• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Is the 'Major Change' to Toronto This Summer?

Phil

Yes. You still can't even board a domestic flight, or train, without Vax verification.

As far as border crossings go, it's a bit murky to me, as it seems you can get around certain aspects by driving to border, but in Bertuzzi's case, he couldn't enter the US without a Vax, I think. So, it's a US issue.

All of this, of course, is completely insane, like my last Vax I got almost a year ago somehow provides me any degree of personal protection, let alone reduced transmisibility, at this point, but it's pretty obvious that the government is dead set on spiting people who didn't receive it, alas that's a debate for another thread.

Then this is undoubtedly a dead idea until that's not the case. But that's the right kind of player they should probably be looking for.

Here's another crazy idea: Nazem Kadri. There's already talk they need to move Tavares to wing because he's too slow to play center. If Nylander goes to open up room, why not bring back Naz?

Scoring goals or goaltending isn't much of an issue for TOR but they definitely need some help on defense. I can't see them letting go of the Keefe as his philosophy is so closely ingrained with Dubas. So I'm going with Marner or Nylander get traded for a top-2 defenseman. 

• VINNY! 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Then this is undoubtedly a dead idea until that's not the case. But that's the right kind of player they should probably be looking for.

Here's another crazy idea: Nazem Kadri. There's already talk they need to move Tavares to wing because he's too slow to play center. If Nylander goes to open up room, why not bring back Naz?

Because we're signing him to replace Strome?

No major changes expected.

https://www.nhl.com/news/toronto-maple-leafs-coach-general-manager-returning/c-334150140

'Toronto Maple Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe and general manager Kyle Dubas will be back next season, president Brendan Shanahan said Tuesday....Shanahan also said he does not expect significant changes to the roster in the offseason.'

"We share in everybody's frustration in not getting the job done. Certainly as we look forward to next year, there's always going to be new faces. That being said, we will not be making changes just simply for the sake of saying we made changes." Shanahan said.

The smart, if not the only realistic move, to make.

They'll lose Mihkeyev and other UFAs, keep Campbell, and get more youth/speed into their bottom-six and just hope for a better result. Hard to look at that result, that regular season, everything, and think "yeah, nuke it." They looked good. They just lost.

If they just didn't match up well with Boston in past years and Tampa Bay this year, that's an explanation.  But it still doesn't excuse losing to Montreal last year or Columbus 2 years ago.

I look at the top 6 and see they produced this year, so maybe they are ready to make a deep run.  Ultimately it depends on whether their core will produce in the playoffs, they certainly are talented enough to do so.

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20212022&seasonTo=20212022&gameType=3&playerPlayedFor=franchise.5&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists&page=0&pageSize=50

I like mocking Toronto as much as the next guy, but from a detached standpoint, I would stay the course with this team.  I remember the first two games they played against us this year, and they were like night and day compared to the previous year in terms of defensive discipline.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, Phil said:

I feel like the market demanded a greater sacrifice last year. Seeing the reactions of fans since this loss, there doesn't appear to be a huge desire to lob someone's head off like there was after the first-round loss a year ago. And for good reason: this team played hard. If you look back at the regular season + playoffs, it basically went Leafs-Lightning-Leafs-Lightning-Leafs-Lightning, tit-for-tat for like ten straigtht games. Leafs then lost an incredibly close game seven.

If it were me, personally, I wouldn't change anything. I'd invite Spezza to coach and let go of all the greybeards. Give Robertson all the leash he needs to be a regular, and run it back with a more youthful fourth line. Mikheyev likely leaves in free agency, they keep Campbell, and you just go again.

The big move is no big move. Leafs shuffle the deck chairs and keep everything mostly the same. Add a couple of old scrubs and repeat the last 7 years or whatever. 

Never seen a team accept moral victories as real victories so often. Don't forget they got respect in the handshake line this year. Big stuff.

• LMFAO 1