• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

10 Goals in 15 Games — Can/Will Kreider Break Jagr's Franchise Record?

Phil

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'll stand up and say yes, that was me, RMC!!!!  ...I hated that deal when he signed it...I admit it!!!  I also think I had a seizure that day!  ...even went to the doctor because I was sick!!!  LOL

I can fully say with great pride:  I WAS WRONG!!!!   ...and I'm very grateful to say that!  He's been fucking FABULOUS this year!!!

LOL

Definitely wasn’t calling anyone out on what they thought of the contract at the time. Hell, I was personally on the fence about dealing him rather than signing him…it was NOT an easy call by any means at the time. But we/I have been unequivocally proven wrong for even entertaining the suggestion lol

I was more referencing fans out there who still beat the drum on this despite being so obviously proven wrong.

• Cheers 1

I remember when Jagr was scoring all those goals that season, it felt ridiculous. For some reason Kreider's total doesn't seem that surprising. I have no idea why. Maybe because most of his goals have been ugly? 

Either way, I hope he gets it. That would be an amazing cap on the season.

42 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

LOL

Definitely wasn’t calling anyone out on what they thought of the contract at the time. Hell, I was personally on the fence about dealing him rather than signing him…it was NOT an easy call by any means at the time. But we/I have been unequivocally proven wrong for even entertaining the suggestion lol

I was more referencing fans out there who still beat the drum on this despite being so obviously proven wrong.

Nah, it's cool man...I have no issue being wrong on this one.  I'm happily eating crow and smiling every time CK nets one!! 

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

They still play the Flyers twice, Detroit twice (including tonight) and Montreal once. All of those teams are among the worst in goals against in the league. He’ll have some opportunities against bad teams to pad his stats.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

I was just going to go look at this, but also PK%.

Wings' PK% is dead last. Habs are 28th. Flyers are 25th.

He absolutely has a real shot at it.

While we're at this, Panarin is 20 assists away from the assist record.  Before you say that's crazy, he has 19 assists in his last 15 games.  For all ^these^ reason, Panarin has a shot too.....pretty dang good guess.

• Applause 2

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nah, it's cool man...I have no issue being wrong on this one.  I'm happily eating crow and smiling every time CK nets one!! 

Sorry ozzy ,but I am happy you're eating some crow

I always thought that krieder did well for a middle first rounder ,but a lot of rangers fans expected him to play like a top a number one  pick .

• LMFAO 1

I remember when Chris was first called up and there was a lot of hype around his speed and that sort of thing. But now he really doesn't use it, and isn't even that great on breakaways. He's developed into a guy who parks himself in front of the goalie and gets all the ugly goals. That's fine and all, but seeing how he was like when he came up, to what he has become is interesting. 

I wouldn't expect this kind of production going forward, but if we can still get this kind of play from him for the duration, we're in for a treat. He's still just in his prime at age 30, could be a late bloomer type where a lot of his production happens later in that area. Or, this could just be a case where it's a career year and he's immensely hot all season.

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I remember when Chris was first called up and there was a lot of hype around his speed and that sort of thing. But now he really doesn't use it, and isn't even that great on breakaways. He's developed into a guy who parks himself in front of the goalie and gets all the ugly goals. That's fine and all, but seeing how he was like when he came up, to what he has become is interesting. 

I wouldn't expect this kind of production going forward, but if we can still get this kind of play from him for the duration, we're in for a treat. He's still just in his prime at age 30, could be a late bloomer type where a lot of his production happens later in that area. Or, this could just be a case where it's a career year and he's immensely hot all season.

He still uses his speed on zone entries and especially on puck recovery. His jump is still world class. He’s just gotten so much smarter in terms of what works for him. He has finally developed the consistency that makes him one of the best power forwards in the game.

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

He still uses his speed on zone entries and especially on puck recovery. His jump is still world class. He’s just gotten so much smarter in terms of what works for him. He has finally developed the consistency that makes him one of the best power forwards in the game.

Yes. I don't really think it has anything to do with coaching at all. Gallant is kind of a guy who just has his guys go out and play, for the most part. It is just maturity and also becoming a leader presence, something I noticed especially last season. He's totally embraced it.

18 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

While I wouldn't expect the 50 goal range every year, if this is the kind of play we're going to get from Kreider for most of the duration of this contract, then it's going to look like a damn good one.

That’s a good idea, cause I think you’ll be disappointed.

But if he’s now blossomed into a 30-35+ guy, that works.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:09 PM, Drew a Penalty said:

Yeah, they've struggled to draw lately. In the span of their last 5 games they're second worst in the NHL with just 6 powerplay opportunities. Over the course of the season they're seventh worst, but one short of a tie for 9th worst. This is oddly where they miss Kevin Rooney whose 16 drawn penalties are the second highest on the team. Strome is fourth with 14. Playing without the two of them definitely hurts their ability to get calls.

If a team is working hard they're going to get their power plays. It has nothing to do with who's missing from the lineup.

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me this is even a discussion. He needs 5 goals in 8 games to get it. He's been scoring at a good clip all year, no real bad streaks, so it's certainly possible. He'll probably score in bunches, and then not get any the last couple games of the season and wind up tying. lol For me to feel confident in him breaking it, I think he really needs to do some damage against the Flyers and Red Wings. They are two of the weaker teams the Rangers have left on the schedule. They do have one game with Montreal in the second to last game of the season.