• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Strome Out With Undisclosed Lower-Body Injury

Phil

Forward Ryan Strome sustained an undisclosed lower-body injury in the first period of the Rangers’ 5-4 overtime win over the Sabres on Sunday.

After logging roughly 5 ½ minutes over six shifts in just the opening frame, the Rangers second-line center did not return from the locker room following the first intermission. It is unclear when Strome sustained his injury or how.

“I don’t see anything serious,” head coach Gerard Gallant said after the game.

Strome, who has 15 goals and 30 assists, has only missed four games so far this season, when he was in COVID-19 protocol back in October.

Barclay Goodrow primarily filled in for Strome on the second line alongside Artemi Panarin and trade-deadline acquisition Andrew Copp. That new-look second unit logged 6:31 together, according to Natural Stat Trick, recording one goal and two high-danger scoring chances.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/27/ryan-strome-exits-rangers-win-with-lower-body-injury/

42 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Center depth continues to haunt us.....Whether GG likes it or not, Copp is the best candidate for that 2c spot. I'd be pumping Barrons tires but....he gone.

Barron stinks. And frankly this is a great opportunity for the Rangers to see if they want to resign Copp at 5 x 5 instead of Strome at 6.5 x 6. 

they've got 16 games to figure out if Copp is a 2nd line center.

25 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Barron stinks. And frankly this is a great opportunity for the Rangers to see if they want to resign Copp at 5 x 5 instead of Strome at 6.5 x 6. 

32 games if you count the 16 straight playoff wins.

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

45 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Normally I'd agree, but GG really seemed to pour cold water on the first impression:

“I’m still looking for [more information],” Gallant said when asked if he views Copp as a center or a wing. “When Strome went down I said, ‘OK, we’ll put Copper in the middle,’ but it didn’t go too well for our team so I put Goodie in there to try and get it going again. 

“I would liked to have left Copper in the middle — he’s good on faceoffs, but the line just wasn’t jumping. He’s on the right side and we know he can move to center if needed.”

https://nypost.com/2022/03/27/rangers-on-the-clock-to-find-ideal-lineup-with-new-additions/

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Because he's a very good 3rd line center, not a 2nd liner with enough skill to work with an elite playmaking wing. Kinda proves that Strome makes that line gel, and you can't just throw any old middle-6 center and it'll be magic.

I mean, how many shifts did he have at center? 5? Doesn't really prove anything. I'm surprised Gallant didn't let it play out longer.

• VINNY! 1

6 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

I mean, how many shifts did he have at center? 5? Doesn't really prove anything. I'm surprised Gallant didn't let it play out longer.

Exactly. I’m a bit surprised too but I guess right now wins count most. Head scratcher part of that though is the GG started Geo.

12 minutes ago, josh said:

Kakko's day-to-day injury is now over 2 months and 1 surgery.

I'm wondering if that injury was lingering for a little bit before he went out of the lineup, Josh.  He kinda just disappeared without any real sign that he got hurt in a game.  I don't remember seeing him down on the ice, or a shot of him in pain on the bench.