• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#70) Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers — Ode to Keith Yandle

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

I think that was probably the first time Gallant has over thought something all season. I don't care how good someone is playing in a game, if they're not your most skilled player, you don't put them in a skills competition. You would certainly never see Reaves in the SO, even if he had a hattrick in the same game.

I don't know. He did put out Laf after Byfield scored in the shootout vs Kings (and that went well). He also put out Key in a shootout after he had a good game (If I'm not totally off here). He's done decisions like these from time to time and I guess you can't fault him for it. I think it's the right way to try and give these kids some confidence. Slowly, but gradually giving them more responsibilities and rewarding them for good play.

Just a little weird watching Chytil come out for the 3rd and decisive shot. Felt like they tried to lose lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, Valriera said:

Played pretty uncharacteristically defensively but we could have easily scored six this game, Nobody wanted to score. Good comeback. Next!

The Rangers always do the same thing.  They look to pass too much.  Passing up good chances to shoot or waiting too long to shoot.  They really need 1 or 2 shoot first type players.   

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Eh...Both teams had the same amount of HDCF, Rangers just had a ton more low % chances.

Even then, Jones allowed 1 goal on chances amounting to what should have been nearly 3. He played well enough (or as the case might have been, we just didn't execute on the high value chances as well as we should have).

There's also a reasonable narrative that we Lundqvisted this game. One soft goal against and couldn't make it up.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The Rangers always do the same thing.  They look to pass too much.  Passing up good chances to shoot or waiting too long to shoot.  They really need 1 or 2 shoot first type players.   

I’ve noticed they are lacking some creativity lately when entering the zone. We can all almost predict exactly what they are going to do based on which person has the puck.  Every time. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

7 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I guess this is what we get when we complain all season about the team only being able to win against "bad teams".

Now we beat the playoff teams and lose to the dog shit teams...

The Islanders, with 7-3-0 for the last ten games aren't a "bad team". If it wasn't for the pandemic, they'd probably be in the top four in our division. Lindy Ruff is doing a pretty good job at the Devils, it's been a slow start and now, just playing "spoiler role" in their remaining games. I would not be surprised, if the Devils slap around the Rangers again. Especially, if Geo is between the pipes.

We'll see how your theory works against Pittsburgh this Thursday, but you're right. As long as they keep beating the playoff teams, they would be a OK...😉

After rewatching this game right now, Bread was great in the 1st period and Chytil played a fast, smart game. His linemates didn't elevate their game to help that line become more of a factor. Chytil definitely has raised his gameplay at the perfect time and I hope he becomes a playoff beast. Is he a center who's a difference maker in the NHL ? No, not yet, but he still has a ceiling just like Zibby did. 

1 hour ago, CBrowningPI said:

After rewatching this game right now, Bread was great in the 1st period and Chytil played a fast, smart game. His linemates didn't elevate their game to help that line become more of a factor. Chytil definitely has raised his gameplay at the perfect time and I hope he becomes a playoff beast. Is he a center who's a difference maker in the NHL ? No, not yet, but he still has a ceiling just like Zibby did. 

Fair.

He has made me rethink hating his game and wishing he would get moved. He is growing on me suddenly after the deadline.

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

I’ve noticed they are lacking some creativity lately when entering the zone. We can all almost predict exactly what they are going to do based on which person has the puck.  Every time. 

Panarin is the most predictable player on the team but every now and again it works so people excuse all the giveaways.  

31 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Panarin is the most predictable player on the team but every now and again it works so people excuse all the giveaways.  

Disagree. More creative than anyone on the roster with the exception of maybe Zib and Fox. 

• Keeps it 100 1

22 hours ago, Keirik said:

They have no clue wtf they are doing and have no respect for the actual game. 

The haven't had respect for the game since Bobby Clarke and his goon squad. And Clarke is still un upper management I believe.

10 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Disagree. More creative than anyone on the roster with the exception of maybe Zib and Fox. 

Watch Panarin enter the offensive zone and see if he doesn’t repeat the same thing every time.

Hate to criticize him because I don’t mean it that way but if he can’t alter your game more come playoff time, it’s going to a very short run. 

How many goals did Ovechkin score, the same exact way, over and over, every time?

Panarin's on pace for 95 points...Who cares if they know it's coming, they're not stopping it. Now at the point where it does stop working, I'm sure he's got more in his back of tricks. No reason to show them now.

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Watch Panarin enter the offensive zone and see if he doesn’t repeat the same thing every time.

Hate to criticize him because I don’t mean it that way but if he can’t alter your game more come playoff time, it’s going to a very short run. 

Being "predictable" only matters if you can be stopped. To this point, he can't be. Playoffs included.

473 points in 433 regular season games (1.1 P/GP). 28 points in 30 playoff games (0.9 P/GP).

His last two runs with Columbus, he was better than point-per-game. 11 points in 10 games in 2018-19 and seven points in six games in 2017-18.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

How many goals did Ovechkin score, the same exact way, over and over, every time?

Panarin's on pace for 95 points...Who cares if they know it's coming, they're not stopping it. Now at the point where it does stop working, I'm sure he's got more in his back of tricks. No reason to show them now.

They are stopping it. He’s on his lowest pace for goals in his career. Assists are nice. Goals are better.  

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

They are stopping it. He’s on his lowest pace for goals in his career. Assists are nice. Goals are better.  

And on pace for more assists than he's ever had in his career. They aren't stopping shit.

• VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

And on pace for more assists than he's ever had in his career. They aren't stopping shit.

Which are coming on the PP significantly more than they had been. 28 PP assists this season versus a career high of 17 in 2019-20. While his overall production and effectiveness haven't gone down, his 5on5 production has. That can probably be partly attributed to Strome's struggles and a bunch of failed right wings.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly this. I'm sure there are more than a few Kreider goals that could have been Panarin goals on the PP.

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

Which are coming on the PP significantly more than they had been. 28 PP assists this season versus a career high of 17 in 2019-20. While his overall production and effectiveness haven't gone down, his 5on5 production has. That can probably be partly attributed to Strome's struggles and a bunch of failed right wings.

Sure, and I get that. It's important context to consider as we prepare for the playoffs where the PP may be much less of a factor. The entire team has simply not done a great job at 5v5 this season, but their performance has equalized, at the very least, since the trade deadline. They're not great 5v5, but they're probably good enough to stand a puncher's chance in any game.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Come on now. I love the dude too, but his goal production isn’t outstanding this year. In our 19 losses he’s played in, he has 2 goals.  That’s not a great stat. Nitpicking yes, but we still are going to need goals from him. There’s another gear to his game. We saw it year one here. I’d like to see it again

19 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Come on now. I love the dude too, but his goal production isn’t outstanding this year. In our 19 losses he’s played in, he has 2 goals.  That’s not a great stat. Nitpicking yes, but we still are going to need goals from him. There’s another gear to his game. We saw it year one here. I’d like to see it again

Panarin really might be the only player in NHL history to score 90 points and get told "well, there's another gear to your game"....correctly.

Like, the dude isn't playing to potential and still top 12 in scoring. 

• Applause 1

30 minutes ago, Keirik said:

A goal means a puck went in the net. An assist means a puck went in the net. I don't care how the goals come. I care that they come. 

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

12 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Panarin really might be the only player in NHL history to score 90 points and get told "well, there's another gear to your game"....correctly.

Like, the dude isn't playing to potential and still top 12 in scoring. 

11 minutes ago, G1000 said:

A goal means a puck went in the net. An assist means a puck went in the net. I don't care how the goals come. I care that they come. 

I figured that was coming lo. I hear ya. S puck goes in either way and someone scores. However, I guess some of those are secondary assists or occasions where the goal wasn't a direct outcome of bread's pass. An assist doesn't always mean the goal was from said assist but a goal is always directly correlated if that makes sense.

Maybe more accurately, when I say another gear, it's moreso where he needs to be a bit more selfish sometimes. I'd like to see more shots out of him. His shots are slightly down as well. We all know space and time decreases come playoff time. We really are going to need more shots from him in my opinion.