• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#68) Rangers at Detroit Red Wings — Brought to You by the Little Caesars Calzony

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Definitely, especially the half way point or so. Early in the season, October, November, December, the narrative around the league that the Rangers were just winning with Shesterkin and kind of hanging on had merit. Obviously he's still a huge part of them winning, but there needs to be some credit given to the defensive play and the overall structure.

Miller and Trouba are a very good 2nd pair. I think them finding their games this year has changed everything. Now Schneider steps in and he's great. Nemeth's demise is over stated and Philly's 1st pair Dman is our 7th. It's pretty outrageous depth and it's become a strong part of the team.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ThirtyONE said:

Miller and Trouba are a very good 2nd pair. I think them finding their games this year has changed everything. Now Schneider steps in and he's great. Nemeth's demise is over stated and Philly's 1st pair Dman is our 7th. It's pretty outrageous depth and it's become a strong part of the team.

Nemeth has had his ugly moments, but I really don't think he's been that bad this year. He's easily moveable in the offseason if they choose too. With the trades Drury made, they now have depth all throughout the lineup. Even with Miller's struggles, we have to keep in mind he's still very green and defensemen can take longer to develop, and everyone develops differently anyway. Schneider could develop into another McDonagh type. I'm very excited about our future on defense.

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

They weren't able to go to get a backup at the deadline, at this point they're resting all their hopes on Igor. 

Now they are in a position where they have to play him because they can't afford him to be rusty.

That said, the only way he's playing is if there's a serious injury to Igor, in which case the team has no shot anyway.

Yep for sure. 

I was and still am genuinely confused as to why Georgiev played both Sunday and Wednesday. I understand one. I don’t get both. You have 3 games in 4 nights, Igor should get 2. I think we all expected just looking at the schedule that the Detroit game would be Georgiev just because it’s the second half of a back to back. But why the Buffalo game? Strength of opponent? We can’t afford to waste points; as good as we’ve been at collecting them, everyone around us is doing the same damn thing.

I get not wanting to burn him out or risk injury. But, let’s not get the guy rusty here down the stretch.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yep for sure. 

I was and still am genuinely confused as to why Georgiev played both Sunday and Wednesday. I understand one. I don’t get both. You have 3 games in 4 nights, Igor should get 2. I think we all expected just looking at the schedule that the Detroit game would be Georgiev just because it’s the second half of a back to back. But why the Buffalo game? Strength of opponent? We can’t afford to waste points; as good as we’ve been at collecting them, everyone around us is doing the same damn thing.

I get not wanting to burn him out or risk injury. But, let’s not get the guy rusty here down the stretch.

Agreed. Sometimes Gallant's roster decisions make you scratch your head, and not just with the goalies I mean.

Last night was certainly not for the faint of heart, that's for sure!!!  Sometimes I kinda wish we would start Georgiev more often.  It sure as hell spurs the comedic genius in all of you!!! 

Speaking of which........here are the Top 20 (Yeah, that many!!) nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”:

15 hours ago, G1000 said:

Trivia is nothing because tnt.

13 hours ago, G1000 said:

Ryan Reaves with an unassisted goal and Nemeth making a-1 defensive plays.

Can someone please check the Mayan calendar?

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

You spelled shitty goalie wrong. But I do agree that his game reminds me of cat litter 

13 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Penguins forwards played better goal.

13 hours ago, leetchy2 said:

Georgy got hit in the mask. Maybe the NHL should call down see if he's concussed 😀

13 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Georgiev belongs in the garbagiev

13 hours ago, jsrangers said:

First....

Save....

Wins.....

13 hours ago, G1000 said:

Maybe Georgiev deserved that punch.

13 hours ago, Flynn said:

Georgie isn't an NHL goaltender. 

That goal was softer than Elton John in a strip club. 

12 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

I think they are marking every shot from within the zone on Georgio as a quality scoring chance…

12 hours ago, josh said:

Lafreniere skating like he’s got a big dick, this period.

12 hours ago, rmc51 said:

He does. I seen it on @G1000's hard drive next to the Ricci tape

12 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

Georgie's suck is rubbing off on everyone

12 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Georgiev is like E.D. He doesn't work when you need him to, but every once in a while, you might get a surprise and some hope; just to be utterly let down again.....

12 hours ago, G1000 said:

I'm at the point where I now just believe Georgiev deserved the punch.

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

Laf asked georgiev if he was alright and then got upset when he said yes.

12 hours ago, Karan said:

We'd be up 3-0 if any one of the Penguins defenders were in goal for us tonight. 

11 hours ago, Phil said:

Kreider PPG here.

Kreskin hat on again, huh?  LOL

11 hours ago, Flynn said:

Margaret Thatcher said it best..

”Bad sex still counts as sex”

9 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

It's funny, I never see my dogs hanging around when Georgiev is in.

Some downright awesome work from you guys last night!!! 

....and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @jsm7302 . A comparison to Georgiev and dick problems totally fits the bill for last night's "performance"...or in this case, lack-there-of!!

Good God, he's fucking just terrible!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

33 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yep for sure. 

I don't think Igor is ever rusty, but we have seen him get tired and we have seen him be unavailable for the postseason for reasons not explained. 

At this point I'm putting faith in the staff. Every time we think we know better than the coaches, we don't. Everybody thought they knew better than Quinn, and then GG came in and used the same exact lines that Quinn was using, just as one small example.

I'm at the point where I'm just ready to accept that we are barely going to know the whole story when it comes to this team between GG and Drury being so tight-lipped, so we just need to have faith in their decisions because it's worked out so far. 

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I don't think Igor is ever rusty, but we have seen him get tired and we have seen him be unavailable for the postseason for reasons not explained. 

At this point I'm putting faith in the staff. Every time we think we know better than the coaches, we don't. Everybody thought they knew better than Quinn, and then GG came in and used the same exact lines that Quinn was using. 

I'm at the point where I'm just ready to accept that we are barely going to know the whole story when it comes to this team between GG and Drury being so tight-lipped, so we just need to have faith in their decisions because it's worked out so far. 

You know what, man...you're 100% right on.  I'm done playing Jr GM as well.  I can't know what's going on back stage, and I think it's high time to just simply leave the controls to Gallant.  He's basically pushed all the right buttons this season, and even when I think "what the fuck is he starting that guy for?"....it all just seems to work out.

Fuck it...at this point, I put all faith and trust in Gallant, and also Drury, who has seemingly found players that fit this squad to the letter.

I'll just stick to drinking beer, and High-five'ing everyone in the bar when we score!!!  I'm best suited for that!!  LOL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You know what, man...you're 100% right on.  I'm done playing Jr GM as well.  I can't know what's going on back stage, and I think it's high time to just simply leave the controls to Gallant.  He's basically pushed all the right buttons this season, and even when I think "what the fuck is he starting that guy for?"....it all just seems to work out.

Fuck it...at this point, I put all faith and trust in Gallant, and also Drury, who has seemingly found players that fit this squad to the letter.

I'll just stick to drinking beer, and High-five'ing everyone in the bar when we score!!!  I'm best suited for that!!  LOL

Just don't high five when Strome shoots wide anymore

• LMFAO 1

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Just don't high five when Strome shoots wide anymore

I wasn't the only one who jumped outta my seat!!  LOL

...and besides, I can't see very well!!  ...so I have an excuse!  😉

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

I mean the Rangers have drastically cut down on shots against. They've drastically cut down on odd man rushes against. Last night should have been a 4-0 win. When your goalie saves a shot into his own goal, you are in trouble. Georgiev did nothing to relieve the team who was playing back to backs, and yet again, they bailed him out. 

IMO, this is the best defensive group this team has had in years. Is Igor the best goalie in the game? Yes. But the team defense has gotten much stronger over the course of the season, and right now they're very good. If you can continue to hold teams to 24, 25, 26 shots a night, they're going to win most of those games.

Yeah, I was in and out last last night, so I may have perceived more chaos and disorganization than the stats indicate in retrospect. I was very conscious of the turning point toward better D this season and want it to keep moving forward. But I can't really argue with a 65% shot share in the last 2 periods.

Just thinking about how this crew stacks up with McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Klein, and Stralman. Don't think it's there yet, but that was a total veteran core. The potential for maturation and improvement from Fox, Miller, Schneider, and even Lindgren is a little staggering - even without the addition of a Jones and/or Lundqvist - and would blow it past 2013-14. Hell, Trouba is probably having one of his best all-around seasons and could still be on an upswing.  

Excuse me while I reach for my shades.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

What I'm looking for is more defensive consistency. The Rangers have evolved from flailing around while Igor saves their ass to beating good teams with patience and  discipline. Last night, they were back to giving up a lot of odd-man rushes and coughing up the puck against a team they should dominate. On the other hand, NYR kept finding themselves behind when they shouldn't have, with the need to take chances to catch up. Looking at you, Geo.

So, I applaud the resilience and the ability to get it done when they need to - and have all year. The year-over-year improvement of this team remains mind blowing and I've never been in the we-suck-except-for-Igor camp. 

I just want to see them practice that methodical, physical, stingy D and make it the rule as they head into the playoffs. 

I def understand the thought. I just enjoy how the team seems to adapt and absorb adversity right now. If they need to run and gun they can. If they need to lock i5 down defensively they can. I think we are coming into form at the right time and I trust this coaching staff to put the team in the right position to be successful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

At this point I'm putting faith in the staff. Every time we think we know better than the coaches, we don't. Everybody thought they knew better than Quinn, and then GG came in and used the same exact lines that Quinn was using, just as one small example.

To me though, I think realistically, this team isn’t in the same spot success wise right now if Quinn were the coach. I think we know my feelings on Quinn so I’m sure it’s a bias but still. I don’t think nearly 70 games into the season we would have the 4th most points in the league. Just my opinion of course. 

Just now, Keirik said:

To me though, I think realistically, this team isn’t in the same spot success wise right now if Quinn were the coach. I think we know my feelings on Quinn so I’m sure it’s a bias but still. I don’t think nearly 70 games into the season we would have the 4th most points in the league. Just my opinion of course. 

I think it was def. Time for Quinn to go but I’d be curious to see what a legit non-rebuilding team would look like under him. 

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, siddious said:

I think it was def. Time for Quinn to go but I’d be curious to see what a legit non-rebuilding team would look like under him. 

I mean up until the deadline, this team was (according to fans) worse on paper than last years team. David Quinn over coached. He panicked when shit got tough. He shuffled lines 1 shift into the game. He wasn't an NHL coach. 

Gallant is ride or die with his players. He stands up for them in the media. He never panics. He leaves the lines alone for 20+ games at a time. It's really no surprise to me that the players are responding well to that.

I mean, it's basically the same. exact. team. I don't think there's a clearer example of why coaching matters in the NHL.

• Keeps it 100 2

19 minutes ago, siddious said:

The real question we should be asking is why did Gallant get fired from his last three HC gigs?  Was it the Pat Riley/John Tortorella model where the coach eventually wears out his welcome inside the locker room or is it the model where he can get a team to the dance but he cannot win the big one?

In either event the Rangers are clearly a massive improvement this year compared to Quinn and this season is unexpected gravy right now, but.... the question still dangles.

1 minute ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

The real question we should be asking is why did Gallant get fired from his last three HC gigs?  Was it the Pat Riley/John Tortorella model where the coach eventually wears out his welcome inside the locker room or is it the model where he can get a team to the dance but he cannot win the big one?

In either event the Rangers are clearly a massive improvement this year compared to Quinn and this season is unexpected gravy right now, but.... the question still dangles.

I don't think this needs to be asked anymore. It was discussed ad nauseum when he was hired.

Vegas pumps and dumps.

Florida wanted analytics.

Case closed.

He's nothing like Pat Riley or John Tortorella. He's a players coach. Universally loved by his players. Sometimes management wants something else.

• VINNY! 1

39 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I'm not re-litigating Quinn, my point is simply that 10 out of 10 times management has way more information than we do, and 9/10 times they are making better choices. So while I personally might not agree with a choice GG makes, there's no doubt in my mind that he knows better. Because he was actually able to get a job coaching in the NHL and none of us will haha.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not re-litigating Quinn, my point is simply that 10 out of 10 times management has way more information than we do, and 9/10 times they are making better choices. So while I personally might not agree with a choice GG makes, there's no doubt in my mind that he knows better. Because he was actually able to get a job coaching in the NHL and none of us will haha.

I agree with all of that. I wasn't necessarily making a point at you. You just opened the door to the conversation.  None of us fans know what goes on behind closed doors. The ADA situation probably highlights that the most. There is probably so much h more we don't know about.

Either way, don't burst my bubble. When I'm GM, you know my first trade is for Gourde and my second is to sign Boyle to a lifetime contract:)

• LMFAO 1

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I agree with all of that. I wasn't necessarily making a point at you. You just opened the door to the conversation.  None of us fans know what goes on behind closed doors. The ADA situation probably highlights that the most. There is probably so much h more we don't know about.

Either way, don't burst my bubble. When I'm GM, you know my first trade is for Gourde and my second is to sign Boyle to a lifetime contract:)

As soon as Boyle scored the other night, I thought to myself:  "He fucking giggling out loud, I just know it!!!"