• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

(Click Bait) Shesterkin for McDavid?

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

Kick save and a beauty was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

Ok we have a couple of weeks left before the March 21 trade deadline and Shesterkin Hart trophy talk has picked up in recent days so I thought we might have a little fun and address the Hart conversation from a different angle.

I think pretty much every Rangers fan would do the Igor for Connor trade but maybe not.  Where does a 24 year old superstar goaltender rank in terms of his trade value relative to the other top players in the league?  Is a lights-out goaltender implicitly more valuable than any forward or defenseman because of the minutes he plays? If there is a list of players around the league that you would take in a straight up trade for him, how long is that list?  Who is on it?

Let's simplify the question as to which players would you do a straight up trade for Igor today?  So probably no Crosby or Ovechkin because their best days are behind them.  Take injury history into account.

My sense is that there are probably half a dozen players led by MsDavid who we would all take but then it gets a bit tricky after that.

My Own List

Connor McDavid

Leon Daisaitl

Austen Mathews

Jonathan Huberdeau

After that i am not sure.

This is a theoretical exercise only and a little bit of fun.  If you in the "it will never happen so this is a stupid conversation camp" then feel free to give the thread a pass. 

• Like 1

If history has taught us anything, it's that anything can happen in the NHL!!! 

Fun to think we could pry away any of those guys with Igor, but I'm hanging on to Igor for dear life, Kicks!

I think one of the guys said the same thing about coaches, and I think it applies to goalies even more:

"You show me a Stanley Cup, and I'll show you an elite goaltender"!

The guy is the lifeblood of this team, and has been all season...I could only imagine what our record would be without him....matter of fact, I don't even wanna know!!  LOL

We are currently only as successful as we are because Shesterkin is playing like a man possessed. I don't think McDavid would solve our 5v5 issues or our issues driving play/preventing shots and scoring chances against. If we got him, sure we'd be putting up 5 goals a game, but we'd be giving up 6. I think the bigger question is if you move someone like Fox for McDavid. But again, our issue is not scoring goals. The team scores plenty of goals especially with Kreider having such a good season. The issue is preventing shots and chances against, and that's mostly due to our lack of strong roster depth. I like the thought exercise, but it's a no from me. Now if we talked about trading one of our top-6 players to address our overall lack of depth, I think that would be another good thought exercise that might be closer to fruition.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

In a vacuum if we get to ignore the cap, yes, it’s still a no brainer. Oilers missing or failing in the playoffs isn’t McDavid’s fault. That’s management’s fault for being shit at building a team. With that said, we can’t ignore the cap. Igor is currently right there with the best value contracts in the league. Probably the best actually. That adds a ton of value. In a cap world, it’s Igor + $7M to buy a center OR just McDavid. 

Honestly, no one. Not even McDavid. He's the best player in the NHL (or the most skilled, depending on how you want to argue it) but you're robbing Peter to pay Paul by doing this. Like @Long live the King said, you just become the Oilers.

Call me old school, but much as I love offense, elite teams build from the net out. Goaltender matters most of all, then your defense, then your forwards.

5 minutes ago, josh said:

Yes.

id do fox+ for McDavid too 

I think Fox+ for McDavid might be an easier conversation. You heavily rely on Schneider and Lundkvist to develop and be able to deputize those minutes. You move Panarin to the point on the PP, and have McDavid on the right circle. Schneider continues to kill penalties, and Lundkvist gets on the 2nd unit. Or you bring in a lower cost RHD to eat minutes on the third pair alongside Jones.

I'm not saying it's easy to replace Fox because he's a Norris trophy-caliber all situations top-5 defenseman in the league, but his role can be deputized. If we trade Shesterkin, there's no replacing that for this team and improving. We add McDavid but get Georgiev in net. We're sunk and we're not going to do much outside of maybe make the playoffs and get smoked in a round or two.

5 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I don't know why goalies don't get more Hart votes, IMO they're the most important part of your team. If your goalie sucks, you ain't winning shit. (see McDavid and the Oilers)

I think the Vezina was really created to single out the goalies, because of this fact, 31.  It just that Igor is so damn good this season, that he should be not only "in the conversation" for the Hart, but right now I think he should be the odds on favorite to win it.

Shesty is more valuable for sure, if he keeps up this performance year after year. But that's the thing about goaltending - you very often see significant drop offs after a a few great seasons. Hard to see Mcdavid not being among the best in hockey for his entire career.

52 minutes ago, Phil said:

Honestly, no one. Not even McDavid. He's the best player in the NHL (or the most skilled, depending on how you want to argue it) but you're robbing Peter to pay Paul by doing this. Like @Long live the King said, you just become the Oilers.

Call me old school, but much as I love offense, elite teams build from the net out. Goaltender matters most of all, then your defense, then your forwards.

Without Shesterkin and the occassional hot Georgiev I think we are the Oilers+Goodrow right now. Shesty is also worth more relative to his contract 5 or 6 million for a potential top 5 goaltender season in history. One for one you can make an argument but I think without Shesty our whole playstyle changes and is more risk averse. Our team D isn't good enough to compensate for Georgiev/Kinkaid having an off night.

If cap weren’t an issue I’d do it. Edmonton is Edmonton because no one wants to be there, not because they have McDavid. I’m sure we could find an all star replacement at the goalie that won’t be generational, but can get the job done. Guys want to be in NY. Edmonton, not so much. 

I didn't read through everything but really the biggest difference between the Oilers and the Rangers is goaltending.

• Led by a few elite players
  • Live on the powerplay
  • not good defensively

Shesty is the only reason this team is where it is right now. If Shesty was even a .930 goalie...The Rangers are likely a bubble team when you think about how many shots they give up a game.