• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Andrew Copp From WPG for Morgan Barron and Two 2nd-Round Picks

Phil

2 hours ago, Phil said:

30 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Copp replaces Strome. Trouba gets the C now?

What’s the article say? I’m not a subscriber to The Athletic. 

Is it that much of a certainty after 1 game and his connection with Trouba?

54 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Scheifele only carries a cap hit of $6.125 per.

For next 2 seasons. Then what do you do?

Point being whomever the 2nd line center is, they need to be in the $6M range and the third line center needs to be around $3M. If Copp is the 2C we're no better off than we are now with Chytil at 3C.

Strome vs Copp is a lateral move on paper. Comes down to money and if everyone is saying Copp is equal to Strome I can't see why Copp would take less money than Strome to do the same job. 

Unless Rangers just don't want Strome anymore. Good luck with Panarin. 

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Conspiracy post warning. 

By these quotes, it makes you wonder if the locker room approves. Trouba has been talking to Copp and talking about how it is here. Strome is looking for an extension. Copp is brought in. Vatrano is brought in. Motte is slightly connected to Copp and Trouba.

Kinda like Trouba is pushing Strome out the door and maybe has a bit too much of Drurys ear..

Maybe it's a little weird how these guys all have some kind of a past together? Am I looking into this way too much? 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Point being whomever the 2nd line center is, they need to be in the $6M range and the third line center needs to be around $3M. If Copp is the 2C we're no better off than we are now with Chytil at 3C.

Strome vs Copp is a lateral move on paper. Comes down to money and if everyone is saying Copp is equal to Strome I can't see why Copp would take less money than Strome to do the same job. 

Panarin will be just fine without Strome. He’ll miss his buddy but move on. He’s a pro hockey player.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Conspiracy post warning. 

By these quotes, it makes you wonder if the locker room approves. Trouba has been talking to Copp and talking about how it is here. Strome is looking for an extension. Copp is brought in. Vatrano is brought in. Motte is slightly connected to Copp and Trouba.

Kinda like Trouba is pushing Strome out the door and maybe has a bit too much of Drurys ear..

Maybe it's a little weird how these guys all have some kind of a past together? Am I looking into this way too much? 

I think that’s a reasonable guess. I would guess it’s probably more like Gallant respects Trouba a great deal and he’s a leader on the team. Trouba suggests some guys he thinks are good players, good guys in the locker room from his past. Gallant relays potential names to Drury. Then they scout and approve/disapprove, etc. It helps also when Trouba’s former team was lining up as a seller…

20 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Panarin will be just fine without Strome. He’ll miss his buddy but move on. He’s a pro hockey player.

Of course. But if it's a choice between you being happy and Panarin, I'd make Panarin happy LOL. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

That’s my feeling too Strome vs Copp

And at least with Strome, no knock on Copp, you have a guy who is completely proven, particularly with Panarin, on your roster and in your locker room.

But listen… you can’t deny Scheifele is a better player than Strome. And by a fair margin too. 

I might take the next 2 years of Scheifele over the next 5 years of Strome, and then look again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s my feeling too Strome vs Copp

And at least with Strome, no knock on Copp, you have a guy who is completely proven, particularly with Panarin, on your roster and in your locker room.

But listen… you can’t deny Scheifele is a better player than Strome. And by a fair margin too. 

I might take the next 2 years of Scheifele over the next 5 years of Strome, and then look again. 

I would absolutely take Scheifele x 2 and then reassess. A huge chunk of the team's best players already are or will be in their thirties by then. Strike while the iron is hot.

I'm not worried about three years from now. I'm worried about now.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

I would absolutely take Scheifele x 2 and then reassess. A huge chunk of the team's best players already are or will be in their thirties by then. Strike while the iron is hot.

I'm not worried about three years from now. I'm worried about now.

They can't afford him now!

Raise your hand if you were absent the day they taught Math in Math class...

GIF by Achievement Hunter

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's what retention is for. He has just two years left. The Rangers have a ton of assets. Pay Winnipeg to eat on his deal and get him to a more manageable number.

Just now, Phil said:

That's what retention is for. He has just two years left. The Rangers have a ton of assets. Pay Winnipeg to eat on his deal and get him to a more manageable number.

It's as simple as ⬇️

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

I mean, it's not that unreasonable. If Scheifele at full freight costs X, send them X + Y and get his cap hit as close to $5 million as possible. It's for two seasons, not ten. Retaining around $1.25 million per season isn't going to cost them anything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Why not?

Youre paying Strome 4.5 vs the cap.

Scheifele makes 6.125 vs the cap.

They are going to have to pay Strome north of 5 to keep him.

They can’t find less than 1 million?

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

6 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Why not?

Youre paying Strome 4.5 vs the cap.

Scheifele makes 6.125 vs the cap.

They are going to have to pay Strome north of 5 to keep him.

They can’t find less than 1 million?

Right. I would figure Strome is ~5.5 per and that's on a team friendly deal. On the open market he can probably fetch 6 to maybe even 6.5 if he finds a team desperate enough or with gobs of cap space to burn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Conspiracy post warning. 

I think you are yeah. It’s just more along the lines of the guys they brought in reflect Drurys lunch pail American NCAA/US development style. 

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, it's not that unreasonable. If Scheifele at full freight costs X, send them X + Y and get his cap hit as close to $5 million as possible. It's for two seasons, not ten. Retaining around $1.25 million per season isn't going to cost them anything.

Well I think that if Winnipeg is willing to move Scheifele, it’s due to them thinking it’s time to push the reset button.

So I don’t think you’re sending money for money there. Winnipeg is making a futures deal. Picks, prospects, young roster player(s), in exchange for the last 2 years of Scheifele. Maybe you duke them a little extra and they retain a piece of his salary. 

They can afford Scheifele at full freight if needed though. Strome is, as said, getting $5 million+. They can find the money in house

And I’m not saying they’re doing this. Just saying it’s:

A) A doable thing

and

B) He’s a better player over the next 2 years than Strome or Copp… or for that matter, any other center they might bring in.

Scheifele is a 1C. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1