• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECQF #1: (2M) Rangers vs. (3M) Pittsburgh Penguins — to War!

Phil

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

The Rangers top 6 and top defenseman accounted for all 3 goals tonight. The Pens top 6 accounted for one extra one...the last one. It was close. The Pens also got 4 PPs. There was over 100 minutes of hockey played and the Rangers got one PP. Let's think about that for a minute. I think the game wouldn't have even gone OT if the Rangers got the calls the Pens did. I'm not excusing the Rangers' play after the 1st period, but it still needs to be said.

Also there was that reversed goal that never should've been reversed. The call on the ice was goal. To overturn it, there had to be conclusive evidence there was interference. Could you make a case for it? Sure. However it wasn't conclusive, and that's the thing to me.

Kakko probably should've just shot it instead of swerving, but you get my point.

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Also there was that reversed goal that never should've been reversed. The call on the ice was goal. To overturn it, there had to be conclusive evidence there was interference. Could you make a case for it? Sure. However it wasn't conclusive, and that's the thing to me.

Kakko probably should've just shot it instead of swerving, but you get my point.

I can look at both sides and see an argument why it should have counted and why it shouldn't have. What makes me mad is if it was other way around, i guarantee that goal would have counted.

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, -ERIK- said:

I can look at both sides and see an argument why it should have counted and why it shouldn't have. What makes me mad is if it was other way around, i guarantee that goal would have counted.

Definitely. But again, it can go both ways, but that's not conclusive enough to overturn the on ice call.

• JIMMY! 1

36 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Panarin must be playing hurt (bad), guy was soft/passive as I’ve ever seen him tonight. 

I do t k ow why we think this narrative. He played tonight’s game exactly how he played all year. It just doesn’t fit with the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Definitely. But again, it can go both ways, but that's not conclusive enough to overturn the on ice call.

Somehow the refs/Situation Room found a phantom replay that conclusively showed Kakko went into the goalie under his own steam and made no conscious effort to take avoiding action. Hard to imagine that he would've collided with the goalie without the Dumolin shove but, frankly the Rangers should've been leading the game even prior to that point.

Edited by Karan

5 hours ago, Keirik said:

I do t k ow why we think this narrative. He played tonight’s game exactly how he played all year. It just doesn’t fit with the playoffs. 

Been a concern that this could play out. Panarin's game is staying on the outside, waiting for a passing lane to open up or a mismatch and  passing to an open guy. In the playoffs there isn't time and space for that. He has to adjust. Simply cannot keep passing instead of taking an open shot. PEns' OT is how the playoffs work; get bodies i f o the goalie and get shots on net. There are no style points. 

Would also help if the refs didn't fuck them, but you know going in Pens are Gary's favorite team. 

4 hours ago, Karan said:

Somehow the refs/Situation Room found a phantom replay that conclusively showed Kakko went into the goalie under his own steam and made no conscious effort to take avoiding action. Hard to imagine that he would've collided with the goalie without the Dumolin shove but, frankly the Rangers should've been leading the game even prior to that point.

Sinking feeling after a dominant 1st period a 1 goal and briefly 2 goal lead early 2nd would not enough. Again not enough shots, nobody i f o DeSmith much of the early going even with a great first 25 mins. 

We knew this team would need to learn how to win, and they got lesson #1 in Game 1.

On the bright side, Pittsburgh barely beat a team that has a goalie, 90pt forward, Norris winner on D who all have more to give... All the while getting no breaks at all from the refs to Lindgren injury etc. 

The third line was fantastic and if they keep their play up, they'll be difference makers. Even Kakko was oozing confidence on the disallowed goal. 

It's fine

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Believe 3

Power plays 4-1

bullshit in the goal being overturned 

Does Crosby just go around hanging out with all the nhl officials and charming then all off-season? Because they fucking love him 

so pissed. Pussy refs and pussy Toronto don’t want any kind of ‘controversy’ so they’d rather make shit calls and hope for the best. Because god forbid the city of Pittsburgh be angry at how a game went. 

Still fuming. 

also still confident we are the better team and will win this series. 

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

We knew this team would need to learn how to win, and they got lesson #1 in Game 1.

On the bright side, Pittsburgh barely beat a team that has a goalie, 90pt forward, Norris winner on D who all have more to give... All the while getting no breaks at all from the refs to Lindgren injury etc. 

The third line was fantastic and if they keep their play up, they'll be difference makers. Even Kakko was oozing confidence on the disallowed goal. 

It's fine

I agree mostly but I wouldn't expect the officiating to change much.  Also it is a little concerning that the 90 point forward and Norris winner have had their issues in the past playing playoff style hockey in the past.  Not to mention it seems that Crosby is far from old and is by far the best player on the ice.  His line was dominate, confident and the Rangers had no answers for them.  Series is far from over but the Rangers have some major adjustments to make.

Team is young and a triple ot loss right away is a great way to learn. Most of these guys have never even played playoffs before. Now they played two games. Can’t hope for more than that if we’re not winning this year which, let’s face it, is a long shot 

7 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think Zib had a really good game.

Panarin on the other hand, oof. 2 SOG, 0 points, -1 and lots of turnovers while playing 32 minutes.

Yea I’m retrospect I may have been too harsh on Zib there.

oh well it’s a 7 game series

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Yea I’m retrospect I may have been too harsh on Zib there.

oh well it’s a 7 game series

I felt there was something off with the 1st line yesterday, didn't really get going 5v5, but Zib with two primary assists, played big, tough minutes, 55% on the draw. He didn't dictate the game, but he was good enough.

Kreids had a shortie and an assist and a couple nice hits, but I would like to see him a bit more engaged. Get that big body to the net. I remember especially one chance in OT where he had a step on the defender and could take the puck to the net, but instead opted for a weak shot from almost the blueline.

Panarin I think we all agreed sucked last night. He was back to hugging the left wall all game. He had a run of games before the last injury where he was flying all over the ice, but now it's back to the usual bs. Strome and Copp had really good games, they carried that line.

Kids line - Awesome. Unfortunately they was on the ice for the OT goal and Chytil with a questionable defensive play, but this game is not on them. They played better than I ever could imagine, even Chytil. Big ups to all three of them, hope to see more of this.

4th line did it's job. Barely even noticed Goodrow, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I felt there was something off with the 1st line yesterday, didn't really get going 5v5, but Zib with two primary assists, played big, tough minutes, 55% on the draw. He didn't dictate the game, but he was good enough.

Kreids had a shortie and an assist and a couple nice hits, but I would like to see him a bit more engaged. Get that big body to the net. I remember especially one chance in OT where he had a step on the defender and could take the puck to the net, but instead opted for a weak shot from almost the blueline.

Panarin I think we all agreed sucked last night. He was back to hugging the left wall all game. He had a run of games before the last injury where he was flying all over the ice, but now it's back to the usual bs. Strome and Copp had really good games, they carried that line.

Kids line - Awesome. Unfortunately they was on the ice for the OT goal and Chytil with a questionable defensive play, but this game is not on them. They played better than I ever could imagine, even Chytil. Big ups to all three of them, hope to see more of this.

4th line did it's job. Barely even noticed Goodrow, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Agree with all of this. 

hope Lindgrens okay- not a good start physically for the rangers playing basically two games and losing your top defensive defenseman (or if not losing him then likely being not at 100%)