• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Andrew Copp From WPG for Morgan Barron and Two 2nd-Round Picks

Phil

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m not saying it’s an exact seamless switch but I’m not discounting it. We are talking about 

13 goals 22 assists for Copp

14 goals 29 assists for Strome so production wise it’s not a huge difference but we get a two way center instead that can win a faceoff. Production is especially not a big difference to me since Copp doesn’t play with Bread. 

If Strome asks upper 6 and instead you can do 4.5-5.2 for Copp, I might do that since it gives us a bit more flexibility elsewhere. Copp plays very important minutes that could give Ziby a bit of a rest too here and there

We don't know what Strome is asking but I don't see why Copp would sign for 1M to 1.5M more than he makes today as a UFA if he's good enough to be a 2nd line center on a playoff team.

18 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It’s not out of the question. But to me, his true value comes as a 3C.

If you can have him chipping in 15-20 centering a 3rd line and in all situations while your Top 2 centers are Zibanejad and whoever else is on the Panarin line? That’s a super deep lineup.

This

Copp as a 3C is a huge plus.

As a 2C he’s an even player

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

We don't know what Strome is asking but I don't see why Copp would sign for 1M to 1.5M more than he makes today as a UFA if he's good enough to be a 2nd line center on a playoff team.

You don’t think you’re taking both sides here? He’s not a second liner in your eyes but using my thought that he can be as him asking two line money before ever replacing anyone? 

I’m not suggesting replacing Strome this season. There aren’t exactly a fuck ton of good teams with boat loads of cap space this coming offseason. He could look at it exactly along the lines of the Tangers giving him a 2-3 year deal at 27 to let him cash in several years from now with success. None of us know this. 

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

What did they trade for Copp?

Sam Rosen. And the rights to Al Trautwig for cap implications 

Just now, Keirik said:

You don’t think you’re taking both sides here? He’s not a second liner in your eyes but using my thought that he can be as him asking two line money before ever replacing anyone? 

I’m not suggesting replacing Strome this season. There aren’t exactly a fuck ton of good teams with boat loads of cap space this coming offseason. He could look at it exactly along the lines of the Tangers giving him a 2-3 year deal at 27 to let him cash in several years from now with success. None of us know this. 

Sam Rosen. And the rights to Al Trautwig for cap implications 

Does Trautwig have a no booze clause?

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

There would be no reason we’d need Copp on retention since he’s pending UFA and we have $30+ Mil in cap space.

Don’t forget that cap space isn’t so much come next season with all the new contracts kicking in. 

1 minute ago, NYR2711 said:

Don’t forget that cap space isn’t so much come next season with all the new contracts kicking in. 

No, I know. But next year means nothing for Copp right now since he’s not signed for next year. He’s gonna need a new contract. So retaining on this one literally does nothing for the Rangers.

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

How am I taking both sides? I don't think he's a second line player, but if you're him and the Rangers ask you to be a 2nd liner is he going to do it for a 1M raise? I don't think so. Why would he? So is he cheaper than Strome? Doubtful.

Fact is, Ranger fans have always had this "grass is greener" fantasy where we take 3rd liners for other teams and they suddenly become stars for us. It's happened exactly one time in the last 15 or so years and it was with Strome, who everyone is trying to replace LOL.

Like, I was fully on board to replace Strome with Schiefele... But I'm not going to replace Strome with the guy who plays 2 rungs below Schiefele.

• VINNY! 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

You think Copp’s getting over 5M to be a 3C Chytil replacement here? With what cap space? Doesn’t make any sense.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

You think Copp’s getting over 5M to be a 3C Chytil replacement here? With what cap space? Doesn’t make any sense.

He's not getting that from us, because we don't have it to pay him. Unless we move some significant cap, he's walking at the end of the year. If we sign him and let Strome walk, we're worse off than we were before. Now we have a 3rd liner in the 2nd line C spot and are down a 3C with the same or less cap space.

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

He's not getting that from us, because we don't have it to pay him. Unless we move some significant cap, he's walking at the end of the year.

Copp can get 5m to be Strome if he could flourish there.

Who the hell knows how this plays out. We got an awesome 2021/2022 playoff team regardless. Let's handle the now and not next year!

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

He's not getting that from us, because we don't have it to pay him. Unless we move some significant cap, he's walking at the end of the year. If we sign him and let Strome walk, we're worse off than we were before. Now we have a 3rd liner in the 2nd line C spot and are down a 3C with the same or less cap space.

Then he’s a rental. People are saying to extend him. They cannot afford to extend him at that number as a 3C. So either he comes in a lot cheaper than that or he’s a 2C for us. No other option.

• VINNY! 1

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

You can’t pay a 3rd liner anymore than mid-3’s. And that’s the high side.

No way he gets that

50+ point player last two seasons. This isn’t a hohum 3rd liner. He probably doesn’t view himself as such either with that kind of production.

If he comes in at 4M as I suggested, it’s doable. If he comes in over 5M like Pete suggested, it’s not.

To all saying Copp can be a future Strome replacement:

I don’t think looking at the production is enough here to be honest. Strome is having an off year to this point, no one can deny that. I think what the detractors, like myself, here are saying is that Andrew Copp is a fucking fantastic 3rd line player. He is literally a Swiss Army knife who can grind, skate, score, defend, play everywhere at anytime. He’s going to likely have a lot thrown on his shoulders here just as he did in Winnipeg. Moving him up from 3rd line duties to 2nd means taking him a making him an amazing 3rd line player into an okay 2nd line player. We’re gonna need playmakers and scorers to play there with Bread.

Copp lengthens this lineup tremendously. At a young age, he’s probably one of the best 3Cs you can ask for. He fits that role perfectly here and would anywhere. Let him play his role, because that’s where we’ll get the most value out of him. That’s not to say he can’t handle the job; just that I personally view him more as a perfect 3C.

All of that being said, I wouldn’t be 150% floored to see him, at times, get a shift on that Panarin-Strome line for a look or for whatever the situation may dictate.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Thanks 1
  • VINNY! 1