• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin Feeling Constrained Playing for Gallant?

Phil

2. This is a recording. Something is off with Artemi Panarin, who somehow has gone 13 straight games, since Jan. 27 at Columbus, without scoring a five-on-five goal. He also has one in the past 22 games and two in the past 29. He is scoring 0.5 goals per 60:00, the lowest five-on-five rate of his seven-season career, well below the 0.9 from last season and the 1.2 from 2019-20.

Panarin has looked ordinary too much of the time. Effervescence and explosiveness have been lacking in his game. Precision passes through traffic are not getting through. There are far too many turnovers at the offensive line. He has been hesitant. Allowing for the fact that this sensitive son of Russia may have much on his mind, this has been an ongoing issue for months.

Several sources have suggested that Panarin may feel constrained playing for Gallant, whose system is more structured than that of predecessor David Quinn, with an emphasis on chipping pucks out of the zone on the breakout. Hence, there are fewer home-run passes, fewer odd-man breaks through the neutral zone (unless triggered by Igor Shesterkin) and less open ice on which Panarin can work.

If there is truly an issue here, it must be resolved. The Rangers can bolster their third line, they can add depth on defense, but if Panarin is a pedestrian, the Blueshirts will be going nowhere.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/09/the-adam-fox-dilemma-rangers-coach-gerard-gallant-must-manage/

• Phil changed the title to Panarin Feeling Constrained Playing for Gallant?

He's a different player than the one we saw last year, I think it's hard to argue that. I don't think it's Gallant‘s fault/style and I do think there are a lot of nights where he appears to be going through the motions.  Hopefully he finds another gear here real soon. 

I was just thinking about Panarin's amazing long bomb pass to Zib on Zib's 5th goal against Washington and how you wouldn't see anything like that from him under Gallant.  I do think there is a problem.  But even in the shorter tighter game in traffic, his passes are not getting through anymore.  He's not blowing guys up with his moves.

He’s on pace for 90plus points in an year where we are writing articles like this. Honestly it’s crazy. First Fox now panarin. Guys are not going to light it up every single night or even every single season. The team is winning because they’re playing well and these guys, includig panarin, are not passengers. 

oh and did I mention his home country is in the middle of being devastated by an individual’s war? You try playing hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I remember watching that total snipe of a goal he scored against Ottawa and thought that would really help him in shooting the puck more, but it really hasn't. He certainly hasn't been terrible this year, but if this was the Panarin we've gotten the previous two years, the Rangers would be in first place.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

Yeah sure, Gallant is telling him to never shoot from the slot and look pass first to the level of insanity. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

For sure. And the sad thing is Panarin has as lethal of a shot as anyone in this league.

First off, Panarin has 62 points in 52 games.  That's on pace for what? ....95 points this season?  I'd sign up for that in a second!  He's not scoring!  Gee, I wonder why...

The guy passes up pretty much any and every opportunity to shoot.  When he does shoot, he usually scores!

The whole team is guilty of not shooting enough!  The Rangers are almost dead last in shots on goal this season.

Wanna see a good way to score goals?  Shoot the fucking thing!  LOL

@josh...Hey Josh!  You have to scream "SHOOT IT!!" louder during games so they hear you better!!!  😉

• Like 1

It might also have something to do with the consistent search to find the proper RW for that line.  I wouldn't be happy if I kept doing my thing while the 3rd guy consistently isn't doing what you expect him to do.  Plus how much defensive attention is a guy like Hunt getting?   Maybe it gets better with Kakko?  I just think the line is only 2/3 complete which is definitely hurting Panarin.  Less time and space makes a big difference.  

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Seems like the league knows Panarin is always going to pass first so most of his passes don't get through anymore.  He needs to shoot a little more to keep everyone honest.

He's playing the long con...he almost has them right where he wants them.  Come playoff time, it's hat trick season, baby!