• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ducks' Trade for Dadonov Reversed Due to No-Trade Issue

Phil

7 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

They can still trade him, he just can't play in the Playoffs anymore for any other team than the Knights.

He can't play at all.

It was clarified in another thread that the rule about only being able to complete the regular season and not being playoff eligible only applied to UFA signings post deadline. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

He can't play at all.

It was clarified in another thread that the rule about only being able to complete the regular season and not being playoff eligible only applied to UFA signings post deadline. 

I keep reading both versions, it's confusing tbh., but in the end it's their problem, so whatever is fine by me.

• VINNY! 1

• Phil changed the title to Ducks' Trade for Dadonov Reversed Due to No-Trade Issue
11 hours ago, The Dude said:

So are they stuck having to waive a good player now to get under the cap? This is bizarre.  

Or keep Stone and Martinez out on LTI list. Then become an issue as to whether they are in fact healthy. Based on media reports looks like the NHL is going over their cap every game to see that it's legal. They have no money to bring those guys back even prorated for a few games at the end of the season unless they start waiving some big salaries. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Based on media reports looks like the NHL is going over their cap every game to see that it's legal

I'm not even sure what this means. What media outlet reported this?

The NHL has a record of every transaction so what does it mean that the NHL is going to "go over Vegas cap every game"?

Teams don't make transactions daily. The roster is the roster. Are they going to check if Mark Stone is wearing Dadonov's jersey?

I just don't understand that. 

• LOL 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm not even sure what this means. What media outlet reported this?

The NHL has a record of every transaction so what does it mean that the NHL is going to "go over Vegas cap every game"?

Teams don't make transactions daily. The roster is the roster. Are they going to check if Mark Stone is wearing Dadonov's jersey?

I just don't understand that. 

https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/vegas-with-an-edge/vgk-trade-evgenii-dadonov-or-did-they/

https://www.facebook.com/wheelhousehockey/photos/a.1272432122812814/5287782201277766/

Here ya go; recall on several occasions NYR have nominally sent players with options to Hartford to make some cap room. Suspect every team does it from time to time. This is the same thing but with no room to really do it unless they start waiving players. 

Edited by Bugg
  • LMFAO 1

According to sources, the Golden Knights’ assertion is that the Senators, on the trade call last July that originally sent Dadonov to Vegas, told the league and the Golden Knights that the player had not submitted his trade list for the 2021-22 season which made his list void for the season.

That actually happens more often than people realize.

But that was not the case here. There’s documentation proving that Dadonov’s representation did file the no-trade list of teams before the July 1 deadline.

As for whether the Senators mistakenly informed the Golden Knights and the league that the no-trade list wasn’t submitted in time, the Senators said they had no comment. A league source also declined comment on that.

I was pretty surprised to learn that neither the league nor the NHLPA officially keeps track of no-trade lists — that is a matter only between player agents and clubs.

And I think one of the reasons for that is that players and agents don’t want the content of the no-trade lists ever to leak out publicly, that it remains a secret which teams players don’t want to get traded to. So that information has been kept in a very small circle.

I get that, but in the aftermath of this brouhaha, I would think having a centralized database of the no-trade lists, and when they were submitted, would be a logical, positive step.

https://theathletic.com/3206099/2022/03/23/lebrun-inside-the-evgenii-dadonov-trade-reversal-and-what-we-learned-about-no-trade-lists/

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/vegas-with-an-edge/vgk-trade-evgenii-dadonov-or-did-they/

https://www.facebook.com/wheelhousehockey/photos/a.1272432122812814/5287782201277766/

Here ya go; recall on several occasions NYR have nominally sent players with options to Hartford to make some cap room. Suspect every team does it from time to time. This is the same thing but with no room to really do it unless they start waiving players. 

That's such an odd way to phrase that, as you'd think they do this for every team that's close to the cap....Just a weird way to say that. Thanks for posting.

A couple of points....

1. Anaheim should get some compensation for VGK screwing the pooch.

2. Why would Anaheim be on a no trade list when you play in Vegas?

3. How does a Front Office not have the info about the no trade list other than "BUT HE SAID......"?

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

A couple of points....

1. Anaheim should get some compensation for VGK screwing the pooch.

No, they shouldn't. This doesn't negatively affect them.

2. Why would Anaheim be on a no trade list when you play in Vegas?

Taxes.

3. How does a Front Office not have the info about the no trade list other than "BUT HE SAID......"?

From the Athletic article I linked above:

"I was pretty surprised to learn that neither the league nor the NHLPA officially keeps track of no-trade lists — that is a matter only between player agents and clubs."

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, it does. Not materially, but when 2 team wants to make a deal an one screws the pooch it's a kind of "breach of contract" where Anaheim held up their end and Vegas didn't. We have to think about precedent here.

• VINNY! 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Taxes.

"I was pretty surprised to learn that neither the league nor the NHLPA officially keeps track of no-trade lists — that is a matter only between player agents and clubs."

I'll go with Pete on the breach of contract to the first point.

2. Taxes are a good reason. I never seem to take that into consideration.

3. I meant the Vegas front office. How did they not know he submitted the list? I feel like a control is missing there.

On Vegas front office not knowing from the same link above:

"According to sources, the Golden Knights’ assertion is that the Senators, on the trade call last July that originally sent Dadonov to Vegas, told the league and the Golden Knights that the player had not submitted his trade list for the 2021-22 season which made his list void for the season.

That actually happens more often than people realize."

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

On Vegas front office not knowing from the same link above:

"According to sources, the Golden Knights’ assertion is that the Senators, on the trade call last July that originally sent Dadonov to Vegas, told the league and the Golden Knights that the player had not submitted his trade list for the 2021-22 season which made his list void for the season.

That actually happens more often than people realize."

Yea, I read that and understand that was the relayed message; I just find it hard to believe no further follow up was done with the player to confirm this. I feel like that is real sloppy due diligence on VGK's part. It isnt filed with the league so it wouldn't matter what they tell them anyway.

Dadonov probably has a new agent who is just getting started. His email to Ottawa probably came through like:

SUBJECT:

****EXCLUSIVE DADONOV CONTENT*** DeTaILs InsIDe***

Straight into the trash bin......

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Taxes.

For most players, NTL is all of Canada, Arizona and Columbus. 

• LOL 1

Just now, Bugg said:

For most players, NTL is all of Canada, Arizona and Columbus. 

I would imagine it's all of Canada and California these days. Again, taxes. The league is heavily populated with financial conservatives. They're going to want every dollar they can get.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I would imagine it's all of Canada and California these days. Again, taxes. The league is heavily populated with financial conservatives. They're going to want every dollar they can get.

Is CA that much worse than NY , NJ, MA?