• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Injured Again; "Weak, Too Weak" with Lower-Body Injury

Phil

What the hell do we do with this kid in the offseason? Pick wise, he’s going to get more than his entry level contract but he’s not worth much more at all than he’s being paid without the bonus money he likely hasn’t even qualified for. 

40 minutes ago, Keirik said:

What the hell do we do with this kid in the offseason? Pick wise, he’s going to get more than his entry level contract but he’s not worth much more at all than he’s being paid without the bonus money he likely hasn’t even qualified for. 

He'll get no more than double what he got on his ELC.

12 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Don’t see Kakko taking less than what Chytil got (2.3). I’m guesstimating a 2 year bridge in the 2.5-3 neighborhood.

Which feels ... like a shitty contract.

My max is 2x2. Seriously. I think I'd rather trade him than pay him based on fucking hope. 

• Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

I really hate to give up on this kid, but I don't think there's any way you can pay this kid any more than $1.5 million a season until he gets his shit together.

I'm not sure if we could do this, but if we signed Kakko for like $1.5 or $2 million a year for let's say....3 years.  Is it possible to send him down to Hartford without him having to clear waivers before next season??

I'm thinking somehow maybe we can hide him away until he gets his ass in gear.  I dunno, I just hate to give up on him...he seems like he could do it, if he could just stay on the fucking ice for a week!

I know you guys think he's a bust, and I'm not even gonna argue that, because he looks like he's going 100MPH down Bust Boulevard....I just don't wanna see this guy turn into another JT MIller, and have us wishing we would've just been a little more patient....that's all.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Which feels ... like a shitty contract.

My max is 2x2. Seriously. I think I'd rather trade him than pay him based on fucking hope. 

29 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

He should get nothing solely because of his draft status.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I really hate to give up on this kid, but I don't think there's any way you can pay this kid any more than $1.5 million a season until he gets his shit together.

I'm not sure if we could do this, but if we signed Kakko for like $1.5 or $2 million a year for let's say....3 years.  Is it possible to send him down to Hartford without him having to clear waivers before next season??

I'm thinking somehow maybe we can hide him away until he gets his ass in gear.  I dunno, I just hate to give up on him...he seems like he could do it, if he could just stay on the fucking ice for a week!

I know you guys think he's a bust, and I'm not even gonna argue that, because he looks like he's going 100MPH down Bust Boulevard....I just don't wanna see this guy turn into another JT MIller, and have us wishing we would've just been a little more patient....that's all.

If you guys are right and draft status doesn’t play a role in Kakko geting an [undeserved] elevated cap hit, I’d keep him too. If he came in between 1.5-2, then you sign him. You can let Blais walk if needed for one of the other more important guys.

I just think it’s going to be a serious can of worms because I think this is trending towards “well my stats are what they are because I have not gotten the same opportunity to put stats up as other high end draft picks, and I still want to be paid”. Lafreniere and agent will be watching.

• VINNY! 1

6 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

If you guys are right and draft status doesn’t play a role in Kakko geting an [undeserved] elevated cap hit, I’d keep him too. If he came in between 1.5-2, then you sign him. You can let Blais walk if needed for one of the other more important guys.

I just think it’s going to be a serious can of worms because I think this is trending towards “well my stats are what they are because I have not gotten the same opportunity to put stats up as other high end draft picks, and I still want to be paid”. Lafreniere and agent will be watching.

If they can keep him cheap, sure, re-sign him.  Need to pay him for what he did though, not what he thinks he could have done.  NYR cannot afford to be doing that.

• Like 1

Patrick missed a whole season with a migraine issue that could have ended his career.  That's why he signed a cheap one year deal.  He then had 9 points in 54 games on the one year deal, which is why he got traded and signed a cheap 2 year deal.  Had Patrick not missed a year, and had a 3rd 30 point season, he'd have signed a different deal coming off his ELC.

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Patrick missed a whole season with a migraine issue that could have ended his career.  That's why he signed a cheap one year deal.  He then had 9 points in 54 games on the one year deal, which is why he got traded and signed a cheap 2 year deal.  Had Patrick not missed a year, and had a 3rd 30 point season, he'd have signed a different deal coming off his ELC.

Great. Kakko will have missed at least half of this season with injuries, too.

Just now, Phil said:

Great. Kakko will have missed at least half of this season with injuries, too.

Ok, missing half a season isn't missing a whole season, his injuries weren't career threatening, and he still maintained the 30 point pace.

If you think he's signing a one year deal for under $900k I don't know what to tell you.  He's looking at the same deal Chytil got.

29 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

And he'll get it.

They'll use Sam Bennett as a comparable. Bennett had 89 points in 241 games, Kakko will have 56 in 155. Something like 2.5% of the cap, so just over 2M.

Kakko may want a "prove-it" deal, though, and opt for a 1 year.

11 minutes ago, G1000 said:

They'll use Sam Bennett as a comparable. Bennett had 89 points in 241 games, Kakko will have 56 in 155. Something like 2.5% of the cap, so just over 2M.

Kakko may want a "prove-it" deal, though, and opt for a 1 year.

I like the "Prove it" deal idea, G Man. 

You know I've been one of the biggest advocates of this kid all year, and I gotta tell ya dude....I'm starting to look at @Phil's theory of "I'm not buying hope".  We have players like Othmann, and Cullye that will be making dents in this roster very soon.

Re-signing Kakko can't cause us to lose a Strome, or a maybe even one of the rentals who a few of us have fell in love with.  I think Vatrano maybe be the best player we've traded for in a long time.  ....Fucking guy does it all.

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens with this kid....we sure as hell didn't miss him much this season, or so that record indicates.