• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Andrew Copp From WPG for Morgan Barron and Two 2nd-Round Picks

Phil

5 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Didnt really address top 6 goal scoring.....I guess we're hoping Kakka comes back and fills that void?  These trades helped by slotting players in their perfect spots in the lineup.  

He didn't need to. Those lines are going to score.

He added goals to the bottom 6, and hopefully dead weight is gone.

• VINNY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 3

Drury did exactly what he needed to do.  The future is obstacle free and he has given this team a chance to make a run.  He gave up next to nothing and added a potential core player if he can get him signed.  Motte is an under the radar addition as well.  The Rangers lineup is so much deeper as of today.  Gallant will have actual line up decisions to make with actual NHL players not dressing when everyone is healthy.  

Just now, Pete said:

To be clear, I don't see Copp being much (if any) of a cost savings over Strome if you're asking both players to be a 2C on this team. I don't think replacing Strome with Copp over $500K or something as being an upgrade. And remind me why Copp signs a 2-3 year deal as a UFA?

I don’t know what Copps mindset is to answer that. Not every ufa signs 6 year deals. 2-3 years at 27 still takes him to another kick at the ufa can while in productive years if he ended up playing with better talent here. We are in a flat cap world. There aren’t going to be lines of teams looking to throw buckets of money at every ufa. 

He’s not going to command top dollar but he is sneaky good. Underrated I believe. Even last year his production wasn’t far off Strome and again, he didn’t play with bread. But he’s not the sexy name. If he goes off here though I m sure that changes. Copp probs ly can be had for 5m or less. Strome I’m hoping is 5.5 making this moot but we shall see. Either way, let’s enjoy this run.

8 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

If he plays well, I’d love to re-sign him. But he’s going to garner $4.5mil+ easy as a UFA. Would need to dump Chytil, Nemeth, and then some

I’d be on board with that. He can be a good value performance guy

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Acquire Andrew Copp From WPG for Morgan Barron and Two 2nd-Round Picks

Believe Copp turned down $4 million from WPG, but that could just be because he didn't want to be there long-term. If it's in that range, I'd give him eight years to get it under $4 million (Goodrow contract), then dump Chytil and Nemeth to make room to address 2C (Strome or whoever).

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 2

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Believe Copp turned down $4 million from WPG, but that could just be because he didn't want to be there long-term. If it's in that range, I'd give him eight years to get it under $4 million (Goodrow contract), then dump Chytil and Nemeth to make room to address 2C (Strome or whoever).

And then Cuylle and Othmann can compete for that wing spot next camp

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I don’t know what Copps mindset is to answer that. Not every ufa signs 6 year deals. 2-3 years at 27 still takes him to another kick at the ufa can while in productive years if he ended up playing with better talent here. We are in a flat cap world. There aren’t going to be lines of teams looking to throw buckets of money at every ufa. 

He’s not going to command top dollar but he is sneaky good. Underrated I believe. Even last year his production wasn’t far off Strome and again, he didn’t play with bread. But he’s not the sexy name. If he goes off here though I m sure that changes. Copp probs ly can be had for 5m or less. Strome I’m hoping is 5.5 making this moot but we shall see. Either way, let’s enjoy this run.

Strome isn't a sexy name LOL. I mean, Copp is making $3.6 so I doubt he takes a $1.4M raise from us when he will undoubtedly have other suitors if people view him as a 2C.

1 hour ago, Morphinity said:

Not at 5-on-5 they're not. But he wasn't going to fix that this deadline given what was available. 

5v5 Zib's line has already shown improvement with Laf there, not enough sample size with Vatrano on the 2nd line. They have options for RW. We'll see how it goes.

I was putzing around to see if we could keep any of these guys. We can't keep Copp AND Vatrano AND Motte. We could keep Copp if we remove Chytil and Nemeth without taking on any additional salary and getting an essentially league-minimum backup goalie. Or we could probably keep Vatrano and Motte if they signed similar deals to what they were already making. 

This is assuming the cap increases by $1mil, and we remove Chytil and Nemeth, we re-sign Blais to an equal cap hit as this year, and Kakko takes a bridge deal. We'd also need a minimum or ELC 3rd pair LHD.

spacer.png

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1

14 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I was putzing around to see if we could keep any of these guys. We can't keep Copp AND Vatrano AND Motte. We could keep Copp if we remove Chytil and Nemeth without taking on any additional salary and getting an essentially league-minimum backup goalie. Or we could probably keep Vatrano and Motte if they signed similar deals to what they were already making. 

This is assuming the cap increases by $1mil, and we remove Chytil and Nemeth, we re-sign Blais to an equal cap hit as this year, and Kakko takes a bridge deal. We'd also need a minimum or ELC 3rd pair LHD.

spacer.png

Would be nice, but this isn’t happening. You don’t have a 7th D. Kappo isn’t signing for what Filip Chytil got (actually less than). You aren’t accounting for a cushion for bonuses and this is already right up against the cap.

17 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Would be nice, but this isn’t happening. You don’t have a 7th D. Kappo isn’t signing for what Filip Chytil got (actually less than). You aren’t accounting for a cushion for bonuses and this is already right up against the cap.

Pretty much this. It's an ideal scenario that most likely can't happen. I think there's more likelihood of keeping Vatrano and Motte for ~$3.5-$3.75mil combined, and again having to figure out a stopgap at 3C. 

3 hours ago, Morphinity said:

Not at 5-on-5 they're not. But he wasn't going to fix that this deadline given what was available. 

Exactly.

If that fails us, we upgrade in the summer. But, we have a lot of money and draft capital invested in that Top-6. Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Strome, Lafreniere and Kakko represent two wins in a draft lottery and over $30 Million in cap space. If we fail because of that, our top guys, then we didn’t deserve it anyway.

But I have confidence in them. Everyone wants more. And do I think they can use one more big piece there to really push them over the ledge? Sure. But, let’s roll. I think our top players, at their peak (which any contending team needs their top players at come playoff time) can go toe-to-toe with a lot of teams top players. The depth was more of a question mark. And our depth is 200% better right now than it was at 2pm this afternoon. So again, let’s get it going.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Any trade protection if he has a pudding head? He supposedly suffered a concussion a week or so, but then magically didn't.. 

I brought up Ryan Clowe at the time. Guy came in and was bad ass. Then got another concussion, a week later and was out for the season. Signed with the Devils and was never the same. Retired shortly after. 

We’d heard about the Rangers for a couple months, that they were one of the teams interested. And Jacob’s been in Andrew’s ear for a while now talking about how the Rangers play and what it’s like to be there.

Andrew comes to a Ranger team where his oldest friend was nearly named captain before the season and basically acts as the de facto leader of the Rangers. He’s not surprised.

The Rangers have very little cap space to work with going into next season and also very little forward depth. The younger Copp seems to be exactly the type of player to add to their core and he had two assists in his Rangers debut, which was an otherwise ugly 7-4 loss to the Devils on Tuesday.

“Just watching the Rangers, Andrew fits like a glove to what they need,” Andy said. “Tyler Motte, another Michigan player who I scouted for the development program, he fits them so well too. Personally, it’s so exciting to see them all together. But just thinking about what Andrew will be looking for in a new team, that’s exciting too that he’ll get a taste of what life is like there. Jacob’s been telling him about it for a while now.

https://theathletic.com/3204597/2022/03/23/its-like-im-following-him-around-connections-run-deep-for-andrew-copp-and-jacob-trouba-now-reunited-with-the-rangers/

--

Yeah, they're keeping him.

• Cheers 3