• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 WCF: (1C) Colorado Avalanche vs. (2P) Edmonton Oilers

Phil

Who wins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

This is partially on Ken Holland. It's like the FO had so little faith in the team they couldn't even be bothered to find an actual goaltender for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Well, Holland is a dope. But... Do you really blame him? Also, how many goalies moved at the deadline? Was Scott Wedgewood gonna help? Was MAF going to EDM? 

The Oilers thought they had Markstrom signed before he swerved them last-minute and went to Calgary. That's why they ended up stuck with running back Smith again.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The Oilers thought they had Markstrom signed before he swerved them last-minute and went to Calgary. That's why they ended up stuck with running back Smith again.

I know, but they had all season to address that.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I know, but they had all season to address that.

Oh, no doubt. It's rare goalies move in-season, but I agree, it was critical for them to find better insurance than a Smith-Koskinen tandem.

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

This is partially on Ken Holland. It's like the FO had so little faith in the team they couldn't even be bothered to find an actual goaltender for the playoffs.

You forget about Chiarelli and the ridiculous contract he handed out to Koskinen? Only so much Holland can do to fix the mistakes of the previous mgmt. 

48 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

To be fair, it's not all on Smith at age 41. He showed some amazing acrobatic skills making huge, highlight-reel saves. Then he allowed Bantam Hockey goals that seemed to doom EDM. Front Office? They gambled and lost. #getfucked

Yup. Smith didn't really steal any games for them, nor is he capable at this stage, but for the most part gave them a chance to win. Which frankly should be adequate when you have McD + Drai. But the team lacks any sort of defensive structure. The amount of odd-man and high danger chances they give up is ridiculous. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Traded Talbot for Stolarz 3 seasons ago, which is hard to understand. Talbot was a free agent before last season. Or could've dumped some young talent they never cease bragging about on the CBH for MAF. You have 2 of the best talents up front in the game and you let things come down to Mike Smith shitting the bed over and over. 

1 hour ago, Karan said:

You forget about Chiarelli and the ridiculous contract he handed out to Koskinen? Only so much Holland can do to fix the mistakes of the previous mgmt. 

It's an expiring 4.5 million dollar contract. Include a 3rd rounder, and it's gone. I don't really see it as a great excuse, here, though maybe it ultimately didn't matter what goalie was in there, unless you pulled a '97 CuJo out of a hat.

I'd be legit pissed if I were McDavid or Draisaitl. You carry your team all season, carry them to the WCF, and fucking MIKE SMITH is your fucking goalie. 

Did EDM really think they were winning the cup with a 40 year old goalie? 

40 year old Hank? Maybe. 

40 year old MIKE SMITH?! LOL. 

Stupid fucking organization and I'd be pissed if I were the stars. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

It seems like it is nearly impossible to get high stick goals reversed if they are called good goals on the ice.  Koharski exclaimed "holy shit" because he thought it was too high, but Toronto still wouldn't reverse.

Lots of rest for Colorado.  The planets seem to be aligning for them.

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still makes me wonder how they managed to beat Calgary in a 7 game series.....

Calgary was 3rd in goals against all year, then they gave up 25 goals in 5 games. I didn’t watch enough of the series, but it would lead me to believe that it was a combination of Markstrom choking and team defense falling apart. Don’t know how else a team with strong GA numbers gets blasted so heavily

Edited by rmc51
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's an expiring 4.5 million dollar contract. Include a 3rd rounder, and it's gone. I don't really see it as a great excuse, here, though maybe it ultimately didn't matter what goalie was in there, unless you pulled a '97 CuJo out of a hat.

Yeah even if they had managed to acquire Markstrom, they weren't winning more than 1-2 games at Colorado at the very most so doesn't change the outcome of their season. The team seems to lack any sort of defensive structure and the forwards for the most part aren't too interested in helping out with 5-man defense.