• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

In Division Playoffs

ausman

What do you folks think about this.  I get that the league (and tv) want rivalries.  But to me, after playing the same in division teams all season, would it not be better to do crossovers with the other division in the conference?  A1 vs. B4, B1 vs. A4 (best A plays 2nd wild card), B2 vs. A3, A2 vs. B3.  The 82 game regular season should mean more than just an in division playoff position.  Anyway, what say you?

If I were Comish my first acts would be:

1. Scrap the current playoff format, go back to 1 v. 8 etc. I'd even settle for a static bracket without reseeding..  
  2. Rename the divisions and conferences.. I want to be back in the Prince of Whales and the Patrick Division.
  3. I would falsely accuse Alec Martinez and Adam Henrique of crimes and ban them from the league. 
  4. Change game play and points. No more shootouts. No more loser points. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. make winning valuable, make a tie a tie, stop rewarding losses. 

• LOL 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

38 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'd prefer it went back to conference 1-8 and reseed.  If not that then get rid of the wild card and just do divisional 1-4.

This. Shy of 1-16, which I don't ever expect them to adopt, 1-8 with re-seeding is the best format. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than guaranteeing that two of the Conference's best teams are out in round one.

• Like 2

I say go back to 1-16. It was done before many times. Who cares about travel? They are pros at this by now. To me, it’s the fairest way by far. No way we all in the east should be punished to play better teams just because they are closer. 

tou wanna know what’s best to grow a sport? A final of serious rivalries. Every other sport does this except us (not sure if basketball does because I watch none of that)

7 hours ago, Flynn said:

If I were Comish my first acts would be:

1. Scrap the current playoff format, go back to 1 v. 8 etc. I'd even settle for a static bracket without reseeding..  
  2. Rename the divisions and conferences.. I want to be back in the Prince of Whales and the Patrick Division.
  3. I would falsely accuse Alec Martinez and Adam Henrique of crimes and ban them from the league. 
  4. Change game play and points. No more shootouts. No more loser points. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. make winning valuable, make a tie a tie, stop rewarding losses. 

I'll vote for you if OT stays 3v3 with no shootout. 

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

You want to really spice things up? Do as we do here in Norway.

#1 seed gets to choose who to play among #5-8. Then #2 picks, then #3.

The underdogs gets an extra chip on their shoulders knowing that the other team chose to play against them. This will also give more of an advantage to the top seeds.

I like the Norwegian style playoff "seeding", extended to 16 teams in the NHL. The payoff schedule should not be the  current 4-out of-7 for each playoff games. Instead, copy the NFL's "one-and-done" playoff schedule. Now, that would really make the playoff spicey....

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

I say go back to 1-16. It was done before many times. Who cares about travel? They are pros at this by now. To me, it’s the fairest way by far. No way we all in the east should be punished to play better teams just because they are closer. 

tou wanna know what’s best to grow a sport? A final of serious rivalries. Every other sport does this except us (not sure if basketball does because I watch none of that)

Its also about cost....More travel means more expenses.  It would honestly kind of suck if the Rangers had to play the Kings in a 7 game series in round one, then have to travel to Calgary for round 2, especially when the format is 2-2-1-1-1.  Can go to a 2-3-2 format but I think that format sucks.  

The playoff system sucks. Every year it's the same teams playing each other. Rivalries can't be manufactured this way. Luckily we have some new teams in the mix this year but I'm not interested in watching the Leafs and Bruins play for the 40th time, even if it is a "rivalry." 

4 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

1-8, with division winners being 1st and 2nd would be perfect.

when it was 3 divisions, i feel like the 3 vs 6 was a common upset and teams kind of looked to finish 6th if they could. 

I definitely don't agree with 1-16 though. Conference vs Conference final is perfect. no reason to change that.

I think I like BBB's idea.

I remember the 1-16 format, and that was cool from a matchup perspective because in the past you could get some strange shit, like Edmonton Vs. Pittsburgh or Rangers vs. Kings.  The travel would suck though, and I never liked the 2-3-2 format that would dictate I would think.

Edited by Ozzy

There wasn’t anything wrong with 1-8 seeding. Your division winners are 1&2, and you seed everyone else 3-8 based on points. They don’t need to force rivalry series in the first round. And who honestly cares… you can have great series between 2 teams that aren’t traditional rivals. It’s happened many times. It helps create and build new rivalries.

We shouldn’t be forcing it. And they shouldn’t create circumstances wherein a top team HAS to lose in the 1st round.

This year in the East, two out of Tampa, Toronto, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers are going home after round 1.

That makes for good playoff hockey?

1-8 worked and should not have been changed.  Fans also don't want to play the same teams in the playoffs every year.  Wouldn't you rather have our first series with Toronto or Detroit in over 50 years than yet another one with Washington or Pittsburgh

The current system also ends up with all sorts of distortions and injustices in terms of matchups.  It's happened over and over again.

• Keeps it 100 2

I can't complain about the east unless Washington gets a fugazi matchup. There are 7 fuckin damn good teams in the east and it's going to be a slaughter no matter what.

What's worse is that almost all of those eastern teams are better than the western teams. What, is every fucking team in the west aside from Calgary and Colorado going to finish below the EC wildcards?

Just do 1v16, 2v15 and so on and be done with it. If you absolutely insist on conferences being meaningful for anything but saving travel costs, then do 1v8 on each side and reseed after round 1.

After reading the responses, I’m happy I’m not the only one who dislikes the current scheme.  Finishing first in conference and division should earn those teams more than it does now.  I like the 1-16 seeding suggestion but also believe the travel that could portend is debilitating and likely serve as a disadvantage to the teams that have to get past it.  But 1-8 in conference is certainly doable and I think I’d eliminate the divisions entirely so the regular season schedule would be balanced and the 8 best teams are assured of making it.  But — like the cockamamie point system that awards the same 2 for a regulation, overtime and shootout win and 1 for an overtime or shootout loss — we’re probably stuck with divisions.  So at least the 7 and 8 being wildcards addresses imbalances some.

To be honest, and now that we are up to 32 teams, I’d prefer 4 divisions of 4 vs 2 divisions of 8.

I also think in the next CBA, they should add 4 games to the schedule and go to 86 games. 

Then split the schedule as follows

6 games each vs other 3 teams in division 

3 games each vs other 12 teams in conference 

2 games each vs 16 non-conference teams

We’ve been as high as 84 games in a season before in the midst of expansion in the early-90’s.