• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Injured Again; "Weak, Too Weak" with Lower-Body Injury

Phil

25 minutes ago, G1000 said:

They'll use Sam Bennett as a comparable. Bennett had 89 points in 241 games, Kakko will have 56 in 155. Something like 2.5% of the cap, so just over 2M.

Kakko may want a "prove-it" deal, though, and opt for a 1 year.

1 year 1.2-1.5M is probably fair for both sides. The injuries may have been a blessing in disguise because there’s more money to work with next summer, with the remaining 3.5M of dead cap finally going away.

Hope is what ELC bonuses are for. They're conditional based on that hope becoming reality. I'm never paying market value for that. If it's me, it's a one-year deal worth less than $2M and any long-term outlook is based on him progressing and staying healthy.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hope is what ELC bonuses are for. They're conditional based on that hope becoming reality. I'm never paying market value for that. If it's me, it's a one-year deal worth less than $2M and any long-term outlook is based on him progressing and staying healthy.

That's exactly why the 1 year prove it deal makes so much sense for him. We aren't going to deny the talent is there, but we're also not going to sit here and pretend that he's played up to it.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

I watched that shift again where he fell and hurt himself.  He actually skated off the ice after the fall, and seemed to be using both legs, albeit he was favoring his leg a tiny bit.  It sure as hell didn't look like a sprained MCL/ACL or anything nasty like that.

13 minutes ago, G1000 said:

That's exactly why the 1 year prove it deal makes so much sense for him. We aren't going to deny the talent is there, but we're also not going to sit here and pretend that he's played up to it.

Exactly. One-year. $1.5M, give or take. Perform and stay healthy and we'll talk extension as soon as January. End up on the shelf, again, or disappoint, again, and we won't.

He's also approaching arbitration eligibility after next season, if he doesn't qualify already, so I'd be looking at another Nolan Patrick-like solution if things don't pan out: a trade.

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly. One-year. $1.5M, give or take. Perform and stay healthy and we'll talk extension as soon as January. End up on the shelf, again, or disappoint, again, and we won't.

He's also approaching arbitration eligibility after next season, if he doesn't qualify already, so I'd be looking at another Nolan Patrick-like solution if things don't pan out: a trade.

Yup. 

And we're ALL going to root hard for him to be worth that extension. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

48 minutes ago, G1000 said:

This!  a 1 year prove it deal would make sense for both sides imo because what talent is  currently there that he's not playing up to (other than physically not be able to stay healthy). He does have  his draft position to fall back on but that's not talent.  I don't think it's unfair to say we have no idea what this guy is, what his NHL talent level is.  He's shown so very little since coming into the league when he's been healthy. 

Phil mentions not pay for hope and I agree you can't and shouldn't do it under such a tight cap situation.  For conversations sake what is the hope going forward? Again other than he can stay on the ice.

• Phil changed the title to Kakko Injured Again; "Weak, Too Weak" with Lower-Body Injury

I know we were talking about a one year prove it deal but that probably isn’t a great idea Rangers wise if they actually believe in him. You’re going to want to try and give him a 2-3 year deal for cap reasons. Obviously no way he takes a 1m deal for 3 years.

we go into this offseason with around 11m cap space.  We probably use every penny of that in one way or another even if we shed Chytil/Nemeth cap. We have 23m cap space going into the 23/24 offseason but that’s including the 11m cap space this coming offseason which we will be using.

That means that following offseason we probably have 12m in cap space with Miller and Laf plus whoever else is up for a roster spot (backup G if we only did a one year deal, Reaves roster spot, Hunt, etc).

If we plan to keep Kakko and the rest of our team in tact, he needs a two year deal for around 2m or so otherwise if he happens to start performing, a show me deal prices him out anyway.

I don't see the benefit with a 1 year deal. Either he proves himself and we can't afford him next season or he has another meh season and we're stuck with the exact same problem next year.

I'd try to go for 3 years, even if it means 2.5-3m per. We need to find value contract and Kakko at 2.5m between 2023-2025 COULD be a really good value contract.

If he sucks next season we can just trade him. Even at 2.5m it will be no problem to trade him if needed.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 5:48 AM, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I don't see the benefit with a 1 year deal. Either he proves himself and we can't afford him next season or he has another meh season and we're stuck with the exact same problem next year.

I'd try to go for 3 years, even if it means 2.5-3m per. We need to find value contract and Kakko at 2.5m between 2023-2025 COULD be a really good value contract.

If he sucks next season we can just trade him. Even at 2.5m it will be no problem to trade him if needed.

I'll pass on that gamble. 1.8? Sure. No way I'm giving him over 2 mil for producing nothing.