• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Guy Lafleur Passes Away at Age 70

The Dude

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/montreal-canadiens-legend-guy-lafleur-dies-at-age-70/

The Rangers got Guy when I first started watching hockey.  Only a few years later is when I learned that the Rangers had a tendency to get legends to play for them years past their prime. 

From what I remember he did alright for an older man who I believe came out of retirement to play for the Rangers. 

RIP. 

• Phil changed the title to Guy Lafleur Passes Away at Age 70

Man, all these guys from when I was a kid are just passing on in droves!

I watched Guy Lafleur his whole career.  He was a sensational talent in his prime.  I read he died of lung cancer...Rest peacefully, Guy...and thanks for the memories!

RIP. For some reason I thought he was a Ranger for more than one year, but that's cool he got to play here, even though he obviously wasn't the player he was. He was probably better than some of the other Hall of Famers who played here well past their prime during that time period.

Generations like mine never saw the great play and grace Guy showed every night, that goal against Boston in Game 7 of the 1979 Semi-Finals showed how clutch he was as well. Rest in peace, Guy, with all the greats of hockey past. 

• VINNY! 1

On 4/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, Sharpshooter said:

I was curious why he was only on the Rangers for one year, and where he went next. He was traded to the Nordiques for a fifth round pick. With that pick, the Rangers drafted Sergei Zubov. Thanks for coming out of retirement with us, Guy!

Because Phil Esposito ran the Rangers like a sugared up 12 year old? He later confessed trading Kelly Miller and Mike Ridley for Robby Carpenter and ...that was about it, was an awful trade. Without any doubt the craziest season in Rangers history. Somehow he managed not to trade away brian Leetch for a box of magic beans. Espo fired Michele Beregeron the last week of the season and coached himself during a disasterous first round loss to the Pens.