• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Andrew Copp From WPG for Morgan Barron and Two 2nd-Round Picks

Phil

28 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

If Geo goes unqualified and walks, he goes. That’s it. Free and clear. You can take his $2.425 off the books now. He’s gone.

Yeah. I get what you’re saying on Fox. And maybe they could’ve gone for less in both term and money. But I think they didn’t want to even risk any kind of contention with their 23 year old, franchise D who just won the Norris in his 2nd season.

And also, I think there was maybe some belief in the organization that his deal might actually be a bargain in a few years.

They give him say, 4x7, then in 3 years you’ve gotta duke him above 9.5 abd do it for 7-8 years then. I think maybe they saw that and got spooked.

But I agree that they have a habit of giving away leverage. Totally.

All the fucking time. Like there’s no cap or implications resulting from it.

So i just want to make sure we are on the same page. All RFAs right now still show up as on our cap until they are either not offered a contract or qualified if rfa with arb rights?

We have

Gauthier at 775k rfa arb

Hajek  at 874k rfa arb

geo at 2.425m rfa arb

blais at 1.5m rfa arb

kakko at 925k no arb

which is 6.5m. Cap friendly shows we have 10m cap space next offseason. Puckpedia shows 12.5 cap space but I think they don’t count performance bonuses we might have had rolling over until next year.  Forget the new guys because their cap hit is prorated so they really aren’t “coming off the books” but we lose Rooney, Strome, and mckegg which equals to 6m (4.5m+ 750k + 750k)

those rfas all + ufas = 12.5m which is what puckpedia says we have this coming offseason. It sounds like you are saying we save more money than that by not qualifying guys but I was under the impression our 10-12m cap space this coming offseason is with already not bringing back any rfa. 

28 minutes ago, Keirik said:

So i just want to make sure we are on the same page. All RFAs right now still show up as on our cap until they are either not offered a contract or qualified if rfa with arb rights?

We have

Gauthier at 775k rfa arb

Hajek  at 874k rfa arb

geo at 2.425m rfa arb

blais at 1.5m rfa arb

kakko at 925k no arb

which is 6.5m. Cap friendly shows we have 10m cap space next offseason. Puckpedia shows 12.5 cap space but I think they don’t count performance bonuses we might have had rolling over until next year.  Forget the new guys because their cap hit is prorated so they really aren’t “coming off the books” but we lose Rooney, Strome, and mckegg which equals to 6m (4.5m+ 750k + 750k)

those rfas all + ufas = 12.5m which is what puckpedia says we have this coming offseason. It sounds like you are saying we save more money than that by not qualifying guys but I was under the impression our 10-12m cap space this coming offseason is with already not bringing back any rfa. 

Yes. And It’s gonna be in that ballpark. But I couldn’t say exactly how I either Capfriendly or Puckpedia arrives at that number. 

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yes. And It’s gonna be in that ballpark. But I couldn’t say exactly how I either Capfriendly or Puckpedia arrives at that number. 

Alright, so then not qualifying them doesn’t mean anything. The cap space for next year is calculated with all of them gone as it is. That’s what I thought. I must have read your original message wrong because I thought you were trying to say there’s a savings on top of what’s already calculated to be there if they say bye to those guys.

38 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Alright, so then not qualifying them doesn’t mean anything. The cap space for next year is calculated with all of them gone as it is. That’s what I thought. I must have read your original message wrong because I thought you were trying to say there’s a savings on top of what’s already calculated to be there if they say bye to those guys.

No

Whatever their posted number is on either site, it’s whatever it says there based on how they do those calculations.

Theyll have in the 10-12 or 13 million range. 

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

No

Whatever their posted number is on either site, it’s whatever it says there based on how they do those calculations.

Theyll have in the 10-12 or 13 million range. 

Yeah that I know. Like i said, I read your message wrong then.

I'm pretty good cap wise knowledge except the performance bonuses since we can't know what they actually are. 

30 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah that I know. Like i said, I read your message wrong then.

I'm pretty good cap wise knowledge except the performance bonuses since we can't know what they actually are. 

Capfriendly I don’t believe has accounted for the recently announced $1 million bump in the cap. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Moving Chytil and Nemeth, and replacing with ELCs, isn’t enough cap freed up to get Strome and Copp both signed (using 5.5 and 4.5 aavs respectively, and those numbers might be hopeful on my part).

More needs to be trimmed (i.e., Blais goes, Motte not re-signed) and replaced with ELC or less. ELC or less backup G, 3LD, 7D, 12F, 13F. And you’re barely able to get cap compliant. Or…instead of gutting your team and depth, you trade a Kakko instead of having to give him $2.5-3M or whatever it might cost. Kakko’s value was derived from being on an ELC. That will no longer be the case. He’s not a value contract anymore. He will be overpaid as soon as the ink dries on a bridge contract that will almost certainly be higher than his production commands purely because of his draft position.

Hate to say it, but you are likely right. Kakko is getting bridged. And he’s going to get more than he’s worth it has earned based on him going #2 OVA. 

14 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Moving Chytil and Nemeth, and replacing with ELCs, isn’t enough cap freed up to get Strome and Copp both signed (using 5.5 and 4.5 aavs respectively, and those numbers might be hopeful on my part).

More needs to be trimmed (i.e., Blais goes, Motte not re-signed) and replaced with ELC or less. ELC or less backup G, 3LD, 7D, 12F, 13F. And you’re barely able to get cap compliant. Or…instead of gutting your team and depth, you trade a Kakko instead of having to give him $2.5-3M or whatever it might cost. Kakko’s value was derived from being on an ELC. That will no longer be the case. He’s not a value contract anymore. He will be overpaid as soon as the ink dries on a bridge contract that will almost certainly be higher than his production commands purely because of his draft position.

The problem is, while you're not wrong, the alternatives are likely even more expensive unless you think you can find your own Brandon Hagel or Michael Bunting this summer (or in the trade). It's possible, certainly, but unlikely. For every Pouliot or Stralman they find and rehab to a great degree there are dozens of Ryan Malone's they don't.

I don't even like Kakko, but I'm not sure they have any choice here but to keep him and Lafrenière and just hope that continuing to give them top-six opportunities will eventually bear fruit.

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Everything we do in terms of contracts must be done with the fact that Miller and LaF are coming off entry levels at the end of next season.  What if LaF actually breaks out to some degree?

I gotta tell you, I think that’s actually coming at some point next season. 

37 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I gotta tell you, I think that’s actually coming at some point next season. 

Definitely looks that way. Trending up in a good way. Gotta keep giving the kid looks in the top 6. It is going to come together.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Definitely looks that way. Trending up in a good way. Gotta keep giving the kid looks in the top 6. It is going to come together.

That’s my feeling at this point too. I’m all for guts earning spots and I’ve time… but if you look at the organizational mentality, they don’t want to send guys down to play more, yet you wanna stick these kids on the bottom-6 and limit the minutes and play them with players of low skill, then everyone needs to temper the expectations. 

Oftentimes, if you want more out of guys, you need to provide the circumstances for that, meaning more minutes and playing time with your top players. 

If they didn’t make what was perceived and treated as a big leap forward in the 19-20 season, I feel like that’s what would have happened. I feel like guys such as Kakko, Chytil, and to a lesser extent, LaFreniere, would’ve had that opportunity. 
But that season changed, elevated, and accelerated the expectations, so it just didn’t shake out that way. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah, it’s just about getting it out there so we k ow what we achieved.

tampa!!!!we survived a Hurricane that barely blew. I I,agile this lightning is more like incorrectly touching a spark plug. We got this! 

• Believe 1

4 minutes ago, Arty said:

We might regret losing Barron

i didn’t realize how big he was

wish we brought him up earlier

Begged for it all season and then he was gone....... def a guy I wanted to see up here.

*knocks on wood* but if the unspoken shall happen, I won't give a rats behind who left at the deadline.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1