• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Films Have You Watched Lately?

A24 put out two movies that I caught over the last two weeks that I really enjoyed.

Everything Everywhere All at Once might be of my favorite releases of the last few years. It's got so much going for it. It's incredibly heartfelt, the action sequences are fantastic long-takes without needless jumping, the comedy is genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. I went in completely blind and came out so happy that I knew nothing. I included the trailer here, but skip if it if you can and just try my word and that of many of others who've enjoyed it. It's a really great movie.

X was a really solid slasher film. I didn't find it scary, but I was most definitely unsettled by a part or two. It's filmed really well and skews a bit more on the artsy horror side than just a pure horror/slasher. I loved how it had some original Texas Chainsaw Massacre to it. It's not a must-go in the way that I'd consider Everything Everywhere All at Once, but I'd say it's worth checking out if you're craving a slasher film.

Everything Everywhere All At Once was phenomenal. Just saw it yesterday. Really would encourage people to go see it. It's got a really fun idea of the multiverse, as well as a lot of humor, a bit of suspense, action. The film just has everything it needs to be an enjoyable experience throughout.

Caught an advanced screening of The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's fun seeing Nic Cage play a version of himself and he hams it up just the right amount. Plenty of callbacks to his previous works, but you don't have to actually have seen everything he's done to appreciate the references being made. Pedro Pascal is hilarious in it and has great chemistry with Nic Cage. I'd recommend seeing this one if you're looking for a good comedy.

5 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Caught an advanced screening of The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's fun seeing Nic Cage play a version of himself and he hams it up just the right amount. Plenty of callbacks to his previous works, but you don't have to actually have seen everything he's done to appreciate the references being made. Pedro Pascal is hilarious in it and has great chemistry with Nic Cage. I'd recommend seeing this one if you're looking for a good comedy.

was wondering why Hulu kept suggesting nic cage movies to me 

On 4/18/2022 at 1:27 PM, Drew a Penalty said:

I'm looking forward to seeing that one. Nic Cage has been in some really fun movies recently, most notably Color Out of Space, Mandy and Willy's Wonderland are all bangers.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 1

Caught The Northman on Friday and thought it was alright. I guess I had higher expectations of this one, and found it to be mostly rather dull. The action was well done when it happened and there are a couple of excellently filmed/edited long takes, but it never really built up any momentum or excitement. I would've liked for the movie to lean into more of the action or the artsy bits that are strewn throughout. It's still worth a watch, but it won't make my top 5 movies watched this year as I had anticipated.

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Watched Collateral last night.  Haven't seen that in ages, such a good movie.  Also watched a Netflix movie called The Titan.  Awful.  Don't fall for the trailer and end up wasting your time like I did.  Just fucking terrible.

Great movie and one of Tom's best, and he's been in so many good ones.

• Cheers 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:18 PM, Drew a Penalty said:

Caught The Northman on Friday and thought it was alright. I guess I had higher expectations of this one, and found it to be mostly rather dull. The action was well done when it happened and there are a couple of excellently filmed/edited long takes, but it never really built up any momentum or excitement. I would've liked for the movie to lean into more of the action or the artsy bits that are strewn throughout. It's still worth a watch, but it won't make my top 5 movies watched this year as I had anticipated.

Watched this on my flight in July. Felt the same. The casting was great, and it seems to capture the period well, but it lacked the kind of cinematic flare and spectacle you'd of it. I was expecting Vikings the movie.

Been catching up on some summer releases that I hadn't taken the time to watch.

Men was my most anticipated film of the year because Alex Garland is one of my favorite writer/directors. It's definitely the most beautiful movie I've seen this year, the framing and color grading are just incredible. The scenic countryside works so well to juxtapose the long eerie empty shots throughout. It builds speed far too quickly, though, and unravels towards the end when it could've benefitted from more set-up and showing less. There's one visually disturbing bit in the movie that drags out that's both effective and ineffective — it's cool at least. Overall Men didn't end up being exactly what I hoped for, though I'd still rate it among my favorites this year.

Black Phone was a pretty good drama/thriller. The main kids put on strong performances and do most of the heavy lifting. It's hyped as a dark turn for Ethan Hawke, but there wasn't nearly enough of him to make a significant enough impact. He's really good and creepy when he's there, I just expected and wanted more from him. Couple of decent jump scares in there too. It's a solid short watch.

Nope I ended up enjoying a lot, though I'd put it behind Get Out. It's a really slow burn that goes off on the occasional tangent. I love a slow burn, especially in horror, so it's right up my alley. It has one of the most uncomfortably gruesome scenes I've seen this year. I'd highly recommend it.

Also caught a re-release of The Mummy (1999) in theaters and it was fucking awesome to see on the big screen. It's one of my all time favorite movies and it benefits so much from being shown on film reel. Sold out showing and the audience was super into it.

6 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Been catching up on some summer releases that I hadn't taken the time to watch.

Men was my most anticipated film of the year because Alex Garland is one of my favorite writer/directors. It's definitely the most beautiful movie I've seen this year, the framing and color grading are just incredible. The scenic countryside works so well to juxtapose the long eerie empty shots throughout. It builds speed far too quickly, though, and unravels towards the end when it could've benefitted from more set-up and showing less. There's one visually disturbing bit in the movie that drags out that's both effective and ineffective — it's cool at least. Overall Men didn't end up being exactly what I hoped for, though I'd still rate it among my favorites this year.

Black Phone was a pretty good drama/thriller. The main kids put on strong performances and do most of the heavy lifting. It's hyped as a dark turn for Ethan Hawke, but there wasn't nearly enough of him to make a significant enough impact. He's really good and creepy when he's there, I just expected and wanted more from him. Couple of decent jump scares in there too. It's a solid short watch.

Nope I ended up enjoying a lot, though I'd put it behind Get Out. It's a really slow burn that goes off on the occasional tangent. I love a slow burn, especially in horror, so it's right up my alley. It has one of the most uncomfortably gruesome scenes I've seen this year. I'd highly recommend it.

Also caught a re-release of The Mummy (1999) in theaters and it was fucking awesome to see on the big screen. It's one of my all time favorite movies and it benefits so much from being shown on film reel. Sold out showing and the audience was super into it.

Nope was easily one of the worst movies ever made. I cannot take the rest of this review post seriously. 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Leave the World Behind on Netflix.  End of the world type of thriller.  Takes place on Long Island.  It was ok but here's been some negative reviews that I have seen though take it for what its worth.  I love these types of movies so personally I found it good...until the very last closing scene.  And then it sucked.  That is all I will say.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Road House (w/ Patrick Swayze)

Next will be Road House (w/ Jake Gyllenhall)

I'm halfway through the Gyllenhaal version. It's fun, in a very different way from the original. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1