• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#64) Rangers @ New Jersey Devils — New Players, Same Me

this makes my privates hurt..

Chytil has shown ZERO feel for the center position. He is moderately more comfortable at the wing.. I just don't get it.. Wanting something to work despite a metric shitton of evidence showing it doesn't work, and continuing to force it is absolutely maddening. 

• LMFAO 1

15 minutes ago, Flynn said:

this makes my privates hurt..

Chytil has shown ZERO feel for the center position. He is moderately more comfortable at the wing.. I just don't get it.. Wanting something to work despite a metric shitton of evidence showing it doesn't work, and continuing to force it is absolutely maddening. 

None of this is accurate. Especially about being more comfortable at the wing.

I'm pretty certain that most of this is experimentation for Gallant.  It's like a 10 year old having a shit load of new toys.  Play them and see who fits with whom, and then we can boil it down to who's gonna play and who's gonna sit.

I sure as hell don't think Schneider is in the dog house by any means.  He's played a bunch, and also the Rangers have another 4 games in 6 nights on tap.  All these guys are gonna play a lot.

No better time to start getting them all in the fold...even the 6' 3" Chytil.

13 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I would’ve found some way to include Chytil in the Copp trade.  Makes no sense to keep him here any longer.   

It makes a lot of sense to me. We are no longer pressured to meet whatever demands Strome might have, and he’s not a guy the Rangers should overpay or even pay what the market might pay him. If he leaves you can re-sign Copp and go Copp/Chytil 2/3. Copp provides pressure/leverage against Strome to potentially reduce his ask if Drury prefers to re-sign him. If Drury somehow magics his way into cap space to sign both Strome and Copp, then you trade Chytil. But that’s not plausible without a significant trade to free up cap, or incredibly team friendly deals from both players (very unlikely).

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Counting on Chytil as your 3C for next season leaves you with the same problem as this season.

I'm still in belief that whatever Strome wants to stay here is going to be less than what an equivalent 2C will cost.

I guess only time will tell though.

Yes, because you understand how free agency works.

Asking a guy with similar stats to Strome to play Strome's old position for over $1.5M less than you wanted to pay Strome is a pipe dream.

Making the guy who was your solid 3C into your 2C and then putting a crappy 3C back there does nothing to improve your team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Chytil has the perfect face for radio 

Especially when drooling on his mouthpiece.  I fully expect to see him as 3C tonight.  Perhaps Goodrow and Copp will open up some space and chances for him.  Hope seems to spring eternal at the end of Chytil Year 4.

I'd start Geo tonight.  Strike when the iron's hot.

Edited by Sod16

1 minute ago, Sod16 said:

Especially when drooling on his mouthpiece.  I fully expect to see him as 3C tonight.  Perhaps Goodrow and Copp will open up some space and chances for him.  Hope seems to spring eternal at the end of Chytil Year 4.

I'd start Geo tonight.  Strike when the iron's hot.

I don't see any way you trade for Copp and not out him exactly where he fits perfectly right now. Gallant is too good of a coach to not. 

50 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Counting on Chytil as your 3C for next season leaves you with the same problem as this season.

I'm still in belief that whatever Strome wants to stay here is going to be less than what an equivalent 2C will cost.

I guess only time will tell though.

The same problem of challenging for 1st in the Metro, 4th in the league, and acquiring a 3C at the deadline if needed? That’s really not a bad spot. It would be nice to have it solved long term, but the money is tied up at the wings.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

The same problem of challenging for 1st in the Metro, 4th in the league, and acquiring a 3C at the deadline if needed? That’s really not a bad spot. It would be nice to have it solved long term, but the money is tied up at the wings.

So you'll trade Barron and two  #2 picks just to have the same problem again next year?

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

So you'll trade Barron and two  #2 picks just to have the same problem again next year?

If it makes the most sense to do so, yes. Top teams are trading their 1sts annually. But I don’t think we will have clarity until we see how Strome/Chytil/Copp perform down the stretch, what rumored cap hits are on new contracts, etc. I just don’t see why we would want to unnecessarily eliminate options before we have to (i.e., dump Chytil with no realistic cap-compliant plan in place)…other than to feed the board’s narrative that Chytil is a bad player.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

It makes a lot of sense to me. We are no longer pressured to meet whatever demands Strome might have, and he’s not a guy the Rangers should overpay or even pay what the market might pay him. If he leaves you can re-sign Copp and go Copp/Chytil 2/3. Copp provides pressure/leverage against Strome to potentially reduce his ask if Drury prefers to re-sign him. If Drury somehow magics his way into cap space to sign both Strome and Copp, then you trade Chytil. But that’s not plausible without a significant trade to free up cap, or incredibly team friendly deals from both players (very unlikely).

Not because of Chytil. Because of Copp. Chytil is still largely irrelevant to the big picture.

Finding a good third-line center isn't very difficult. The market will probably be teeming with them. I'd rather sign Chris Tierney in UFA than keep Chytil and keep forcing him in based on draft pedigree, because his play is certainly not warranting much confidence despite the very recent improvements. Granted, that's reason to suggest his cap hit won't be problematic, but he's still not an inspiring figure in any way.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not because of Chytil. Because of Copp. Chytil is still largely irrelevant to the big picture.

Finding a good third-line center isn't very difficult. The market will probably be teeming with them. I'd rather sign Chris Tierney in UFA than keep Chytil and keep forcing him in based on draft pedigree, because his play is certainly not warranting much confidence despite the very recent improvements. Granted, that's reason to suggest his cap hit won't be problematic, but he's still not an inspiring figure in any way.

Partially agreed on first part. Largely it’s Copp, yeah, but I would point to Chytil’s known cap hit at 3C allows them $ flexibility at 2C. They don’t have to say “we only have so much for 2C because we need to go spend 3.5-4 for a 3C too”.

We will probably diverge on who is a better option. Tierney probably isn’t getting me to move off Chytil’s potential. Disclaimer: opinion is subject to change if Chytil reverts to blowing chunks rest of season.

Some fun questions:

What if Chytil paces 50 points rest of season?

What if Strome continues the meh play rest of season and disappears in the playoffs?

What if Copp paces 30 points in Gallant’s system?

There’s just too much that can happen here that changes the equation come summer time.

7 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Partially agreed on first part. Largely it’s Copp, yeah, but I would point to Chytil’s known cap hit at 3C allows them $ flexibility at 2C. They don’t have to say “we only have so much for 2C because we need to go spend 3.5-4 for a 3C too”.

We will probably diverge on who is a better option. Tierney probably isn’t getting me to move off Chytil’s potential. Disclaimer: opinion is subject to change if Chytil reverts to blowing chunks rest of season.

Some fun questions:

What if Chytil paces 50 points rest of season?

What if Strome continues the meh play rest of season and disappears in the playoffs?

What if Copp paces 30 points in Gallant’s system?

There’s just too much that can happen here that changes the equation come summer time.

Sure, the variables can all change, but the way I see it right now, I think it's more likely than not they keep Copp, let Strome walk, and then Chytil becomes a shit or get off the pot situation, because he has one year left before he's due his third contract, and the number is only going to go up from there. His base salary in his final year is $2.6 million, so you gotta figure he's looking at $3.5-5 million on an AAV long-term regardless.

That's why I just don't see the point. I'd rather give Copp some variation of the Goodrow contract (maybe $4.5 million per?) than pay Chytil based on "potential" when he's going to have played well over 200 games by that point. If you ride this out to next year's deadline, in fact, he'll be approaching 300 games. I don't much care that he's "only" 22 or 23 by then. You should have a very good idea on who he is as a player by that point. He'll have played in the better part of five full NHL seasons. That's not "potential" anymore. It's actuality.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sure, the variables can all change, but the way I see it right now, I think it's more likely than not they keep Copp, let Strome walk, and then Chytil becomes a shit or get off the pot situation, because he has one year left before he's due his third contract, and the number is only going to go up from there. His base salary in his final year is $2.6 million, so you gotta figure he's looking at $3.5-5 million on an AAV long-term regardless.

That's why I just don't see the point. I'd rather give Copp some variation of the Goodrow contract (maybe $4.5 million per?) than pay Chytil based on "potential" when he's going to have played well over 200 games by that point. If you ride this out to next year's deadline, in fact, he'll be approaching 300 games. I don't much care that he's "only" 22 or 23 by then. You should have a very good idea on who he is as a player by that point. He'll have played in the better part of five full NHL seasons. That's not "potential" anymore. It's actuality.

I think I agree with all of that right this instant. I just like to keep the options open, and one of those is based on Chytil really showing some worth down the stretch and in the playoffs. I think his strengths are built for playoff hockey.