• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Andrew Copp From WPG for Morgan Barron and Two 2nd-Round Picks

Phil

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

You guys are underrating Copp. He has paced 58 and 51 points last year and this year, most of which at even strength playing 18-20 minutes a night. He chews up minutes in all situations.

He’s absolutely a potential 2C option if Strome is getting too expensive.

It’s not out of the question. But to me, his true value comes as a 3C.

If you can have him chipping in 15-20 centering a 3rd line and in all situations while your Top 2 centers are Zibanejad and whoever else is on the Panarin line? That’s a super deep lineup.

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

It’s not out of the question. But to me, his true value comes as a 3C.

If you can have him chipping in 15-20 centering a 3rd line and in all situations while your Top 2 centers are Zibanejad and whoever else is on the Panarin line? That’s a super deep lineup.

Agreed but that would take some salary cap gymnastics to retain both; if Copp performs and is cheaper then you have to really think hard.

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Worked well for Strome who perennial had 35 point seasons, sans his first full year, until he found a guy named Artemi.

I’m not sure we can just dismiss it so easily. That’s all.

You know it's not that simple so I'm not going to get into the fact that Strome has pedigree as a #5 overall, etc. Strome had never been a checking line player because he's good defensively, which is why Copp is a checking line center.

It's break even or a downgrade so I'm just not sure why they'd do that.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Okay, I’ll ask: is there more to this trade? I feel like if it’s 2 picks and a prospect, it’s routine to just be announced by now.

Drury doesnt talk. That's why I didnt believe rumors when they say the Rangers are involved. He'll shut guys out for leaking info.

Want to keep quiet in case trade doesnt go through. You might have an upset prospect and/or player

Edited by josh

Who can get sent down without waivers? Schneider? Might send him down if we didn't deal a roster player, which would suck because he deserves to be with the team.

Defensive prospect not named Lundkvist could also be Skinner or Robertson. I highly doubt Hajek is the centerpiece unless we sent high picks. 

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Who can get sent down without waivers? Schneider? Might send him down if we didn't deal a roster player, which would suck because he deserves to be with the team.

Defensive prospect not named Lundkvist could also be Skinner or Robertson. I highly doubt Hajek is the centerpiece unless we sent high picks. 

Lafreniere, Miller, Schneider.

I think even Brodzinski played over the threshold and is subject to waivers.

Just now, Pete said:

You know it's not that simple so I'm not going to get into the fact that Strome has pedigree as a #5 overall, etc. Strome had never been a checking line player because he's good defensively, which is why Copp is a checking line center.

If Copp extension is at 4 and Strome wants 6, that’s why. Especially since Copp does everything that Strome can’t.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I’m not saying it’s an exact seamless switch but I’m not discounting it. We are talking about 

13 goals 22 assists for Copp

14 goals 29 assists for Strome so production wise it’s not a huge difference but we get a two way center instead that can win a faceoff. Production is especially not a big difference to me since Copp doesn’t play with Bread. 

If Strome asks upper 6 and instead you can do 4.5-5.2 for Copp, I might do that since it gives us a bit more flexibility elsewhere. Copp plays very important minutes that could give Ziby a bit of a rest too here and there

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m not saying it’s an exact seamless switch but I’m not discounting it. We are talking about 

13 goals 22 assists for Copp

14 goals 29 assists for Strome so production wise it’s not a huge difference but we get a two way center instead that can win a faceoff. Production is especially not a big difference to me since Copp doesn’t play with Bread. 

If Strome asks upper 6 and instead you can do 4.5-5.2 for Copp, I might do that since it gives us a bit more flexibility elsewhere. Copp plays very important minutes that could give Ziby a bit of a rest too here and there

I think this gets filed under, "Let's hope so". That would make this deal even bigger. Would put pressure on the endboard abuser to take a reasonable team friendly deal.

• Cheers 1