• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Frank Vatrano from FLA for 4th-Round Pick

Phil

Have to agree with @josh.

He scores that even strength only because he doesn't get power play time, he's not exactly what you would call a driver of play. 

He's got a good shot and a willingness to use it, so he might fit in well on that second line. If he's on the third line then it remains to be seen if he was a product of Florida's depth.

If you want to evaluate the trade holistically, it's not a bad trade at all, but if it's the only trade then the Rangers had a terrible deadline. 

3 minutes ago, josh said:

I already said the trade is fine, not sure what a vacuum has to do with anything.

this is another average player added to an average bottom 6. 

Hes Vesey, with a ceiling of Reilly Smith, or at worst… well, what they already have in the bottom 6. 

i think it’s worth a shit with the low cost, but I’m not expecting much. 

I'm bringing up the vacuum be yase you're asking why they didn't get more for him and brought up Zibanejad which is an odd take. On a stacked team Vatrano is out there last night in ot for the gwg 3 v 3.  He's not Vesey. At all. Vesey has no foot speed. Vatrano does. Vesey had never scored 20 goals on a season. Vatrano has and aboutb4 other times paced 20 goals over a full season. Vatrano brings energy. Vesey brings midol. 

But whatever. It's quipping just to argue. 

11 minutes ago, josh said:

I already said the trade is fine, not sure what a vacuum has to do with anything.

this is another average player added to an average bottom 6. 

Hes Vesey, with a ceiling of Reilly Smith, or at worst… well, what they already have in the bottom 6. 

i think it’s worth a shit with the low cost, but I’m not expecting much. 

another average player added to an average bottom 6?  Most certainly is not when he's pushing one of Gettinger/Barron, McKegg, or Brodzinski out of the lineup and back to Hartford.

19 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I'm bringing up the vacuum be yase you're asking why they didn't get more for him and brought up Zibanejad which is an odd take. On a stacked team Vatrano is out there last night in ot for the gwg 3 v 3.  He's not Vesey. At all. Vesey has no foot speed. Vatrano does. Vesey had never scored 20 goals on a season. Vatrano has and aboutb4 other times paced 20 goals over a full season. Vatrano brings energy. Vesey brings midol. 

You forgot to mention that Frankie the Tankie brings a lot more chutzpah to the Rangers.

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Why would a team need retention?  he's an UFA after the season, any team will pay for like 1/4 left of his salary.  

If the Rangers were involved in getting Giroux you'd hear about it, but all you hear is crickets about Giroux, which tells me he doesnt want to come here.....but you hear Giroux to COL, Giroux to FLA.  

Owen Tippett > Chytil 

But yet you'd be ok with "helping the competition in your division" for far longer than what the 4th round pick to Florida and their cap space clearing.  

Again.  No teams have the space. 1/4, 1/8, what ever. That hit is a lot for anyone to take on. 

I'd rather try to win the cup with a stacked roster, than let Florida do the same. 

Not sure the disconnect here. I don't exactly think Florida can even fit him under the cap without a significant move. But helping them do so? If they are rumored to be in on him... I guess, I'm not thrilled,  but it's not a huge deal to me. Sorry if I made it seem like it was. 

Anyway, this dude is more a fit for the top 6 as Hunts replacement, than he is a 3rd liner. It's a solid move. Cost nothing.  

18 minutes ago, Karan said:

You forgot to mention that Frankie the Tankie brings a lot more chutzpah to the Rangers.

Absolutely. Here are a couple of his goal highlights to get an idea of his offensive game. Not a driver of the play as @Pete said but he's nnot exactly along for the ride either.

• The Chyt! 1

2 hours ago, G1000 said:

More to the point, why do we care if we help Florida get Giroux? If we run into them, it'll be in the conference finals, and that means we've made a few moves worth a damn on the fly.

This. I don't give two shits about "helping" them. The Rangers are helping themselves. That's what matters.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. I don't give two shits about "helping" them. The Rangers are helping themselves. That's what matters.

if it wasnt us it was going to be someone else. I'd rather be the one benefiting from the dump rather than idling watching it happen. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

if it wasnt us it was going to be someone else. I'd rather be the one benefiting from the dump rather than idling watching it happen. 

Exactly. I mean, the Panthers could end up losing in the first round. As long as it improves the Rangers roster, I'll take my chances.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly. I mean, the Panthers could end up losing in the first round. As long as it improves the Rangers roster, I'll take my chances.

Along with "they cleared a prorated 2.5 million...not 6M."

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, G1000 said:

More to the point, why do we care if we help Florida get Giroux? If we run into them, it'll be in the conference finals, and that means we've made a few moves worth a damn on the fly.

Because they are probably the favorite to come out of the east? The Rangers aren't a complete package and could get closer to being right up there with Florida as a favorite IF they can add Giroux themselves. 

Road to the cup is going through Florida, one way or another. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Thanks for the scouting report. So he's an energy player that hits and can score 20 goals. Like Blais, except he isn't hurt 3/4 of the time?

4th rounder for a Blais like player.. How did we get Blais again? Oohhh yeah. 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

The numbers look outstanding.  Can anyone describe his game? I know nothing of him.

He’s Jimmy Vesey, essentially

He's not Vesey. At all. Vesey has no foot speed. Vatrano does. Vesey had never scored 20 goals on a season. Vatrano has and aboutb4 other times paced 20 goals over a full season. Vatrano brings energy. Vesey brings midol. 

Twice Vatrano has had over 100 hits in a season. 

Edited by The Dude

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

I mean actually familiar...people "do their own research" on other shit...I hope it ONLY doesn't involve opinions from message boards. 

There are other messages boards ? I argue enough on one. Couldn't imagine doing this in multiple places lol

• LOL 2

51 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Bottom line. The 3rd line just improved. Regardless of where he slots, one of the 💩’s just lost a lineup spot. 

Which one?

Brodzinski has played with purpose and id like to see him stick up here till he isnt making a difference anymore.