• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#57) Rangers at Minnesota Wild — Streaking Down the Road [Trip]

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I wish it weren't the case, especially for a player who you can literally just re-sign if you want him back that badly this summer (Flyers). I just think they'll see the calls from the Rangers and the Panthers and say "fuck the Rangers, go with Florida."

Owen Tippett was the prospect from Florida that Philly was apparently scouting.

They certainly sounded like the favorites to grab him.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I wish it weren't the case, especially for a player who you can literally just re-sign if you want him back that badly this summer (Flyers). I just think they'll see the calls from the Rangers and the Panthers and say "fuck the Rangers, go with Florida."

I think Giroux is going to have a major say in where he goes based on what's been written. That's how much respect the org has for his time served. 

5 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

They’ve lost the last 6 of 7 and just beat a high flying Rangers team. And what? No standing ovation for the last minute of play? They’re all higher than I was in college. And that’s saying something. 

Good point, I forgot they were on such a down stretch.

3 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I think Giroux is going to have a major say in where he goes based on what's been written. That's how much respect the org has for his time served. 

I'm sure. He has complete control with his clause. But that's not making me any more confident he's going to choose New York.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm sure. He has complete control with his clause. But that's not making me any more confident he's going to choose New York.

I'm leaning towards we're pretty far down on his list not even taking into consideration them not wanting to deal him in the division. I'm basing that on my crystal ball, actually it's some things I read a couple months back that I'm too lazy to go back and try and hunt down. They were just thoughts from guys that cover him on a daily basis. 

However, that said I suppose anything is possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Gonna say it again: this team needs multiple forwards at the deadline. Upward of three. 2RW and two third line players to allow them to build an actual checking line that won't get caved the way any of the formations they have now do.

Get the AHLers back to the AHL, or onto other NHL rosters as soon as humanly possible. Chytil, Gauthier, Hunt are utterly unreliable players. Brodzinski, Gettinger, and probably Barron are still AHL players.

Lehkonen-Tierney-Goodrow or Lehkonen-Goodrow-Connor Brown would do real fucking wonders to balance shit out once the team gets healthy again.

I'm not opposed to getting someone like Ryan Carpenter for the fourth line, either, though I understand there's probably a breaking point where too many in and out at once can fuck up team chemistry.

I think if we are going to make a playoff run I agree we need 2 more wingers for the top two lines from trades or offseason pickups.  I thought it was interesting to see Reaves on the top line... if he could build some chemistry, and Lafreniere continues to make progress those may be your best options on the roster for to the Kreider-Zib and Bread-Strome combos. Reaves at least brings a physical presence and could force turnovers in the offensive zone.

Georgiev gave up 5 goals on 17 shots through 2 periods. At least 2, and I would argue 3, were complete junk and on Georgiev. The first goal in particular was utter trash.

There were some lapses, but they didn't really give up a lot of chances tonight as we've seen in games past where Igor has clearly stepped up. This was not just a "Igor didn't play" game, this was a "Igor didn't play, and Georgiev played well under replacement level".

To be fair, Georgiev needs games strung together to get a groove. He's always been that way. This was predictable.

Edited by rmc51

Georgievs stats don’t lie and it’s not because the team lets him get shelled every game, he’s just awful

but this game the team also got outplayed by a big and strong team. I don’t think we learned much here - Igor can’t play every game 

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Georgiev gave up 5 goals on 17 shots through 2 periods. At least 2, and I would argue 3, were complete junk and on Georgiev. The first goal in particular was utter trash.

There were some lapses, but they didn't really give up a lot of chances tonight as we've seen in games past where Igor has clearly stepped up. This was not just a "Igor didn't play" game, this was a "Igor didn't play, and Georgiev played well under replacement level".

To be fair, Georgiev needs games strung together to get a groove. He's always been that way. This was predictable.

I agree. The issue is that, as backup, outside of a catastrophe for this team, Georgiev is never going to play consistently. Injuries or illness happen, where he may need to play a few in a row here and there. But mainly, his job is to play those rare games Shesterkin gets off, coming in cold and just keeping the teams head above water. Georgiev can only manage to do that when he plays consistently. And that isn’t the role of a backup. It’s just not a fit. He hasn’t been happy about his role, and the Rangers can’t be happy about his play when it comes to it strictly in the role of a backup. When Georgiev gets his “backup starts” as opposed to playing a few in a row when Igor was out injured, he has been absolutely horrendous.

I can understand inserting Reaves on the first line for a few shifts to shake things up, fine.  But when you do it over 40 odd minutes, you lose some chances, and I could see that tonight.  He's not fast enough to play with MZ and CK consistently.

Wild fans do nothing for their homies.  Lindy, Miller and Brod got little response when announced as starters.  What a nice play when Miller didn't bite on one of Kril the Thrills moves.

Ranger nation may be a nation of front runners - twice as many blue shirts as the last time the Rangers were here in 2020.  Only highlight on the night was Wild fan being forced into submission when he tried to get a stick that MZ tossed to a young girl wearing 93 during warmups.  

I've watched Gettinger playing for Hartford a few times and been impressed with him as a big guy with some skill, but he seems inert when inserted here.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I can understand inserting Reaves on the first line for a few shifts to shake things up, fine.  But when you do it over 40 odd minutes, you lose some chances, and I could see that tonight.  He's not fast enough to play with MZ and CK consistently.

Wild fans do nothing for their homies.  Lindy, Miller and Brod got little response when announced as starters.  What a nice play when Miller didn't bite on one of Kril the Thrills moves.

Ranger nation may be a nation of front runners - twice as many blue shirts as the last time the Rangers were here in 2020.  Only highlight on the night was Wild fan being forced into submission when he tried to get a stick that MZ tossed to a young girl wearing 93 during warmups.  

I've watched Gettinger playing for Hartford a few times and been impressed with him as a big guy with some skill, but he seems inert when inserted here.

Rangers nation is just a bit too she’ll shocked over their collective fanbase. We win once a century basically. We have 36 wins through 56 games this year and the second we are losing (which happens so infrequently this year) we  search for reasons to prove we aren’t good instead of realizing we actually are good. It is what it is.  

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Last 10 games before tonight we are

7-3 with one win being in the shootout

we have scored 21 even strength goals and 7 power play goals.

In 4 of those 7 wins,  we beat Florida, Boston, Washington, St Louis. But yeah, it’s all smoke and mirrors for our team. Suuuuuuure. 

Florida was pre-break on the second game of a B2B and they played their backup.

Boston (out of playoff picture at the time) was missing Bergeron and Marchand and they barely won.

Washington was sliding and still is. 

They lost to Detroit and Vancouver who aren't playoff teams. 

They got out shot in almost every game. 

A team as good as you think they are should be able to overcome a bad performance by a backup goalie every 2 weeks. 

But they're don't. Because they're not. 

They scored 2 goals off a team that just gave up 50 in their last 10.

No PP...no Igor...no chance to win.

7 hours ago, Valriera said:

he’s just awful

But we know that's not true. Because when Igor got hurt (and he does get hurt annually), Geo was very good.

He wasn't good last night. But everyone thinks this is gonna get solved with another backup...I'm more inclined to believe another backup makes this a 3-2 loss, but a loss nonetheless. 

8 hours ago, fletch said:

I think if we are going to make a playoff run I agree we need 2 more wingers for the top two lines from trades or offseason pickups.  I thought it was interesting to see Reaves on the top line... if he could build some chemistry, and Lafreniere continues to make progress those may be your best options on the roster for to the Kreider-Zib and Bread-Strome combos. Reaves at least brings a physical presence and could force turnovers in the offensive zone.

If Reaves is on their top line, they're sunk. Blais might have been able to handle that role. Reaves won't.

9 hours ago, pws85nyr said:

Georgiev’s last 4 games stats look horrific lol.

0-4

He’s as consistent as Igor in his own way

George was playing well but can’t stand being in Igor’s shadow

14 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

Spoilers: this team isn't making a deep playoff run. This is a one and done season.

Let's re evaluate after the deadline. There is no denying the team has potential to steal a series in a favorable match-up.  Some depth issues at play but that could still be addressed.

9 minutes ago, Go Blue said:

He’s as consistent as Igor in his own way

George was playing well but can’t stand being in Igor’s shadow

You don't know who is stepping in the crease when they play Georgie and that is essentially the problem. We need a stable backup who can come in and play a game here and there. This guy is not that.

• VINNY! 1

9 hours ago, pws85nyr said:

Georgiev’s last 4 games stats look horrific lol.

0-4

That's his last 4 games...The ones before were .971, .929, .947

His last 3 starts are 3/8, 2/27, 2/15...The guy isn't going to be good paying every 2-3 weeks. 

It's really a rock and a hard place situation because they need to play Igor to win, and people can get all huffy about Geo, but every other starter in the NHL could take a turn in our net and I can say with confidence that our record in those 32 games would easily be sub .500.

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

You don't know who is stepping in the crease when they play Georgie and that is essentially the problem. We need a stable backup who can come in and play a game here and there. This guy is not that.

Unless that "stable backup" is a .935+ goalie, this is not the case.

11 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Time to go to bed, not worth it to lose an hour of sleep when Georgiev is in net

I guess I didnt miss much except for a couple of minute stretch in the 2nd when they tied it, then shit the bed again.  I'd say thats a win for me.

Welcome back once again, folks!!!  I'm guessing not too many of us were too surprised with last night's outcome.

........And here are the Top 15 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Hoover vacuums...the only things that sucked more than the Rangers last night!

14 hours ago, Cr00zng said:

So, what you're saying is, that no matter what Georgie will do, it will stink!!!🤣

12 hours ago, Flynn said:

That was softer than a Pampers full of newborn shit 

12 hours ago, phillyb said:

WTF

OH, Georgiev's in net. Go fuck yourself Geo. 

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

At some point is has to be discussed that Geo has the mental makeup of a 7 year old who got his Xbox taken away. I get being rusty, but that’s just an average shot attempt. 

12 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

WTF? I thought the Wild sucked? Farg!!!!

PS - Which bar is Ozzy at? I’m getting in my car. 

12 hours ago, pws85nyr said:

The fact you knew it would be an L the minute Geo was listed as the starter says it all

12 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Georgiev sucks for trivia. 

11 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

This game is two periods past a pregnancy and it’s still feels like an abortion. 

11 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Dryden Hunt, not a 2nd liner, but playing one on TV.

11 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Goal changed to Dylan Hunt per Joe, the other clueless guy calling the game after reviewing the replay.

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

We need a ban on Bulgarian goaltenders

11 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

Always a chance with the Rangers in the 3rd!  Maybe they should just pull Geo and play with 6 forwards from the puck drop in the third.  He’s not stopping much.

10 hours ago, Phil said:

"I'm tired of having lung cancer. Let's trade it for heart disease."

There are no goaltending options coming from within. They'll trade Geo, at the deadline or the draft, and bring in a veteran who is used to the role.

10 hours ago, Phil said:

Gonna say it again: this team needs multiple forwards at the deadline. Upward of three. 2RW and two third line players to allow them to build an actual checking line that won't get caved the way any of the formations they have now do.

Get the AHLers back to the AHL, or onto other NHL rosters as soon as humanly possible. Chytil, Gauthier, Hunt are utterly unreliable players. Brodzinski, Gettinger, and probably Barron are still AHL players.

Lehkonen-Tierney-Goodrow or Lehkonen-Goodrow-Connor Brown would do real fucking wonders to balance shit out once the team gets healthy again.

I'm not opposed to getting someone like Ryan Carpenter for the fourth line, either, though I understand there's probably a breaking point where too many in and out at once can fuck up team chemistry.

10 hours ago, Flynn said:

Phil is right. The lineup tonight has more turds than a colonoscopy center. 

Yeah, we can pound on Georgiev, and for good reason.  We weren't very good at all last night.  But good lord, he got beat like a rented mule on those breakaways...Woof!

We're just gonna keep it real with this one tonight….so the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to The Boss @Phil, with his summation of "what it be!" brutha!!!

• Thanks 1

Drew a Penalty
This post was recognized by Drew a Penalty!

Pete was awarded the badge 'Superstar'

To put this in perspective, here are Igor's results when he didn't turn in a .940 performance.

3/2...5-3 W over STL .906

2/17...3-2 SO L to DET .939

1/28...3-2 L to MIN .912

1/22...7-3 W over ARI .897 (.897 SP% against...The coyotes?)

1/19...6-3 W over TOR .921

1/15...3-2 W over PHI .929 (barely beating Philly?)

12/31...4-3 SO W over Tampa (wracked by COVID, they had Elliott in net)

12/29...4-3 L to FLA .875

11/18...2-1 L to TOR .933

11/16...3-2 W over MTL .939 (Barely beating MTL?)

11/13...5-3 W over CBJ .912

11/8...4-3 W over FLA .933

11/5...6-0 L to CAL .838

11/2...3-2 L to VAN .917

10/25...5-1 L to CAL .865

11/5...3-2 L to DAL .885

bolded the losses, but I also changed some of the wins to blue to draw attention to the S% and the opponent in specific situations. A .930 performance against Philly in a 3-2 win doesn't instill confidence. That's Vezina level-tending to beat one of the worst teams in the NHL, by 1 goal.

This doesn't even take into account the times he put up a +.940 performance and they lost. I've chosen .940 because other Vez candidates are around .930 for the year and Igor is .942, so if he even drops back down to .930 think about what that does to the record...

This is a pattern with no margin for error. Y'all can say Geo sucks and have tantrums about him, and on many nights you may even be right...But they got outshot (again) and they scored 2 goals on a team that just gave up 50 over the last 10 and generally looked disorganized and got outplayed.

This really the case of Geo being a bad backup, but a good team should be able to overcome that. This Rangers team barely wins when they get Vezina-level goaltending...They need the goalie to be +.10 better than every other Vez goalie.

That's a shit ton to ask.

When you sit back and look at underlying numbers and what has been going on from game to game, I'm not sure why people think this team is so good. Fuck the record, we have active discussions about how we need an entire 3rd line, an entire right side, probably a D or 2, and a backup goalie...That's like half the team....But year, they're great. Nothing to see here.

Edited by Pete
  • Applause 2