about faking and forging. Not happening. The rub though is that a player might be having a corrective surgery mid season for a nagging injury instead of at the conclusion of the season if it benefits all parties involved to win a cup. That is kind of circumventing the cap in a way. 
I think in this case, it’s worse than the Kucherov situation. The dude just went to the all star game and played after. There is no way this was just a freak injury if there are reports are accurate for done for the regular season already. Usually a new injury gets second opinions, wait and see stuff, etc. 

Kucherov wins a cup and has surgery after the season. That to me is not that bad. The lightning likely knew his injury and the player most likely chose to fight through it for the playoffs like every other player does so when their offseason came, the organization knew Kucherov is likely out for most of the season. We all just didn’t know it. They held it close to their vest. 

Vegas trades for a guy mid season to be well over the cap. At some point either before or after that trade they had to know Stone has a nagging injury. It probably not exactly a coincidence he suddenly elects to have a corrective surgery that just so happens to put him out for the rest of the regular season and allows Eichel to play. 

Not forged. Just against the spirit of the game in my opinion. I’m sure eventually the loophole will be closed. Probably the best way is for the NHL to start getting the team dr medical reports of players with significant injuries. 

I still don't get it the issue. Why should a player have to play through a nagging injury?

I'm sure Stone appreciates that he can get himself healthy and not worry about his team losing ground without him, because here comes Eichel.

What would raise flags even more for me would be if they put their 9-13th forwards on IR. 

But teams are putting their best players on IR and they're still winning.