• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#80) Rangers vs Carolina Hurricanes — Fight for First Place

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Credit to Carolina. In a brutally tight East, they remained the top dog in the Metro a good chunk of the year. They will be a very tough opponent for us IF we take care of business and IF they take care of business. I don’t see many holes in their game.

I don’t think they’re much better than the rangers but for some reason the rangers can’t seem to figure them out.  Hope we don’t play them in the playoffs. 

• Phil unpinned this topic

Let's just hope the Canes keep having goalie issues. This kid wasn't really challenged and with the Chytil/Kakko version of goalies in Rantaa the Canes are going to have to hitch their wagon to whomever is healthy.

I don't think Andersson can bounce back 100%, with what might be a groin injury. At 32, such injuries may take a long time and it should keep him a little uneasy thinking he may re-injure it. Their weaknesses has always been their goaltending,  but now it might be a much bigger deal. 

Gotta expose that. 

Edited by The Dude

43 minutes ago, siddious said:

I don’t think they’re much better than the rangers but for some reason the rangers can’t seem to figure them out.  Hope we don’t play them in the playoffs. 

I think they outwork the Rangers for 45 minutes, and then when they get tired, the Rangers get going. That's twice now that the Canes let the foot off the gas in the third against us and almost paid for it in points.

I almost wonder if the way to beat this team in a series is just to rope-a-dope them. 

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, br-avery said:

problem is Braun is more useless

Then go to Hajek. Go to Tinordi. Jones. Anything. I'd rather Jack Johnson. Seriously. 

I can't stress enough on how useless a player Hunt is. It's really bothering me.

Brodzinski should no doubt play over him. I'd rather Mckegg though too. Atleast that sexy mother fucker can win a faceoff or something hockey related. Hunt does nothing. He's a twerp, and totally ineffective in any facet. 

Reaves? Fuck him too. Buy out after the season.  Nothing productive. A penalty waiting to happen and he is deterring nothing. If we face Washington  in round 1, or 2, Wilson will do as he pleases to the Rangers. This loud mouth shit talker has been a dead weight for months now. 

I wish Blais could come back. They need that dude. They need some fuckin balls. I was hoping Drury would have added some more depth at the deadline, with all that left over cap space. Stack the roster. Phil Kessel as the 13th forward.  Riley Nash off of waivers for a ballsy 4th liner that wont let his team get run all game. Anything to push Hunt, Gauthier, McKegg and Reaves down a peg on the depth chart and to have a proven player as a back up if a top 6 forward got hurt. 

If Copp isn't going into playoffs at 75%, they are screwed. Nevermind if Panarin nursing anything. 

Jesus, it's looking like they are going to really, seriously rely on Kakko being an impact player. Lafreniere has stepped it up. Maybe he shines if and when they have to lean on him. 

Sky is starting to fall. This loss and the last, shows this team has yet to figure out their competition, whom all play playoff style hockey and do as they please against the Rangers.  They harder to play against guys brought in, have become somewhat easy to play against.

Rope-a-dope gives you a puncher’s chance IF you’re punching. We had so many opportunities late to score not one, not two but at least three goals. We were ‘off’ tonight for sure but I wouldn’t go into a ‘Canes series thinking we can tire them out and beat them late. Not if we’re not flowing like warm honey. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank

7 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think they outwork the Rangers for 45 minutes, and then when they get tired, the Rangers get going. That's twice now that the Canes let the foot off the gas in the third against us and almost paid for it in points.

I almost wonder if the way to beat this team in a series is just to rope-a-dope them. 

Really good point. I noticed the same. I'm not sure if the Canes get tired or they just stop forechecking to protect the lead...which ironically seems to not work out for them as well as just continuing on forechecking.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I don’t think they’re much better, or even better at all. It’s 2 totally different teams. I just think their style of play is a bad matchup for the Rangers. 

Boston has enough experience and playoff know-how to give Carolina a run in Round 1; especially if they’re playing goalie carousel if Andersen is missing time. That being said, I still would have to imagine that Carolina, who also has playoff experience, would ultimately win that series. They handled Boston pretty good this year, if memory serves correctly. And all in all, I just think they’re better than the Bruins.

Doesn’t mean we can hope!

As for us? These 2 games are literally the most meaningless games I can remember playing. Georgiev likely gets tomorrow, and I’d imagine Friday too. You don’t want players getting rusty, or shying away from contact or generating any bad habits ahead of next week. Slippery slope here for Gallant. But he’s been down this road before, and I’m sure will handle it just fine.

I was hoping for a little better feel from this one, but all we came away with was some bruises on a couple of our top players and our confidence.

Let's just get to the playoffs healthy and never mind these games that don't mean a blessed thing right now!

....And here are the Top 5 nominees for Ozzy’s Quote of the GDT:

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

Come on Strome use that muffin of yours! 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

OMFG Panarin just sent Slavin skates back to Carolina. 

3 hours ago, G1000 said:

My 3 year old is watching with me and just observed that "if the players are naughty they go to hockey jail".

3 hours ago, josh said:

Skjei-ky skates 

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Igor needs a handy between periods to lift his spirits. 

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @G1000 G-Man's 3 year old, who seems have more hockey sense than some of the zebras employed by the NHL.

I'm thinking, fuck these last 2 games and rest everyone. 

Bring on the scrub-stitutes!

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

This, we need to stop trying to beat this team at their own game because it won’t work. Just ice the puck, chip out of zone and let them have it. They’re not big and not particularly talented. Play the zone d and keep them outside.

So, since this is the gdt and what happens tonight is game day worthy, I figured I’d share this little nugget. I come up to bed, fairly inebriated just now …..wife asleep since the 2nd period…all good right? Wife tries to pull the sheets and instead smacks me right in the face “accidentally.” She gets up to go to the bathroom and I I say “wtf, you just hit me?” She goes in a slurring 3/4 asleep voice “are you sure? Wanna cry about it?” 

FFS she should dress instead of Reaves. I sense more toughness. 

• LMFAO 2

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

So, since this is the gdt and what happens tonight is game day worthy, I figured I’d share this little nugget. I come up to bed, fairly inebriated just now …..wife asleep since the 2nd period…all good right? Wife tries to pull the sheets and instead smacks me right in the face “accidentally.” She gets up to go to the bathroom and I I say “wtf, you just hit me?” She goes in a slurring 3/4 asleep voice “are you sure? Wanna cry about it?” 

In after the decision, or this wins the Quote of the GDT!!  LOL

• LMFAO 1

Did Strome play? Guy is a  dissappearing act somehwere between Claude Raines and Derek "1 assist" Stepan. For fuck's sake, give his PP slot to Yukon already and be done with it.

Edited by Bugg

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

I sense more toughness too. Sounds like she’s got your nuts in her Louis Vuitton Twist.

• LMFAO 1

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Did Strome play? Guy is a  dissappearing act somehwere between Claude Raines and Derek "1 assist" Stepan. For fuck's sake, give his PP slot to Yukon already and be done with it.

Yea when 2/3 of his line went down, he should have put the team on his back playing with Lafreniere and Chytil.

But he should also take $5.5 from the team because he's just not that good.

The whining just to whine is very whiny.

10 hours ago, G1000 said:

Thats why I want a Canes/Bruins series, Bruins can wear them down.  I can't see the Canes keep up that type of intensity game after game after game in the playoffs especially if they play a heavy team.  

• VINNY! 1

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

Thats why I want a Canes/Bruins series, Bruins can wear them down.  I can't see the Canes keep up that type of intensity game after game after game in the playoffs especially if they play a heavy team.  

I don't think I agree with this.

The Canes are a heavy team. They ain't the Leafs. They can play it any way you want. That's what makes them dangerous.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think I agree with this.

The Canes are a heavy team. They ain't the Leafs. They can play it any way you want. That's what makes them dangerous.

They are a heavy team, for sure. The forechecking is incredible. But to me what makes the Canes so effective is they make you play the way they want through their aggresive forecheck. If the exit pass out of the DZ isn’t perfectly crisp, they are all over it and they put it right back in the OZ. And there always seems to be a lot of pressure on the defensemen to make sure that exit pass isn’t crisp. They dictate the play.

Quick and clean outlet passes to counter their forecheck, start getting the puck deep on them and exposing their defensemen, who outside of Slavin really aren’t all that special, is really how the script can get flipped on them. But obviously way easier said than done.

• Bullseye 1

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea when 2/3 of his line went down, he should have put the team on his back playing with Lafreniere and Chytil.

But he should also take $5.5 from the team because he's just not that good.

The whining just to whine is very whiny.

Does this guy ever come thru when it matters? Did he do anything worthwhile last night? Does he ever? Or does he dissappear again like he always does. Not looking for him to be Wayne Fuckin' Gretzky, just for him to DO SOMETHING, other than act like a dead zone lead weight on the PP. You are the first guy to rip Laf and Kakko, but somehow a guy who has lived on the reflected glory of said linemates gets a total pass. 

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Does this guy ever come thru when it matters? Did he do anything worthwhile last night? Does he ever? Or does he dissappear again like he always does. Not looking for him to be Wayne Fuckin' Gretzky, just for him to DO SOMETHING, other than act like a dead zone lead weight on the PP. You are the first guy to rip Laf and Kakko, but somehow a guy who has lived on the reflected glory of said linemates gets a total pass. 

Laughable to compare him to Laf and Kakko. 

You can't whine that a guy is a product of linemates and then also whine when he doesn't have his linemates and does "nothing", yet...He was on the ice when Lafreniere scored, despite not getting an 🍎

Odd that you're not asking where the $8M 1C was last night, though. Secondary assist with 24 minutes. Where was Fox? Besides giving the puck away? 

But yes let's blame Strome, if that's your agenda. Just seems an odd choice on your part regarding who to complain about.

Edited by Pete

15 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

They are a heavy team, for sure. The forechecking is incredible. But to me what makes the Canes so effective is they make you play the way they want through their aggresive forecheck. If the exit pass out of the DZ isn’t perfectly crisp, they are all over it and they put it right back in the OZ. And there always seems to be a lot of pressure on the defensemen to make sure that exit pass isn’t crisp. They dictate the play.

Quick and clean outlet passes to counter their forecheck, start getting the puck deep on them and exposing their defensemen, who outside of Slavin really aren’t all that special, is really how the script can get flipped on them. But obviously way easier said than done.

Agree with most of this, although Pesce and Cole are no slouches on D.