• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#73) Rangers vs. Ottawa Senators — Pop Your Collars for the MDZ Tour

Phil

Just now, Phil said:

True, but my point is still the same. He won't produce a lot, but he's not going to hurt you. Just need a little punch on the wings.

But in all likelihood, it's going to be Laf-Chytil-Kakko.

No. He didn’t “play that role in Tampa”.

and shouldn’t here.

Lafreniere- Chytil-Kakko isn’t much better. 

it does “hurt you” in the playoffs when your third line looks like it’s a coyotes middle 6 combo 

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

🤮

Not great, but I also think they're going to end up in a really reduced role. Probably 12 minutes a night, max.

If Goodrow is on the fourth line, he's gonna end up with more average TOI than the entire turd line.

• Like 1

Just now, josh said:

No. He didn’t “play that role in Tampa”.

and shouldn’t here.

Lafreniere- Chytil-Kakko isn’t much better. 

it does “hurt you” in the playoffs when your third line looks like it’s a coyotes middle 6 combo 

Yes, Josh. You got me on the technicality. Congrats.

My (larger) point is that he's not a productive player, but he's reliable. Swiss army knife player. He's basically Jesper Fast, but meaner. If he's your 3C, it's not ideal, but it's not a nightmare, either.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, Josh. You got me on the technicality. Congrats.

My (larger) point is that he's not a productive player, but he's reliable. Swiss army knife player. He's basically Jesper Fast, but meaner. If he's your 3C, it's not ideal, but it's not a nightmare, either.

He shouldn’t be playing on the third line unless an emergency or perfect fit (Tampa). That’s not with Lafreniere. I could see a fit with Kakko, though. 

Just now, Phil said:

Not great, but I also think they're going to end up in a really reduced role. Probably 12 minutes a night, max.

If Goodrow is on the fourth line, he's gonna end up with more average TOI than the entire turd line.

I really just have trouble trusting a kid-line in the playoffs. I smell a disaster happening there. But I'm not opposed to Gallant giving it a trial run in the remaining regular season games.

Just now, rmc51 said:

I really just have trouble trusting a kid-line in the playoffs. I smell a disaster happening there. But I'm not opposed to Gallant giving it a trial run in the remaining regular season games.

Gallant won’t do it.

spread out the size, spread out the skill. There’s so much potential depth with the skill and complementary players. Use it to your advantage 

Just now, josh said:

Gallant won’t do it.

spread out the size, spread out the skill. There’s so much potential depth with the skill and complementary players. Use it to your advantage 

Yup. There are a lot of different combinations I'd like to see in the bottom 6, especially if you drop the 3rd/4th line construct. Just find the 2 best lines and figure out ice time allocation later.

• Like 1

This is the most complete team we’ve had since 94, except for our third ljne situation. For kakko, laf, and goodrow to be as bad as they were during this easy of a game is just sad. You almost put them back in top six and put a line of goodrow copp and vatrano together that can actually play hockey and hope the elite 4 carry the kids

7 minutes ago, josh said:

Gallant won’t do it.

So .. Goodrow WILL be the 3C? Rooney? 

Get what I was getting at? 

Chytil will be the 3C, but will definitely be spelled by one of Goodrow, Rooney or Copp later in games or if they get behind. 

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

This is the most complete team we’ve had since 94, except for our third ljne situation. For kakko, laf, and goodrow to be as bad as they were during this easy of a game is just sad. You almost put them back in top six and put a line of goodrow copp and vatrano together that can actually play hockey and hope the elite 4 carry the kids

Kakko is rusty and that should be expected. Chytil is hurt. The top 6 is running on all cylinders and is somewhat dominant. Not sure we will see that broken up. It's too good right now. 

So, they once again need to get creative and build a 3rd line. This trio didn't look too hot,  but it was one game. Goodrow hasn't played much center here. Kakko is just getting back and the fat kid is fat again. It's likely that Chytil will be between the two disappointments when hes healthy for a trifecta of ruined dreams.  Any one of that 3 just needs some confidence and they could set the fuse. 

If Gallant didn't have to try and win out the rest of the season,  I'd say that he should play the fuck out of the 3rd line to get them going. PP time included. But that doesn't look possible. 

9 hours ago, rmc51 said:

This is why it doesn't matter what the wins look like in October/November/December. Just get them. This is a much different team now, but reaping the benefits of accumulating all of those wins.

It matters insofar as identifying the issues. It was very clear what the issues were, and they've been addressed. 

Ask the Toronto Maple Leafs if "how you win matters" because I bet they have a POV. 

The Rangers once started a year 10-1-2 ...they only scored about 20 goals in that stretch. Some of us said "They don't score enough"...we got told "Shut up, they're winning"...they missed the playoffs.

Yea, how you win matters, if you're serious about winning. 

Edited by Pete

9 hours ago, Phil said:

True, but my point is still the same. He won't produce a lot, but he's not going to hurt you. Just need a little punch on the wings.

But in all likelihood, it's going to be Laf-Chytil-Kakko.

Then you have the same issue as the current 3rd line. What's their role? Not good enough to score with Chytil C, not good enough to check when Goodrow is C.

Until Kakko and Lafreniere start playing up to their potential that line is a black hole. 

Joe said something about how Jack Hughes isn't scared to make plays, our kids need more of that swagger. 

• Like 1

Would be nice to push Copp down to 3C w/ Goodrow on wing, but the two lynch pins to the rebuild just aren't good enough.

Chytil is a lefty, but he slashes better from the right so maybe he can play RW with Strome and Panarin, but that's probably dumb, and would push one of Lafreniere or Kakko to the 4th line, or press box, which I doubt they'd do.

Only hope I see is Kakko getting up to speed and playing in that 2nd line spot.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1