• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 ECF #1: (2M) Rangers vs. (3A) Tampa Bay Lightning — Weathering Another Storm

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

Nah. This is having your team's back and trying to get a psychological advantage. I'm 100% for it. 

The point is that shit helps TBL psychologically more than it does the Rangers. I'm very much a believer in humility, karma, and not getting ahead of where we actually are. Now is not the time to get full of ourselves but to enjoy, appreciate, and marvel at how far we've come with the full knowledge that TBL is a 2-time champ that played way below their standard in Game 1. Those chants violate all those instincts and I wish they'd STFU.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You ain't kidding, Morph!!! 

That was the, "just let him go for 2 seconds" smirk of death!!!

Which I didn't get.

By all means, break up a mismatch like if Maroon is going after Fox or someone. But let the two heavyweights go at it. Having the linesman trying to corral Reaves and Maroon meant Motte was just taking punches from that clown Foote. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

Which I didn't get.

By all means, break up a mismatch like if Maroon is going after Fox or someone. But let the two heavyweights go at it. Having the linesman trying to corral Reaves and Maroon meant Motte was just taking punches from that clown Foote. 

Oh they'll go...probably down in Tampa.  Maroon fought him down there in March if you remember.  He looked like he didn't want much to do with Reaves.  SMART MOVE!

I found it:

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

The point is that shit helps TBL psychologically more than it does the Rangers. I'm very much a believer in humility, karma, and not getting ahead of where we actually are. Now is not the time to get full of ourselves but to enjoy, appreciate, and marvel at how far we've come with the full knowledge that TBL is a 2-time champ that played way below their standard in Game 1. Those chants violate all those instincts and I wish they'd STFU.

I don't usually find myself in this spot but I actually disagree with you this time. I'm not really sure how being loudly derided by 18200 fans helps Tampa in any way. What, because they get bulletin board material? Why the hell should you fight for home ice if your home rink is just going to be humble and kind to the opposition? Tampa can't match that; heck, they're going to have all kinds of fits keeping Rangers fans out of their arena.

To me, this is just a far more creative way of booing the star player, and I am ALL FOR IT to put a very skillful team on any kind of tilt. I want them to absolutely dread coming back here for game 5. I want them to think that if they need to win a game at the Garden, it will feel like having their nutsacks dragged across coarse-grain sandpaper for 80 years. 

This is what the Rangers got home ice for. This is the advantage. Press it, and press it hard.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

• Phil unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Shots were 25-22 Rangers after 2. They went up 3 within the first minute of the 3rd and 4 within the first 6 minutes. Tampa put up 17 shots in the 3rd…13 of which came after the Rangers went up 4. Basically the Rangers took it easy and TB still couldn’t score.

I know he posts these graphics after every game….but this one doesn’t mean much. It’s also kind of hard to give a shit about fancy stats right now.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't usually find myself in this spot but I actually disagree with you this time. I'm not really sure how being loudly derided by 18200 fans helps Tampa in any way. What, because they get bulletin board material? Why the hell should you fight for home ice if your home rink is just going to be humble and kind to the opposition? Tampa can't match that; heck, they're going to have all kinds of fits keeping Rangers fans out of their arena.

To me, this is just a far more creative way of booing the star player, and I am ALL FOR IT to put a very skillful team on any kind of tilt. I want them to absolutely dread coming back here for game 5. I want them to think that if they need to win a game at the Garden, it will feel like having their nutsacks dragged across coarse-grain sandpaper for 80 years. 

This is what the Rangers got home ice for. This is the advantage. Press it, and press it hard.

I don't think there's a right answer to this, but here's how I perceive it. There is nothing wrong with loud or derisive. I want the Garden to be as inhospitable an atmosphere as possible for any opponent. But that should come more from raw energy than cutesy shit. If I'm, say, Ryan McDonagh, I hear "Igor is better" chants and I think, "What? Yeah Igor had one great regular season. But my guy Vasilevskiy has gone to war on the highest levels of battle and repeatedly emerged victorious on fields Shesterkin hasn't yet had the privilege to be on. These fucks didn't even make the playoffs last year and they think they're at our level and can run my goaltender down like he's some shit? Not on my watch. These people don't even know what they don't know about winning the Conference Finals - much less the Stanley Cup Finals - and I am personally going to shove that fact up their asses."

I see it as giving the gift of motivation. Cliches, particularly Biblical ones, don't often run hot for me. But "pride goeth before a fall" is something that has resonated in my life. I'd feel it differently if we were up 3-1 or, better yet, after we proved that we could beat them in a 7-game series. But after 1 fucking game when we're about to get a major pushback response from a very good, massively battle tested team it sets off alarm bells for me. The Bolts have two Cups and we stumbled through a couple series. Strut, preen, and swing your dick if you want when you have proven you're the best, not when it will just bolster the opposition.

I understand that people react to it differently.

• Bullseye 1

7 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

I don't think there's a right answer to this, but here's how I perceive it. There is nothing wrong with loud or derisive. I want the Garden to be as inhospitable an atmosphere as possible for any opponent. But that should come more from raw energy than cutesy shit. If I'm, say, Ryan McDonagh, I hear "Igor is better" chants and I think, "What? Yeah Igor had one great regular season. But my guy Vasilevskiy has gone to war on the highest levels of battle and repeatedly emerged victorious on fields Shesterkin hasn't yet had the privilege to be on. These fucks didn't even make the playoffs last year and they think they're at our level and can run my goaltender down like he's some shit? Not on my watch. These people don't even know what they don't know about winning the Conference Finals - much less the Stanley Cup Finals - and I am personally going to shove that fact up their asses."

I see it as giving the gift of motivation. Cliches, particularly Biblical ones, don't often run hot for me. But "pride goeth before a fall" is something that has resonated in my life. I'd feel it differently if we were up 3-1 or, better yet, after we proved that we could beat them in a 7-game series. But after 1 fucking game when we're about to get a major pushback response from a very good, massively battle tested team it sets off alarm bells for me. The Bolts have two Cups and we stumbled through a couple series. Strut, preen, and swing your dick if you want when you have proven you're the best, not when it will just bolster the opposition.

So true. The attempt to get a psychological advantage for the Rangers may actually be giving Tampa the advantage. It’s a double-edged sword. Should be interesting to see what the response is from both clubs tomorrow.

16 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

I think you're over thinking this one to be honest. It's just a bit of banter, and apart from the atmosphere of a raucous home crow lifting the home team I don't think it has much if any impact on the game itself.

Ryan McDonagh certainly isn't out there having deep thoughts about what the home crowd is chanting in the Eastern Conference Final. He's out there doing his job.  If it was deeply personal or abusive, then I guess a team could rally around that. But Igor's better? Nah, I don't think so.

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, Gravesy said:

I think you're over thinking this one to be honest. It's just a bit of banter, and apart from the atmosphere of a raucous home crow lifting the home team I don't think it has much if any impact on the game itself.

Ryan McDonagh certainly isn't out there having deep thoughts about what the home crowd is chanting in the Eastern Conference Final. He's out there doing his job.  If it was deeply personal or abusive, then I guess a team could rally around that. But Igor's better? Nah, I don't think so.

Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time I overthought stuff. Just saying how it hits me. I think we can agree that TBL will be grabbing onto whatever they can to bring it hard in Game 2. I just hope we'll again be in the position to taunt, whether wise or not.

10 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time I overthought stuff. Just saying how it hits me. I think we can agree that TBL will be grabbing onto whatever they can to bring it hard in Game 2. I just hope we'll again be in the position to taunt, whether wise or not.

I mean, I don't know. It would just be really surprising to me if a championship team like Tampa would need or use something as trivial as that to get up for this fight. It'll be water off a ducks back imo, I doubt they've even given it a second thought.

Edited by Gravesy

2 hours ago, Gravesy said:

Yeah fans are fans. They say and do stupid stuff no matter the team or the situation. If Tampa Bay is really worried about something like that, they have bigger problems. lol